Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Repairable? Insurance write off

Views : 2504

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2016, 23:08   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
A good A & E doctor can pretty well confirm whether someone's got whiplash by a proper examination. Unfortunately the small minority of fraudulent claims, and the use of GP experts to save money (usually at the insurer's request) has played into the insurer's hands. As they have the Daily Mail's ear and the government in their pocket, to hell with fair compensation.
If you've ever had whiplash, you'll know how debilitating it is, and how long it can last.
The problem with whiplash is it is a rotten culture in the industry. It's easy money which is why so many people try to scam it. The last time I was rear-ended (3 years ago) my own insurer was effectively incentivising me to claim for whiplash. I refused to go the doctor and physio appointments that they had arranged for me (presumably at the t.p. expense) because apart from a few days of being stiff - there was nothing wrong with me. They then offered £1,000 saying that was the maximum as I'd declined the medical appointments - I never asked for anything.

I don't disagree that severe whiplash can be debilitating and long lasting but the majority of cases aren't in this league. The sooner this activity is properly regulated - the better.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 19th, 2016 at 23:10.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 23:18   #12
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I guess it depends a lot on your insurance company. This was a previous XC70 of mine which was 11 years old, had 220,00 miles on it and was valued at £3250. The repair quote was £2500 (2 doors and bent B-pillar) and Admiral were prepared to pay that to get it fixed. I couldn't see the logic of them spending so much money on a high mileage vehicle, so I requested cash settlement and put the money towards another one.

Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 23:25   #13
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Don't underestimate your injury.

I had a slow speed rear ended. No injury so I thought but ever since then I have what can be described as frozen shoulder ever couple days. I didn't claim as I didn't suffer at the time. But now I wish I had.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 04:55   #14
Wooders

My personal view re claims, is you shouldn't be out of pocket for a none fault claim, if the insurance aren't going to give you the value to replace the car like for like then,make the difference up.

To repair your car, to safe drivable condition, I'd say fairly cheaply. To repair so there are no scratches, small dents and everything works (ac etc), then it could cost.
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 13:13   #15
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The problem with whiplash is it is a rotten culture in the industry. It's easy money which is why so many people try to scam it. The last time I was rear-ended (3 years ago) my own insurer was effectively incentivising me to claim for whiplash. I refused to go the doctor and physio appointments that they had arranged for me (presumably at the t.p. expense) because apart from a few days of being stiff - there was nothing wrong with me. They then offered £1,000 saying that was the maximum as I'd declined the medical appointments - I never asked for anything.

I don't disagree that severe whiplash can be debilitating and long lasting but the majority of cases aren't in this league. The sooner this activity is properly regulated - the better.
Your insurers were pressing you as they would then sell your case on to a firm of solicitors. Insurers win every which way. But it wouldn't have been them who would pay you the £1000, as they don't compensate their own insured for injury.
They would have had their tame solicitors negotiating with the other side, without your knowledge, itself a definite breach of professional conduct.
But it follows decades of insurers putting blocks in the way of genuine claims or making silly offers. They've only got themselves to blame for what started happening in the mid 90s when Claims Direct and such companies appeared.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 13:16   #16
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
Don't underestimate your injury.

I had a slow speed rear ended. No injury so I thought but ever since then I have what can be described as frozen shoulder ever couple days. I didn't claim as I didn't suffer at the time. But now I wish I had.
Not uncommon. Your vertebrae can be knocked very slightly askew. The problem doesn't manifest itself for some time, till you move a heavy plant pot.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 20:37   #17
emlyno

18 months ago my C30 was rearended, the Fiesta was written off and £1000 damage to mine. Since then I have been continually harassed to make a personal injury claim by numerous companies. I can see why some people weaken and make a claim.
emlyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 00:40   #18
Bungo
Premier Member

You better get your whiplash claim in quickly, Govt are planning on bringing in new legislation
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 06:53   #19
padder1956

i have most of the bits mate
cheers paul
padder1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 13:08   #20
Lel

My neck was awful on Saturday but is much better now. Insurance company have been a nightmare. 2 1/2 hours on hold just to make the claim. Im fairly confident that it will be a write off, but my mechanic is coming over tomorrow to see if he can fix it. Unbeknownst to me, he buys cat d cars, does them up and sells them, so if it is easily fixed he can do it. So, if the insurance company will let me, I will buy it off them and mechanic can fix.

However, I'm looking around for some other volvos and have spotted a 2009 1.6 drive v70 with 200000 miles on the clock. It's got full dealership history and appears to have been well looked after. Does anyone have any knowledge of this model and engine and things that I should be wary of?im slightly concerned about the power, it seems to be a small Diesel engine for a big car, and a bit worried re mileage, but it's reassuring hat it's been serviced by Volvo.
Lel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front bumper, front impact, offside, repair, write off