Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on suspension mounts/tops

Views : 3453

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 02:54   #11
kevvydude
Premier Member

your drop links will donk on small bumps, they would be worth changing for heavy duty ones, as if your lowering and up rating then standard drop link wont last, and the price diff wont be a lot, any rubber bushes that have had it will make whatever they are attached to will be shiny, where there is movement,my v70 ph1 has done 153,000 and the front anti-roll bar bushes are like new,and they are from the factory, so the bushes are made well, if theres any movement in any rubber bush i would change them, but that just me,i,ve nearly rebuilt all my car,

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevvydude For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 09:20   #12
CasualAlien

I have just replaced the seat and bearings on the front as the seat's center bush was completely gone, I replaced the bearings too because I felt it was the right thing to do at the time, but when I got the bearings off they seemed OK but not great, with a small grinding half way round. Whilst the shocks were off I checked the drop links, and they were knackered too.

Had a bit of a struggle getting the top nut off as the hex key in the top of the strut bolt rounded off, I had to make a visit to a local garage to have them spun off with an impact gun, which he done for nothing, nice bloke.
A little advice" when you take the bottom strut bolts out get some strong cable ties or a bit of rope to hold your hub assembly up and into the car to stop the driveshaft dropping out. All in all including the trip to the garage I done the job in 2 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to CasualAlien For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 09:47   #13
cyclogenesis

I replaced my spring mounts, struts and bearings last tear. Relatively easy to do if you have spring compressors. Caution if buying aftermarket spring tops though. I bought scantech ones and after only a year they have failed. I will need to replace again but this time I will be getting genuine Volvo items
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyclogenesis For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 11:25   #14
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevvydude View Post
your drop links will donk on small bumps, they would be worth changing for heavy duty ones, as if your lowering and up rating then standard drop link wont last, and the price diff wont be a lot, any rubber bushes that have had it will make whatever they are attached to will be shiny, where there is movement,my v70 ph1 has done 153,000 and the front anti-roll bar bushes are like new,and they are from the factory, so the bushes are made well, if theres any movement in any rubber bush i would change them, but that just me,i,ve nearly rebuilt all my car,
Hi Kevvydude can you recommend some heavy duty drop bar links and where to buy them from?

I too seem to be on a quest to rebuild my car bit by bit! You have already done it by the sounds of it and have some sound advice.

I like jobs to be done right which is why I take on the work myself and rely on sound advice and lots of data off Volvo to get me through.

I say do your homework first before and you get a lot less headaches. A bit like oh dear I need a special tool for that job after you have dismantled half the car lol.

If there are any parts like drop links that are a good idea to do then please let me know. I've got to get a loan to pay for most of the mods anyway so id rather get the spend right before I take the loan than after.

JP
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 11:40   #15
Jp003
JP

Thanks Guys the posts are really helping me.

I think this is my plan on what to order so far

New springs all round (Volvo lowering spring)

New shockers all round (Volvo Sports)

New rear mounts for shockers and new nuts and bolts

New front rubber mounts and metal bearing complete

New heavy duty drop links, is that just front or back as well?

Is there anything else anyone thinks is a good idea at the same time?

I have already replaced all the engine mounts last year so that's done.

Many thanks

JP
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 13:21   #16
kevvydude
Premier Member

hi jp, right putting a link on for you ,ave a look ,its all volvo stuff, a bit cheaper than most volvo dealers, http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...17ca44045b3be6

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 13:30   #17
kevvydude
Premier Member

just a thought ,have you replaced the engine mount under the front pulley end ??

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 16:50   #18
Jp003
JP

Hi

Thanks for the link. I've been on that site before but it's generally more expensive than FRF Volvo!

What about the IPD site in USA. They look pretty good prices and even with shipping they are cheaper than parts for Volvo!

Is all of their stuff not road legal (track only) or is that just the TCV

Do you still have your old TCV off them or did you sell it? Might be interested in buying it if you have still got it.

Would you gamble on a Volvo sports suspension kit with lowering springs or would you go for the Bilstein B6 shockers and eibac springs?!?

If I'm being honest I want adjustable damping but I can't afford that this time round. Need to get my long term fuel trim sorted out before I go crazy on the beast.

Kind regards

JP
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 16:51   #19
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevvydude View Post
just a thought ,have you replaced the engine mount under the front pulley end ??
Yes buddy I replaced every mount on the car apart from the one on the bulkhead.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 17:15   #20
John97Tdi
Master Member

Hi

Try allgermanparts.co.uk for drop links. They do the meyle HD version ( as sold by partsforvolvos ) but a good bit cheaper.

Cheers

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John97Tdi For This Useful Post: