Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First breakdown

Views : 3545

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2021, 14:32   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzemien View Post
Uhm...

Let's just say that I do service my car yearly at VOLVO dealer's for a reason - and always top up with quality fuel (Shell, Total, Aral etc.) either.

And no: have not checked dates marks etc. on various consumable items that are supposedly being changed with each service, at least I did not have to yet...
It doesn’t matter where the car is serviced (particularly on an older car that isn’t under warranty). There’s plenty of “normal” garages or independents that service cars & do the work fine for a fraction of the price.

If Joe Bloggs down the road carried out the service, it makes no difference so long as he knows what he’s doing. Changing a fuel filter is an easy thing to do & a car doesn’t necessarily be brought to a dealer to do it.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 8th, 2021 at 14:34.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 16:35   #12
MCFastybloke

Happy to report 190 miles today and all is well, another unexpected 95 or so with a run down to Blythe in an hours or so.
Fuel filter is an easy swap on your driveway 18mm and a 32 short 6 point socket and a bit of brake clean,often overlooked even at the dealers

What is puzzling me a bit is after i chugged him into the filling station showing 3/8 of a tank and put 15 liters in the problem disappeared, is there an in tank pump? could it be getting a bit weak?
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 22:41   #13
krzemien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
It doesn’t matter where the car is serviced (particularly on an older car that isn’t under warranty).
It actually does matter as in case as described above it's quite easy to identify the rotten party with clear evidence and make relevant noises in the right places involving VOLVO HQ - dealers rather do not like it and rarely can ignore.

And I have used such leverage twice in the last 10 years - to help me with some trifling nuisances (not the same calibre as in this thread nonetheless) which otherwise I would need to pick up the cost for - and VOLVO listened to me and helped to resolve to my satisfaction.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 23:24   #14
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
What is puzzling me a bit is after i chugged him into the filling station showing 3/8 of a tank and put 15 liters in the problem disappeared, is there an in tank pump? could it be getting a bit weak?
Had you screwed the fuel cap in until it clicked on your previous fill-up? Otherwise I believe it causes a vacuum in the tank, resulting in the symptoms you're describing. I don't think your filter would have been blocked looking at the pics.

Last edited by ferg55; Aug 8th, 2021 at 23:27.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ferg55 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 10:07   #15
grubby mits

Quote:
It actually does matter as in case as described above it's quite easy to identify the rotten party with clear evidence and make relevant noises in the right places involving VOLVO HQ - dealers rather do not like it and rarely can ignore.

And I have used such leverage twice in the last 10 years - to help me with some trifling nuisances (not the same calibre as in this thread nonetheless) which otherwise I would need to pick up the cost for - and VOLVO listened to me and helped to resolve to my satisfaction.
With respect, you miss the point. The customer pays a hefty premium for main dealer work and that work should therefore be exemplary. If the customer has to complain to HO the argument for high charging rates falls flat on its face - you might as well use an indie. Volvo should monitor their franchises for quality on a regular basis and kick xxxxx before customers get to the complaints stage. Because they don't do this the result is a feeling that they don't really care about service/repair work - only about selling new vehicles.

GM
grubby mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 10:36   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

If they were so good, then there wouldn't be any "nuisances". For the price that dealers charge, the work should be top notch... this often isn't the case. You shouldn't have to be involving Volvo HQ.

If I brought my car to a main dealer, I wouldn't be impressed if I had to involve Volvo HQ. I'd be hoping that they sorted the problem with no charge to me, but I wouldn't be using them again after that.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 9th, 2021 at 10:45.
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 12:40   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
If they were so good, then there wouldn't be any "nuisances". For the price that dealers charge, the work should be top notch... this often isn't the case. You shouldn't have to be involving Volvo HQ.

If I brought my car to a main dealer, I wouldn't be impressed if I had to involve Volvo HQ. I'd be hoping that they sorted the problem with no charge to me, but I wouldn't be using them again after that.
That.... you pay a premium at a dealer, for that you should rightly expect something extra. Cars are complex and not all repairs and servicing will go as expected, but it is how the dealer responds to those issues which should define that "premium". Some dealers do very well, some do shockingly badly.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 13:39   #18
yostumpy

This, from What car used review........................................

Fuel gauge
A software update is currently being sought to correct an issue with the fuel gauge showing the wrong level on XC70s constructed between 24 April 2014 and 11 December 2015. The current advice if your car is affected is to keep the level above one-third to ensure you don't run out of fuel until a fix can be implemented.
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 14:03   #19
krzemien

To my adversaries: I'm sure you spotted life's not perfect and unexpected things do happen.

All I can say is this:

1. Dealers that disappoint had not seen me since - which is tad inconvenient as I'm forced to drive out of London to get my annual service done,
2. It's good to know there IS a higher instance you can involve to help resolving IF needed - good luck with random indy or garage down the road.

My issues were miniscule and nothing of the calibre as described by OP. Also, I've not reached that point (yet?) that I have to double-check if filters were swapped and genuine parts used. I hope I won't have to although have my doubts...

Also, so conclude: VOLVO should do a lot of things - and perhaps they did, but they don't (anymore?).
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 16:16   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
To my adversaries: I'm sure you spotted life's not perfect and unexpected things do happen.

All I can say is this:

1. Dealers that disappoint had not seen me since - which is tad inconvenient as I'm forced to drive out of London to get my annual service done,
2. It's good to know there IS a higher instance you can involve to help resolving IF needed - good luck with random indy or garage down the road.

My issues were miniscule and nothing of the calibre as described by OP. Also, I've not reached that point (yet?) that I have to double-check if filters were swapped and genuine parts used. I hope I won't have to although have my doubts...

Also, so conclude: VOLVO should do a lot of things - and perhaps they did, but they don't (anymore?).
I bet you've paid double the price for your servicing by going to the dealer. Volvo wanted nearly £600 to service my car... for what? My indi can do the same service for £300 using genuine Volvo parts & has VIDA & other equipment required. What's so good about the dealer to warrant them charging double for a service? I know they have big operating costs & fancy showrooms, but lets be realistic.

I don't use random garages down the road or random indies... I use ones that are known & provide a good service. If you have any doubts about the parts used by the dealership you're going to, then I suggest you start questioning those doubts & checking the parts... you might be in for a surprise (possibly). Then you can bring it to another dealer who probably will do the same thing. Although, in the instance of this thread, the person changing the fuel filter doesn't need to be a brain surgeon... its a simple task that literally any garage that had a clue what they were doing would be able to perform.

Dealerships are nicknamed as "stealerships" for a reason. Not all are bad, but the good ones are few & far between. Oh... your dealership service history means diddly squat come resale time. It looks good on paper, but don't be thinking you'll be cashing in either. You might get a bit extra from a genuine buyer, but nothing near what its costs you to keep up with the dealership pricing for their work. I'm sure you're aware of that, but its your car & your choice as to what you do with it.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 9th, 2021 at 16:27.