Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil change?

Views : 2373

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 12:19   #11
xc60sun

yes. yes.
xc60sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 17:08   #12
cbarrow

Does anyone know the oil qty needed for the D3 (2012) engine please.

Also, is there a guide somewhere on how to reprogramme the electronic dipstick? Or can I get away with putting in exactly what I took out to avoid this?

I'd like to change the oil more regularly than the service interval stated, but not sure about this electronic dipstick stuff!

Many thanks
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 17:13   #13
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrow View Post

Also, is there a guide somewhere on how to reprogramme the electronic dipstick? Or can I get away with putting in exactly what I took out to avoid this?

I'd like to change the oil more regularly than the service interval stated, but not sure about this electronic dipstick stuff!

Many thanks
6 litres should get you close - but taking out what you put in should be a good starting point. After a few drives check the electronic dipstick.
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 21:46   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

Many thanks
See my post #8 above . yours is the 5 cylinder Diesel I assume...

D3 D5 etc has not been an engine type or designation since 2010 It is just a power range and could be any diesel in this power range , in your case D3 is a volvo diesel engine with a power in the range 125 - 160 bhp approx .

The oil should be changed every 18000 miles or every year which ever comes first. There is no advantage whatsoever in changing it earlier. It is expensive oil made to do the job what ever the driving circumstances. Volvo worked with Castrol to determine this and it has been fine for the last 16 years over millions and millions of miles using genuine oil filters .
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 00:15   #15
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The oil should be changed every 18000 miles or every year which ever comes first. There is no advantage whatsoever in changing it earlier. It is expensive oil made to do the job what ever the driving circumstances. Volvo worked with Castrol to determine this and it has been fine for the last 16 years over millions and millions of miles using genuine oil filters .
When I worked for a large American oil company we tested all the best synthetic oils on the market then, they were all pretty much done (viscosity wise) by about 5,000 miles - yes they still provided adequate lubrication but they were already on the less slippery slope (sorry couldn't resist!) - oil today contains more additives and detergent packs than they did 20 years ago - those things are there to make the oil stable chemically - not to lubricate. the other thing with modern oil is because of the extended change intervals (to keep lease and hire companies happy) modern filters have become more porous to avoid them blocking, the oil is designed to hold the microparticles in suspension rather than the filter being over worked (and blocked) trying to filter them out. Your oil over time becomes a grinding paste. Yes modern engines are marvels and can last a long time - but changing your oil between services WILL extend engine life - whether the rest of the car will last is another thing.
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 07:47   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvocano View Post
When I worked for a large American oil company we tested all the best synthetic oils on the market then, they were all pretty much done (viscosity wise) by about 5,000 miles - yes they still provided adequate lubrication but they were already on the less slippery slope (sorry couldn't resist!) - oil today contains more additives and detergent packs than they did 20 years ago - those things are there to make the oil stable chemically - not to lubricate. the other thing with modern oil is because of the extended change intervals (to keep lease and hire companies happy) modern filters have become more porous to avoid them blocking, the oil is designed to hold the microparticles in suspension rather than the filter being over worked (and blocked) trying to filter them out. Your oil over time becomes a grinding paste. Yes modern engines are marvels and can last a long time - but changing your oil between services WILL extend engine life - whether the rest of the car will last is another thing.
A hotly debated topic.... I can see the logic on both sides of the argument.... but I would come back to when did we last see someone on here who had to changed their engine because it simply wore out - i.e. pistons slapping or big ends knocking? I can't remember and possibly never. So whilst I too usually drop the oil half way into the service interval (9k), I know that when I sell my car it will likely have 170k-200k on it and the engine will be as good as new almost - whether I did the extra changes or not. In the past I've stripped D5's and 2.0D's with 110k, 140k etc. and seen no signs of wear, honing marks on the bores still visible...

To be frank, I am skeptical of what you say about oil filters, but that's my feeling rather than something I know to be fact, can you point us at some material?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 5th, 2022 at 07:52.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 11:16   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvocano View Post
I have been working on volvos on a professional basic for 47 years going right back to the 140 series and seen it all in the 100's of thousands of volvos I have dealt with, whether it was a B18 early 1960's or a new D4204 current engine what ever the engine I never come across one or heard of one through Volvo UK or anywhere else which has failed due to lubrication problems on 18000 mile service schedules or the basic oil used in short service oils , Volvo do extensive testing they don't just leave it to chance for the General public to test. This it typical world wide . I'm sure it must happen though with severely neglected ones. Follow volvo's recommendations on oil type and service intervals and you won't go wrong . The oil will do it's job as intended . When the Castrol long service oil "Long-tec" and "R-tec" was first used on Volvo engines in 2004 it said on the bottle " Long Service oil " and it works. All those thousands of volvos you see out there now on the road use it and are working very well , It is well proved after 18 years of being in use .
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 19:38   #18
cbarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
See my post #8 above . yours is the 5 cylinder Diesel I assume...

D3 D5 etc has not been an engine type or designation since 2010 It is just a power range and could be any diesel in this power range , in your case D3 is a volvo diesel engine with a power in the range 125 - 160 bhp approx .

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. So I guess the D3 and D5 are identical (in terms of oil capacity) just the power output (and ancillaries to achieve this) that is different? Mine is a 5-cyl diesel. I can't remember the type designator exactly.

How do I reset (using a cloned VIDA/DICE) the oil level indicator? I once had an indie garage do a service then got lots of low oil warnings about 300 miles later! Only to find the oil level was fine when I sent it to Volvo to investigate...

Last edited by cbarrow; Dec 5th, 2022 at 19:41.
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 22:48   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
You'll have to excuse my ignorance. So I guess the D3 and D5 are identical (in terms of oil capacity) just the power output (and ancillaries to achieve this) that is different? Mine is a 5-cyl diesel. I can't remember the type designator exactly.

How do I reset (using a cloned VIDA/DICE) the oil level indicator? I once had an indie garage do a service then got lots of low oil warnings about 300 miles later! Only to find the oil level was fine when I sent it to Volvo to investigate...
Yes the 5 cylinder Diesels are mostly similar what ever the power, they had improvements for emissions as the years went by.

They must have put in the wrong quantity of oil in before , luckily the gauge warned you about it . It takes about 20 miles to read the true level again after an oil change. I'm not sure which diagnostic tool will reset the oil level gauge, Possibly iCarsoft for volvo . worth enquiring.

If you have the VIDA its in there . It must be done after each oil change
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 18:02   #20
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
A hotly debated topic.... I can see the logic on both sides of the argument.... but I would come back to when did we last see someone on here who had to changed their engine because it simply wore out - i.e. pistons slapping or big ends knocking? I can't remember and possibly never. So whilst I too usually drop the oil half way into the service interval (9k), I know that when I sell my car it will likely have 170k-200k on it and the engine will be as good as new almost - whether I did the extra changes or not. In the past I've stripped D5's and 2.0D's with 110k, 140k etc. and seen no signs of wear, honing marks on the bores still visible...

To be frank, I am skeptical of what you say about oil filters, but that's my feeling rather than something I know to be fact, can you point us at some material?

There are plenty of SPA Volvos with gummed up oil control rings leading to engine failure - sure there was poor design involved - but I bet if the oil was changed between services on these engines the instance of failure would be lower.