Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heat Management

Views : 2656

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 21:02   #11
Ren
performancevolvoworld.com

The US really do believe in these DIY CAI (ram effect) kits. Lots of threads on this!

I can't say I've heard them put in intakes on the bonnet though as they have either not find the right combo to make it worth while or just can't see any benefit as the turbo can run to extreme temps and has little impact. Not only that, the weather goes from one extreme to the other resulting in mass amounts of rain and/or snow which gets interesting! LOL

I'll let you know if anything seems reasonable, unless you have any ideas to burn and no time to play.

Dave
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 00:26   #12
DougT5R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren
The US really do believe in these DIY CAI (ram effect) kits. Lots of threads on this!

I can't say I've heard them put in intakes on the bonnet though as they have either not find the right combo to make it worth while or just can't see any benefit as the turbo can run to extreme temps and has little impact. Not only that, the weather goes from one extreme to the other resulting in mass amounts of rain and/or snow which gets interesting! LOL

I'll let you know if anything seems reasonable, unless you have any ideas to burn and no time to play.

Dave
This unforently shows how wrong most american's are when it comes to modding cars.

First, your never going to ram air in faster than the turbo is going to pull it.

Ok that tangent over, a couple posts back recommended one of the easiest cheapest ideas about the cowling. I just removed the weather strip, doesn't allow quite as much air to exit but still helps none the less. Nice thing is its completely reversible.

I completly agree. The 2 best area's would be to allow for air to be pulled out from above the turbo and just behind the radiator. Running the OEM heat shields over the exhaust housing/dp does make a large difference in under hood temps.

Something like florians 855 works well.

though if you look (atleast the US spec ones) EVO's, they have something similar with a baffled tray underneath to keep rain water from draining directly to on top of the motor.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 13:30   #13
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougT5R
Running the OEM heat shields over the exhaust housing/dp does make a large difference in under hood temps.
Hi, just checking . . .

Using the heat sheild makes temps cooler right ?

hehe

Chris
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
SaffronC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 13:58   #14
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Another question

The purpose of the underbonnet insulation . . .

Is this to reduce engine noise and/or protect the bonnet paint from heat ?

Can I remove it ? Or is are the risks (if any) not worth it ?

Thanks

Chris
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 14:22   #15
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

i took mine out about a year ago & theres no sign of it affecting the paint

i've also heard it could be a fire blanket to extinguish the flames
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 14:38   #16
timway
Snail Wars: A new shell

I've noticed on mine that ambient temperature seems to affect performance quite a lot actually. Quite noticeable at the moment when its coldish in the morning driving to work (15 degrees at 7am) and hot driving back (25 degrees at 5pm)
I've tried to quantify it by timing acceleration and the increase in time to cover a given increment in speed (eg 60-80 in 3rd) can be up to 10% (so approximately a 10% reduction in power)

Maybe I need a bigger intercooler
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 14:42   #17
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougT5R
a couple posts back recommended one of the easiest cheapest ideas about the cowling. I just removed the weather strip, doesn't allow quite as much air to exit but still helps none the less. Nice thing is its completely reversible.
i cut the mounting flange for the seal off as well to give a bit more of a gap, its not reversible now tho lol
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 15:13   #18
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango
i cut the mounting flange for the seal off as well to give a bit more of a gap, its not reversible now tho lol
hehe, as tempting as it is in this heat, might give that a miss !

Will consider taking out the heat/noise/flame insulation in the mean time.

Chris

that reminds me, I've got a fire extinguisher to mount somewhere accessable, rather than getting out the car, going to the boot, rummaging around etc lol
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 17:08   #19
Ren
performancevolvoworld.com

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I've been monitoring temperature levels on the induction side of things (nothing scientific - just the hand!) after journeys. I am still amazed how the heat soak/transfer along the entire intake system i.e. from the scoop behind the grill down the sock (american terminology) to the box. Even the plastic on my pipercross element filter is hot!

I've pulled the weather seal off for now and put it to one side so that I can put it back on when it starts to get colder in the autumn.

I am also investing in some 3" black ducting to divert all the available air from the bumper vents into the engine bay. I am also attaching the same ducting to the stock air box and loosing the original sock, although I am not expenting any difference, just thought I'd give it a go, no harm.

I've been photoshopping bonnet vents onto pictures of my car (as this saves the bonnet and cash) to get an idea of how good/bad they look. No decision yet.

Dave
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 17:58   #20
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Ren, I totally agree

The heat soak of the OEM airbox system is quite high.

But there has always been an argument that OEM is best - I believe this is true in terms of flow, but not heat soak.

Have you seen my crazy induction kit I made up ?

Chris