Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash illumination.

Views : 5018

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 16:49   #11
mengland

Hi,

I've now got some photos to try to show you how to do it. Follow following steps (this is for the SC-805):

1) Remove Stereo from vehicle (make sure you have code) by pressing the bars on either side of the facisia, which should pop out, you can use these to pull radio and disconnect wiring from back and remove. Remove the volume knob by simply pulling it off.

2) Remove the screws from the side of the unit (2 on each side - see picture)

3) There are two clips on each side, two on the bottom and two on the top which need to be lifted (use a small flat blade screwdriver). - this can be a bit tricky, best to start at the bottom and work your way round easing the front off as you go. (stand the unit with the front panel facing the sky so you can access each side).

4) Lay the unit so you can see the back of the front panel - there are five (not 6 as i originally thought) small black circles (see picture). These can be removed by turning anti-clockwise 1/4 of a turn and lifted out.

5) The bulbs are then visible in the holders (see picture). Remove the old bulb by picking at the seal and then unwinding the legs of the bulb and pull out of holder.

6) Remove the blue cover and place on new bulb. Wind the legs around as before and replace in the front panel.

7) Refit the front to the stereo and thats it!

(As mentioned bulbs are available at Maplin part number BT43W (12 V 60mA)

On a slightly different note:
CR_VOLVO: You say you removed the computer switch by pushing from behind. I tried for ages today and just ended up with damaged fingers! I can remove the lock button and the blanker from the otherside with ease, however couldnt remove the switch. Also, Haynes says there are retaining clips, can you tell me if you needed alot of force, or if there were retaining clips?

Also, does anyone know what the blank space is for (on the right of the centre console) as mine seems to have the wires in place but no button, is it something useful that I could fit now?

Thanks all.

Marcus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screws on the side.JPG (86.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Clips on the top.JPG (99.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 5 black discs.JPG (118.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Remove bulb.JPG (73.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Bulb in holder.JPG (26.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Remove knob.JPG (70.9 KB, 84 views)
mengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 17:06   #12
dralphs

Hi

if you mean the switch on right hand side above radio, its for the electric child locks. I think CD versions have it.

to remov the computer switch, my manual says to remove the radio, undo the screws holding the panel and tilt it forward so that you can depress the retaining clips.

Dave
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 17:10   #13
mengland

Thanks Dave,

Does it say if you have to remove the heater control fascia first or just tilt forward?

Cheers
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 19:17   #14
4 forty
VOC Member

Default bulb procedure

thanks to our new member, mengland for his detailed and informative procedure for replacing the bulbs, perhaps bob or iain may put this onto the appropiate "how to" section. for future reference

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 19:27   #15
ChrisO

If you do not feel confident to take the radio apart there is a company in Ipswich (Central Services Tel :01473 725953) who will fix blown radio bulbs, they will arrange to collect and return by courier.

They also stock replacement knobs and buttons.
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 13:01   #16
kelvintom

Default Dash illumination.

hi i got a s40 t4 2001 and mine is illuminated.Dont know if some are painted but mine isnt.
kelvintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 07:58   #17
cr_volvo

Default Switch removal

hi,
Yes mine was help in place by 4 small plastic clips but it was very easy just to push it out from the rear, once the radio was revomed (I did not have to remove the heater controls). The clips do have a small taper allowing them to be pushed out.
Thanks,
CR_VOLVO

PS: Now a 2 Volvo family, aswell as my S40 we picked up a S70 at the weekend....

Last edited by cr_volvo; Nov 13th, 2006 at 07:58. Reason: spelling mistakes
cr_volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:13   #18
mengland

Ok,

Last night I thought I'd follow Haynes as I couldnt manage to press the clips while it was still in place, so I removed the heater controls (needed alot of pressure to do this - was a bit worried about damaging stuff)

I managed to get to the bulb in the switch and removed it (just bought a new one today)

When I put everything back together again I found that the bulbs on the heater controls no longer worked! (Have now bought some of those to replace too)

The problem is I am worried they won't work as seems a bit of a coincidence that they both worked before it was removed then both didn't afterwards. I tesed the bulbs with 12V and still found they didn't work.

Is it possible to damage these bulbs when removing the controls? Also, are they 12V (if not they may have blow when i tested them with 12 V).

Hopefully will be fixed this week sometime but worried that I may have to replace the whole control panel if the PCB is damaged!!
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 23:41   #19
peteS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengland View Post
Is it possible to damage these bulbs when removing the controls? Also, are they 12V (if not they may have blow when i tested them with 12 V).

Hopefully will be fixed this week sometime but worried that I may have to replace the whole control panel if the PCB is damaged!!
It might have been possible if the ignition was on, otherwise no I'm sure.

Are you saying all the heater control bulbs now definitely do not work?

They may only be rated at 9V if you had blown them chances are they would glow real bright then burn out or just glow real bright.

To verify the voltage, try and connect up the heater controls with a bulb removed and measure voltage across the bulb contacts on the PCB.

Unlikely to have damaged PCB as usually that is a problem on the phase 2 models it seems.

If bulbs are ok but not module backlights not coming on, make sure it is fully pressed home so the connector contacts are sound and try giving it a whack in case there is a loose contact and see if they come on then. Sounds strange, but a good slap can fix anything electrical from time to time

Pete
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:15   #20
mengland

I tested the bulbs with a 12 V power supply and they didn't light up at all, nothing. Thats why i guess they are blown. Also, everything else on the controls works, including bulbs to show aircon and heated rearscreen are on etc.

If the bulbs were about to go anyway, the 'shock' when the panel was removed may have finished them off??