Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Millers Diesel Power

Views : 4818

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 20:52   #11
terrorcrane

With a few of us trying out (new and old) it will be interesting to compare and contrast.

I have to say I've already noticed that the power delivery seems a bit smoother, will know more when I do the next tank load
terrorcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:57   #12
chopper_harris

[QUOTE=60041;703897]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper_harris View Post
I've used Stanadyne Performance Formula for the past 5 years in my 163 D5.
QUOTE]

I have read about Stanadyne before but have not seen it for sale apart from once in a marine shop where they wanted silly money for it!
I did wonder if it is worth buying it direct from The States.

Where do you get yours?
I buy it in 20 litre drums direct from the UK main agent.

Happy to order one for you, or split one if you wish ?
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 08:54   #13
billynomates

[QUOTE=chopper_harris;705644]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post

I buy it in 20 litre drums direct from the UK main agent.

Happy to order one for you, or split one if you wish ?
How much do you use per tank full of fuel? Ive just bought some of the Miller's stuff and it says it will treat 10 tanks and its only a little bottle. 20 Litres must last years?
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 16:25   #14
Peewee

I have a S80 D5, and when I drive it I get max 44 MPG which is lots of motorway driving.
When My other half drives it she regulary gets 56-57. Our driving styles are not noticeably different, but they must be to get that difference!

I tried Millers, but to be honest I didnt really see any difference, But I do do about 55000 miles a year.
Peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 22:33   #15
chris vince

The best (and free) modification to these engines is to blank off the EGR system.
Once done, the engine breathes only fresh air, the soot stays out of the oil so stops scouring out the bearings, the inlet tract stays clean, just look inside the inlet tract of a D5 with an EGR system.
Because only fresh air is going into the engine, it burns the fuel cleaner, hence is more efficient, the throttle does not have to be pressed down so far, so for any given speed, the fuel economy is much better.
The engine will be more livelier, responsive and enjoy a longer life.
I have 'done' ours, we never get less than 52 mpg from our V70, this is mostly mixed town driving with occasional 80 mph motorway useage.
The only reason there is an EGR system is to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions, very briefly, by re-using inert exhaust gas the temperature of combustion is reduced, also the amount of oxygen available for reaction is reduced, it is temperature and oxygen that produce NO2.
EGR systems are a requirement in many countries notably the USA, if they are not fitted then a model cannot be sold there.
There are no MOT failure issues, as NO2 is not tested for in the UK, should this position change in the future a few minutes with a spanner to remove the blanking plate will reverse all to the original standard.
Fuel economy on my Nissan Navara (granted, a completely different animal) improved by 28% after blanking it's EGR.
Chris
chris vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:45   #16
Major Look
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billynomates View Post
FMS thats a lot, mine is the standard auto and I struggle to get 40 MPG
Me too - 42 if I'm careful on Shell V-Power. What's going on here? Daytime running lights affecting fuel consumption that badly?

Mine: V70 D5 Geartronic MY05
Major Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:48   #17
Major Look
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vince View Post
The best (and free) modification to these engines is to blank off the EGR system.
Chris
Hmmm. Is this a simple process easy enough to describe how to do it on this forum?
Major Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:55   #18
terrorcrane

[QUOTE=Major Look;706351]Me too - 42 if I'm careful on Shell V-Power. What's going on here? Daytime running lights affecting fuel consumption that badly?

Mine: V70 D5 Geartronic MY05[/QUOT

My understanding is that the auto/greartronic's have lower fuel economy in general than the manuals. Mines a EuroIII s60 manual and I rarely drop below 42 mpg average about 45 mpg on town and country roads
terrorcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 13:13   #19
Bernard333
Premier Member

Still averaging around 55mpg on long journeys (2003 V70 D5 manual ) without doing anything extreme and 65mpg when driven carefully but the mpg is starting to decline slightly at 144k miles compared to its best period which was from about 40k to 120k miles when it did quite a few 500 mile plus journeys at 85mpg average and that was based on tank to tank fill ups not the trip computer . I have kept a full record of all fuel used and now feel its time to try an additive and maybe even the egr blank as the car is now worth very little so nothing to lose but I am still not 100% convinced its ok to do this or that it will help economy . I have had the mixing plenum off and done two clean ups ( with no noticeable effect on performance ) but I am thinking if you blank off the egr isnt it going cause a build up of gunge behind the plate and maybe it will permanently block up the valve ? I dont want the valve to be permanently damaged or gunged up just in case I find that blanking it off dosnt improve anything or it triggers fault codes , I wonder if the egr could be blanked off from both ends or maybe from the opposite side its normally done from so that there no gas trying to get in , that would keep it in good condition so it could be put back in use ? Also on an average journey or say steady cruising on the motorway at 50 mph how often does the egr valve actually open , if its only occassionally opening for brief periods then blanking it wont help economy much ? I was surprised how little the fuel pump is in action for normal driving ( very little ) when I wired in an ammeter so maybe the egr is similarly inactive or closed most of the time ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 13:19   #20
billynomates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
it did quite a few 500 mile plus journeys at 85mpg average and that was based on tank to tank fill ups not the trip computer . ?

Sorry but I just cannot believe that from a 2.4ltr 2 ton car.