Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery leakage (VIDA)

Views : 958

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2021, 16:46   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
The ball seems ok, it's the little 'teeth' on the plastic arm that seem to wear down. I can easily put on a new arm and calibrate however the oil leak is a bigger job. This is an 06 V70 D5 which is otherwise mint with NO Vida fault codes (until now) - one local garage has just said scrap it as not worth taking the head off to fix. Yes I'll try and find another garage but I worry how long I can drive it like this before something worse happens.
The ball will be ground smaller if you compare it to a new swirl flap assembly .

They are misleading you, dont take it there , the head doesn't have to come of at all, just the injectors and cam cover... the timing is not disturbed , The high cost of around £700 at the dealer is due mainly to the use of new injector pipes and fitting kits . The actual swirl parts are around £100.
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 20:22   #12
vickyg

I want to get the parts from Scandix or similar, the stealerships want near 500 quid just for the swirl rail and gaskets. I'm told no need to renew pipes (even a dealer agrees)

I need to use the car tho and regularly, so I am hoping with a new arm for now the oil leak will behave in the meantime while I get another mechanic on the case. Trouble is all the local garage that I trust will want to get main dealer parts and refuse to fit if you purchase own. They won't take "the risk" as they see it.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 22:36   #13
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

"the risk" as in "the loss of profit"

it is just business I suppose, you can't really blame them, we whack on minimum 20% on all parts we use at work

there's one near me I've managed to persuade them to write on the receipt "no guarantee on parts fitted" in the past

part of the reason I found it better just to spend the labour cost buying tools instead

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 22:40   #14
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

if the swirl arm is anything like that naff piston thing that dampens the glove box, I think I know what you mean about plastic 'jaws' failing

that one I 'repaired' with some simple garden wire around the thin bit under the ball, and twizzled around the shaft (as it were). a new one wasnt worth the cost in that case to be fair

though whether or not that will give you the full range of movement you need will need to be tested

sometimes a simple fix is all it needs, like the proverbial gaffa tape on the mondeo bumper, a temporary fix can last the life of the car

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jul 12th, 2021 at 22:45.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 11:16   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
I want to get the parts from Scandix or similar, the stealerships want near 500 quid just for the swirl rail and gaskets. I'm told no need to renew pipes (even a dealer agrees)

I need to use the car tho and regularly, so I am hoping with a new arm for now the oil leak will behave in the meantime while I get another mechanic on the case. Trouble is all the local garage that I trust will want to get main dealer parts and refuse to fit if you purchase own. They won't take "the risk" as they see it.
that £500 is not just for the swirl rod and link ( thats about £100 ) ,its also for all the injector pipes and injector clamp kits too ...
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 14:34   #16
vickyg

My preferred garage are very decent on parts and don't mark up however they have no time for shopping around so use one or two factors who go to the main dealer as soon as you say Volvo. It's only a very recent thing where they won't fit customer supplied parts which is frustrating when they are genuine Volvo, Scandix or similar and not Chinese rubbish.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 17:48   #17
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

havent checked recently but last time I looked, the delivery charge from scandix wasnt worth it

I get most things off ebay now (try to find genuine where possible)

mini project - link
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 09:32   #18
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
havent checked recently but last time I looked, the delivery charge from scandix wasnt worth it

I get most things off ebay now (try to find genuine where possible)
36 euros for delivery, steep yes but versus being robbed by a main dealer it doesn't feel so bad. If I can get other parts at the same time it might be worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 09:47   #19
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

yeah if you need other parts you can make it worth your while.. £30 on a £100 of parts though is a bit much

I dont know what your exact part numbers are but for example:

ebay - £129.17 + £4 shipping

Scandix about £130 + £30 shipping

it's not a lot in that instance but if you get to the point where you've done like 2 or 3 grands worth of work on your car it all adds up

I shudder to think what it would have cost me doing it all from the stealers lol

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jul 14th, 2021 at 10:22. Reason: found a cheaper one
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 15:24   #20
vickyg

Actually that first link is a main dealer, Caffyns. Have used them before. As I understand I need to get inside before deciding, it may be the link rod is fine and I just need the gasket seals. Buying both bumps the price. Plus injector washers etc.