Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wishbone/Control Arm Replacement Video

Views : 4871

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2014, 18:52   #11
owyn
Premier Member

I like that impact driver a lot!
I managed to wiggle the bolts out on both sides when I did mine without moving the engine, pretty tight but juuuuust about doable.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 19:38   #12
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

Exactly what we need more of on the forum good videos on how to repair our cars on your drive at home. Thanks for a great video will save many people who just weren't sure taking there's to a garage I'm sure. I do like to watch a video of someone doing the job before I do if it is something I have not done before.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 22:29   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owyn View Post
I like that impact driver a lot!
I managed to wiggle the bolts out on both sides when I did mine without moving the engine, pretty tight but juuuuust about doable.
It really is a beast of a driver, 450Nm but its size means its uses are a bit limited on a car.
Great work btw on squeezing out those bolts! I might have to look again and suss it out as I would've liked to use new bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
Exactly what we need more of on the forum good videos on how to repair our cars on your drive at home. Thanks for a great video will save many people who just weren't sure taking there's to a garage I'm sure. I do like to watch a video of someone doing the job before I do if it is something I have not done before.
Thanks Graham.
The two highest viewed alternatives on YouTube weren't really that helpful.
One of them on a V70 had the driveshaft out, which I wanted to avoid and the other on a S80 had half his front end in bits yet still had 70000 views!
Yes, I hope it'll give others confidence to try themselves as renewing your wishbones with genuine for £225 is a massive saving.
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 21:24   #14
jnmonaghan

Default I have wathehed excellent Video

HI, cheshired5 -- OR any other expert! --

I have watched your excellent video on replacing the control arms on V70 etc.
You refer to the use of a 17mm offset spanner to release one of the driver side bolts on the front bush.I would like to know your thoughts on ,instead of using the offset spanner, using instead --L-Shaped Socket Wrench set 8mm-19mm-- Google this and you will see what I"m refering to.I have a stand up pit in my garage.How can you check that wishbones need replaced other than looking at the rubber bushing. Before i took the wheels off I did the North/South and the East/west rock--looking for movement. none was there.
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 21:47   #15
do88ins

Cheshire you are turning into my hero on here. After using your video to change my inner tie rods and track rod ends ive decided to upgrade my lower wishbones, and behold you put up another how-to video. I used lemforder inner tie rods but meyle drop links. I'll see how long they last. I'm Refurbing a pair of lower wishbones i bought off fleabay and was looking at using meyle bushes
do88ins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to do88ins For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 22:03   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by do88ins View Post
I'm Refurbing a pair of lower wishbones i bought off fleabay and was looking at using meyle bushes
If you're not keeping the car for long, I'm sure they'll do the job and I quite like some Meyle products.
Personally, I wouldn't trust their bushes long term based on reports I've read about premature failure.
Lemforder or original for me.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 02:01   #17
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If you're not keeping the car for long, I'm sure they'll do the job and I quite like some Meyle products.
Personally, I wouldn't trust their bushes long term based on reports I've read about premature failure.
Lemforder or original for me.
2X for Lemforder. They are just a tad more expensive than Meyle, and never heard (yet) a complaint about them. At least, with Meyle I would go for the HD kind
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 16:25   #18
rob27
2003 S60 D5 128000 Miles

I've seen your video before while browsing YouTube for other repair vids and found it very informative. Could do with changing my control arms as the front end seems a by wayward going over bumps. I'll definitely be using your method as I don't like the look of taking the drive shafts out.

Re the Clarke impact driver, I bought one from machine mart to remove the shock collar nuts from my old avensis and it wouldnt budge them so I took it back. I may have bought a duff one but it seemed to want to use its 450nm to rip my elbow out of the socket rather than remove the nut lol I'm hoping the battery powered ryobi impact driver I've got will be enough (225nm) to get the ball joint nut off the Volvo as the Clarke seemed to do it almost effortlessly in your video.

Going to tackle this in the next few weeks, thanks for the help.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 17:35   #19
do88ins

I can find one of the lemforder bushes on the euro car parts website but not the other, thats the only reason I was looking at the meyle heavy duty ones as can buy them as complete car set for £63. The meyle drop links fitted to the front felt good quality but I'll keep people informed as to how they perform and last over the coming months. If anyone has a link to a site selling the lemforder bushes please share and I'll fit them.
do88ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 18:08   #20
Coventry
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob27 View Post
Re the Clarke impact driver, I bought one from machine mart to remove the shock collar nuts from my old avensis and it wouldnt budge them so I took it back. I may have bought a duff one but it seemed to want to use its 450nm to rip my elbow out of the socket rather than remove the nut lol I'm hoping the battery powered ryobi impact driver I've got will be enough (225nm) to get the ball joint nut off the Volvo as the Clarke seemed to do it almost effortlessly in your video.
I don't know if there's anything to read into this but I bought the Clarke impact driver a few years ago and it has taken off ~200-300Nm hub nuts, crank nuts and various others off with utter ease. Best ~£65 I've ever spent.

I bought another in June 2014 for my dad, for father's day, and although the gun is visually identical, the case is different (better, actually!). The gun doesn't seem anywhere near as powerful. It sometimes struggles to remove wheel bolts at around 120Nm! I wonder if Clarke have cut costs with the gun internals in the intervening time...

Edit: Apologies, it seems the one in the video is a cordless item, the two I was referring to are 240v corded. I've never used the Clarke cordless driver...

Last edited by Coventry; Jan 26th, 2015 at 18:13.
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote