Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Horses have fled, turtle is back...

Views : 18270

Replies : 134

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 18:28   #11
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I feel for you Arianne, I would be seething and the dealer would know exactly how I felt.
Ian, I am very unhappy (seething is a bit too extreme as I am aware that, at the end of the day, it is just a car we're talking about here after all). But I genuinely believe that my local dealership, Clelands, have done their reasonable best. I am unhappy with Volvo Sweden and Volvo UK - they have put a new product out there which, at £38.5k list, doesn't work as it should. That's simply not good enough for this brand. But thanks for your empathy....which has made me feel a bit better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
That is where VAG win having Audi TT as an example to launch new tech, those owners love to get under the bonnet and talk to the techs.

Where is Volvo's petrol head car ?

If Volvo do not nip this in the bud then it will do them a lot of damage. There are a lot of people watching this major down scaling from 6 and 5 cylinders with interest. Get it wrong and it could be an expensive mistake.

I really do hope Volvo get this right and quickly....
I have got to tell you that it is a minor miracle that the mainstream motoring press haven't discovered and reported on this fragility with Volvo's VEA 4cyl engine yet. But if Volvo don't resolve this particular issue with me soon.......there's a lot more people who will understand what a turtle means when they think about the Volvo brand.

Arianne
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 18:36   #12
xsaab
Master Member

If Volvo have a Facebook page enter details of your woes there.

A detrimental review on FB has achieved results with other companies and does help to create a few waves.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 19:04   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

I keep documents with copy/paste info about various things I come across, and this is what I have saved in the past under 'limp mode problems'

''Just to let you know, the problem is now fixed. Turns out the turbo vacuum pipe was trapped under a filter, blocking the pipe almost closed. This caused an over boost problem and threw the car into limp mode. The pipe was released, and renewed, now the car is 100% fit''

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 19:07   #14
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post

A detrimental review on FB has achieved results with other companies and does help to create a few waves.
^^^What xsaab say, companies seem to respond to Twitter and Facebook more so than traditional methods. Get a few unhappy VEA D4 owners to support your message and you will quickly get resolution.

Just don't forget to positively acknowledge resolution then the manufacturer, whoever they are, will be on your side.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 19:30   #15
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I keep documents with copy/paste info about various things I come across, and this is what I have saved in the past under 'limp mode problems'

''Just to let you know, the problem is now fixed. Turns out the turbo vacuum pipe was trapped under a filter, blocking the pipe almost closed. This caused an over boost problem and threw the car into limp mode. The pipe was released, and renewed, now the car is 100% fit''

Regards
Thanks Volvorocks. I will mention this to the dealer when they contact me - they usually do so by phone these days and we're on quite familiar terms!

BTW, we are also Audi TT owners (earlier post refers). It seems that all of the previous Audi TT 'petrolheads' have done our work for us - the TT has been in our family from new in May 2014 and it hasn't missed a beat. I drove it earlier today (with permission from the lad) and it was great. The only issue we had was with a loose plastic blanking plate which was meant to cover the tailgate hinge area when the tailgate was raised - Edinburgh Audi sent one of their technicians out and repaired it on our drive - that's a 70 mile round trip - and that's what I call service!

To be fair, Edinburgh Audi aren't the most personable bunch (must be the Germanic streak in them) but they are extremely efficient. My local Volvo dealer provides a personal, tailored service - as I am finding out from experience!

Arianne

PS. Just out of interest, when you guys have warranty work undertaken at nil cost.....do you get given the paperwork in the same way you would when you pay for it? I have nothing.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 19:36   #16
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post

PS. Just out of interest, when you guys have warranty work undertaken at nil cost.....do you get given the paperwork in the same way you would when you pay for it? I have nothing.
I never got anything regards warranty work - and a hek of a lot of it was undertaken in the first 6 months with one Volvo I owned..!!

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 19:44   #17
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Nope nothing. I've had a fuel flap locking mechanism replaced and a Sensus software upgrade both covered under warranty and never received a scrap of evidence.

Similarly, my motorbike has had recall work done on the master brake cylinder and the rear chain adjuster and I have been asked to sign for the work having been completed (if I had not stood over them while the work was being done I'm not sure what evidence would have been presented). Recall/remedial work is a bit of a black art.

You buy outside the network you have no idea what has been done, you can of course go back to the dealer network when they will plug you in and offer open wallet surgery.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 20:37   #18
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:

It's an option........in the same way as a pre-emptive launch of ICBMs are an option. The trouble is that it's the option of absolute last resort and has all the risk of 'mutually assured destruction'. Potent but risky.

I think I would rather explore all of the other alternatives first. But thanks for taking the time to post and read about our XC60 with the Nissan Micra performance!

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Mar 22nd, 2015 at 20:44.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 20:49   #19
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
read about our XC60 with the Nissan Micra performance!

Arianne
Is the performance downgrade due to this issue that bad or is it because you have experienced the car when it has been running properly, and therefore so much better? If you hadn't got the warning light on, do you think the average driver would notice, or just put it down to one of those 'gradual things'?

Cheers
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 20:55   #20
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:

Totally agree. My wife has achieved near-instant results for 'non-motoring' consumer complaints by posting to Twitter. It helps that she has, herself, a big following - and of course the recipients quickly realise this. Posting on Twitter, FB and informing Autocar, AutoExpress and What Car will, I am sure, start to get Volvo addressing the issue. If your dealer has done his best then be kind to him. He can, ultimately, only do what Volvo advise. The VEA engine is central to their future powerplants, so it is an issue they cannot avoid.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:

Tags
reduced performance, turtle, vea