Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Marks on alloys. What are they?

Views : 3150

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2015, 19:04   #11
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloScot View Post
I have to agree, this is very poor for a my15 car.

The alloys on my 14 year old golf never had marks on them like that. nor Mrs A's 13 year old bmw. I hope my xc's alloys don't go like this.
The difference is though I doubt your other cars have a diamond cut wheel.

You have to remember that this is literally naked metal with clear on. It really is a rubbish finish to be used in the UK.

Volvo only replace DC wheels no repair although they can be, but even then wheel restorers do not warranty them because the finish is so well known to be fragile.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 19:09   #12
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS80 View Post
Without wanting to cause any offence, how often do you clean your car? There is quite a build up of dust and possibly road salt etc on your wheels that probably hasn't helped matters...
Brake dust is not really the problem it is more if any stones or chips hit the finish and damage it and once moisture gets hold it is done for. Alloy wheel cleaners these days are really quite amusing to me acid free ones tend to be strong alkali versions and the acidic ones are known to be bad.

Ultimately DC finished wheels really need cleaning with soap and water to get the most off, then a fallout remover such as iron x used to get any material left, tar remover and if necessary clay. Followed by sealing. Wheel cleaners won't help a DC finish but a lot of the time the damage has already occurred to the lacquer finish on the face.

Last edited by Ninja59; May 26th, 2015 at 19:12.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2015, 19:18   #13
JRS80

I had a Honda that suffered terribly from this so I know how fragile they can be. They look fantastic when new but are a nightmare to keep nice!!

Previously owned:
2005 V70 2.4 SE Auto 170
1999 V70 2.4 SE Auto 140
JRS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 19:41   #14
Lloydy76
SUV Tastic

As mentioned its a pitfall of the diamond cut finish especially the right angle of the spoke faces where the lacquer is thinner allowing moisture ingress which emanates outwards blowing the lacquer off as it goes.
As mentioned by ninja you will get limited or no warranty on refurbed alloys (had my old SRT alloys done by Chrysler).

Stonking finish new though. I went aftermarket for alloys recently and avoided dc finish for just this reason, even the shop assistant didn't recommend and this was on some £1k 3SDM alloys.
Lloydy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 23:48   #15
Rooster4t

DC finish is a nightmare. I have the same problem on mine although nearly 4yrs old. Only thing to do is clean and wax seal once dry. However, Volvo should replace yours under warranty or make a substantial contribution to replacements. Clearly not fit for purpose. Can't understand why manufacturers still persist with a finish that is known to be problematic.
Rooster4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:09   #16
volvo for ever
Premier Member

if car under warranty volvo will replace them np
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:37   #17
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster4t View Post
DC finish is a nightmare. I have the same problem on mine although nearly 4yrs old. Only thing to do is clean and wax seal once dry. However, Volvo should replace yours under warranty or make a substantial contribution to replacements. Clearly not fit for purpose. Can't understand why manufacturers still persist with a finish that is known to be problematic.
Because they look nice in the real world however they are useless.
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:39   #18
Srat

Volvo UK replaced all four of mine with "whiteworm", under warranty, at the 3 year service point.

I suspect it is a common problem, as there was no fuss or denial of the cause.

Mine were crazing from the centre cap and bolt holes - as a poster above said, at the 90' corners where the liquor is thinnest.
Srat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Srat For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:22   #19
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Thanks for all the comments. I will put this to the dealer. The car is due a service in a month or so and ideally this will be resolved at the same time. I do not wash my car religiously but I clean it often enough. Ironically I do the wheels more often than the bodywork as the colour of my car hides the dirt well and a wheel clean is enough to make the whole car look good.

I have not changed the washing regime of this car compared to any other car that I have had and this is the first time I have seen this. I will post back the response of the dealer when I speak to them as it may help others in future.
Old May 27th, 2015, 11:37   #20
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srat View Post
Volvo UK replaced all four of mine with "whiteworm", under warranty, at the 3 year service point.

I suspect it is a common problem, as there was no fuss or denial of the cause.

Mine were crazing from the centre cap and bolt holes - as a poster above said, at the 90' corners where the liquor is thinnest.
My Zephyrus DC used in winter months are coming up to four years old and show a little bit of whiteworm near the centre cap on one wheel only, nothing near as bad as the OP's case but I would not have expected any on wheels costing near £500 each. They should certainly be replaced under warranty. I did seal mine with GlossGuard but not unfortunately, from new. My Cratus alloys with summer tyres look fine.