Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

hesitation issue not fixed!

Views : 6290

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 23:22   #11
Lmason
L Mason

Default ovlov

have you considered the air barmoter sensor ? located behind offside headlight
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 00:48   #12
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
have you considered the air barmoter sensor ? located behind offside headlight
The what lol?

No never heard of it sorry. What does it do?

Regards JP
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 06:17   #13
B00TS

I think he meant barometric.

Presumably there may be a sensor to compensate the air/fuel mixture for altitude?

Even so, I doubt this is the cause of the problem - the ecu should have a dedicated code for failure of that input...

EDIT: Looking elsewhere on the forum the code for that is P0107.

1997 V70 2.5TDI 290k - Sent on to pastures new!

Last edited by B00TS; Jun 4th, 2014 at 06:19.
B00TS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B00TS For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 08:05   #14
fulham75

Default volvo v70

thanks for all your replies ,well its back from the auto electric guy ,its not throwing any codes ,but still hesitating,,he has no idea what it is!the o2 sensor was an after market one ,I got it from a motor factor I use that supplies to the trade ,so im hoping its not that,wondering if I should change no 1 o2 sensor as well.im going to change the fuel filter today ,just for peace of mind ,then I will check all hoses again.it pulls like a train,its just when you back off and try to hold a steady speed,it feels like fuel starvation ,because it clears then hesitates ,like its not fueling properly thanks again for your replies ,
fulham75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 09:02   #15
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I'd suggest you do a search on this forum for the original fault codes you had P1171 & P1174.

Both these codes relate to long term fuel trim.

Check there is no induction air leak, carefully check the length of pipe between the MAF sensor turbo, the rubber hoses to the intercooler & the small one that runs from the connection on the inlet manifold above the alternator to the turbo.

Once you have eliminated an air leak, the most probable cause of the problem is a failing MAF sensor, replace with a genuine Bosch unit, use the 10 digit Bosch part No. to source a replacement.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 12:00   #16
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham75 View Post
thanks for all your replies ,well its back from the auto electric guy ,its not throwing any codes ,but still hesitating,,he has no idea what it is!the o2 sensor was an after market one ,I got it from a motor factor I use that supplies to the trade ,so im hoping its not that,wondering if I should change no 1 o2 sensor as well.im going to change the fuel filter today ,just for peace of mind ,then I will check all hoses again.it pulls like a train,its just when you back off and try to hold a steady speed,it feels like fuel starvation ,because it clears then hesitates ,like its not fueling properly thanks again for your replies ,
Check your accelerator pedal sounds like your problem

Also you must use Bosch sensors or you will get problems.

Use the Bosch website to correctly identify the sensors on your car using this link http://www.bosch-lambdasonde.de/en/d..._catalogue.pdf

Do you know how to check your pedal?

Regards JP
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 13:17   #17
Jp003
JP

My new pedal came just and i'm going to fit it now and then take the car out and see if the problem is fixed.

Ill post my verdict after

Regards JP
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 15:46   #18
Jp003
JP

Okay pedal fitted and tested on 25 mile run.

Power restored to car

Throttle position appears to be steady and working correctly

A lot smoother on first start and settles down to 850 RPM nicely

Hold at 1000RPM and 1500 RPM perfect no jumping.

However,,,,,,,,

Hesitation hasn't gone 100% and i'm still getting no power for a second or two after changing gear but then throws the car back into life.

One thing i have noticed which is very similar to coil pack failures which is engine missfire when i'm in a higher gear and i let the car fall from say 4000 RPM down to 2000 RPM then gentle accelerate and the engine missfires all over the place!

No codes as yet and i made the car missfire as much as i could once i knew how to get it to play up!

So its good and bad news to report. Car has improved dramatically but now wants to be driven like a race car all the time or she splutters all over the place after backing down the RPM!!!!

I guess my next point of call is the ETM

Regards JP
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 12:57   #19
fulham75

Default v70

hi thanks for your replies ,sorry for the delay in responding,,right its back from the auto electrics ,,now no fault codes showing and they have no idea of the problem!i changed the fuel filter no joy,tried another working maf,no joy.the only thing that was a temporary fix was when I put a couple of cans of intake cleaner in the intake pipe ,car was good for about 25 minutes then started hesitating again ,I don't think its the etm,as my idle is steady ,and no loss of power at all,if it was an air leak ,wouldn't this show at idle?the hestitation normally starts at running tempreture,as I said before when you try to back the gas to cruise at about 55 to 60,on occasions it has hestitated from start up pulling away ,but very rarely,its always when backing off the pedal the the problem starts ,hit the gas again and all is fine ,,,yesterday it seemed to clear itself for about 10 minutes ,then a very slight hesitation then the management light came on?so the problem is not under load so I think that rules out the plugs ,[which are only a few months old],and the coil packs.im really at a complete loss here .a friend of mine who is a diesel fitter suggested it might be a blocked fuel return filter,not allowing the fuel to return correctly,but it was just a theory.any more help would be greatly appreciated,going nuts here cheers steve
fulham75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 16:49   #20
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

"very slight hesitation then the management light came on"

What code is logged?

How confident are you about the MAF sensor you tried?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote