Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hardwire a Dash Cam

Views : 11359

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 09:11   #11
cassell
Member since 1988

Wink

Any ideas what that fuse is for?

F33 20A Vacuum Pump (Haynes manual 12.36 wiring diagrams)
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 11:52   #12
swxc90

The electrician that fitted mine, installed a power connector (same as the 12v in the dash) above the interior light unit by the mirror, plugged in the power connector that would normally go into the 12v plug and tidied up the cables. I have a short amount coming out by the mirror to the camera.

The feed is taken off the interior lights which is live all the time when the car is running and powers off within a minute of the keys being removed.

He advised to do this, because the unit I have has a voltage regulator built into the power plug and his advice was to keep that in the loop.
swxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 14:45   #13
bokabil

More on these fuses...

I know the manual has a list of the fuse name and location. I also know Fuse #11 is not permanent live.

Is there another fuse that is also not permanent live? Is there a list from Volvo showing which ones are permanent and those not?

Thanks.
bokabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 12:30   #14
daveo19

Default Permanent live connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lex View Post
For a phone charger it (perhaps) wouldnt cause issues.... but we are discussing dahscams, where a permanent live causes the camera to be always on....
Hi guys

Just out of interest why are you guys seemingly avoiding permanent live connection?

(Read on... maybe I've answered my own question!)

The power draw of the Thinkware f750 I'm looking at is 3.5w at 12 volts. i.e.... approx 0.3 aH.

I'm about to buy a V40 and the stock battery is rated to 70Ah... so that works out at 210 hours - or approx 9 days of "ignition off" before it drains a fully-charged battery - not enough time to park for 2 weeks at the airport when going on holiday!

Anybody happen to know if in "ignition off" mode on these cameras drop into their own low power state and only record when movement is detected?

I've asked ThinkWare tech support if in parking-mode the device runs in a low power 'detection' mode? i.e. GPS/recording is disabled whilst movement is not detected (and hence less aH consumed when parked up) - and device just wakes up when it needs to record movement.

Is there anything I can drop inline to the hardwire kit just turn it all off when the car battery power gets low (i.e. I don't want to particularly be unable to start my car at 3am after a long flight from a 2 week holiday and a grumpy wife/kid on tow)?

All advice appreciated!

Dave
daveo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 16:04   #15
Gazzza

Default Dash Cam

this is sooooo easy

Remove the radio as per normal at the back of the unit where the 12v power supply

is that we use for phone ...sat nav and cut the wires and insert the electrical connector blocks

this way you can connect loads of items ( do not go over the rated rating of the MAIN fuse )

and make sure this lead that comes off is also fitted with an inline fuse

Now when we switch the car off NO POWER DRAIN because the socket is DEAD ..

So now every time we start the car dash cam goes live and the sat nav and the phone charger ...love it

Last edited by Gazzza; Mar 27th, 2017 at 16:27.
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 16:17   #16
Gazzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Any ideas what that fuse is for?

F33 20A Vacuum Pump (Haynes manual 12.36 wiring diagrams)
Yep the fuse box is made for all volvo cars and some things are connected and some are not.
Like if you have a petrol car the one that says heater plugs wont have a fuse in it because its for a Diesel and this one re the pump like mine we have a mechanical one i.e NOT electric

and also I dont have a sun roof in mine but putting a fuse in the sunroof fuse holder still don't work and then looking at the roof ... hmm still no sun roof must be a bad fuse ...PMSL

Last edited by Gazzza; Mar 27th, 2017 at 16:20.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 19:08   #17
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Piggy back fuses are the way forward for ease and reliability. No need to remove any modules or chopping and rejoining of cables. Also has the advantage that it's then isolated from the supplying circuit's fuse. If you were to use the chocolate block method from rear of 12v socket and then plugged in dodgy charger lead into the socket, you'd blow the lighter socket fuse and loose power to the supply that has been spurred off it.

Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 19:48   #18
Gazzza

Hmm disagree on that as the 12v socket is a good power feed....

The chance of not blowing that fuse are 99.9% ..

Now people could just plug that into any fuse in the car and 99.9% may just do that ..

I guess if you wanted to go try your route Simon I suggest they tap into fuse 11 and still be safe

As this is the 12v socket feed only and nothing else connected to it ( check your car manual incase Fuse 11 is NOT the 12v socket )

Last edited by Gazzza; Mar 27th, 2017 at 19:52.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 21:03   #19
Simon Jones
Premier Member

A mate of mine is an auto electrician and the most common problem he gets in his workshop is blown fuses on 12v accessory / lighter sockets because the owner has plugged in sat nav / phone lead and managed to short out both parts of the socket. As long as you never use the socket for anything then you're probably 100% safe.

The other thing to be mindful is that when it comes to selling the vehicle, it's simpler to unplug piggy back fuse and leave no trace of any modification. Having bought a Japanese import which previous owners had fitted loads of extras, it took hours to remove the extra cabling, choc blocks, ScotchLoks and bullet connectors, and then make good all the damaged wiring.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 21:28   #20
Gazzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
A mate of mine is an auto electrician and the most common problem he gets in his workshop is blown fuses on 12v accessory / lighter sockets because the owner has plugged in sat nav / phone lead and managed to short out both parts of the socket. As long as you never use the socket for anything then you're probably 100% safe.

The other thing to be mindful is that when it comes to selling the vehicle, it's simpler to unplug piggy back fuse and leave no trace of any modification. Having bought a Japanese import which previous owners had fitted loads of extras, it took hours to remove the extra cabling, choc blocks, ScotchLoks and bullet connectors, and then make good all the damaged wiring.
blown fuses.... really .....wow