Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RV8 in my 940

Views : 5942

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2010, 21:00   #11
steve howes
Premier Member

you are the second member on here doing this conversion .you need to get in touch with CRAZY C he might be able to give you some pointers.
ps if you can't find him here try VPCUK

Last edited by steve howes; Dec 11th, 2010 at 21:03.
steve howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 11:24   #12
karlos_uk
Master Member

found on retro rides!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 11:44   #13
Scotteth
The Reverse Hearse

Fair play for sticking to your guns, but when it comes to how much you're going to spend on the RV8 and potential twin turbo conversion, you might as well buy a 350 small block or LS series engine which isn't that heavy and is quite compact, have the cam and heads changed and Et voilà: you're putting out in the region of 450-500bhp and almost same again in torque.

If you wish to go down the forced induction route you can always add a blower which sees the potential as almost limitless.

I'm not just speaking as someone who's read a bit, but a long term TVRCC member (most of my friends have TVR) and with a he'll of a lot of friends in the professional drag racing world where they're utilising either chevy engines or Mopar

ETA:
lol cheers Jimbo

Last edited by Scotteth; Dec 15th, 2010 at 11:47. Reason: Edit
Scotteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 11:01   #14
karlos_uk
Master Member

blimey i wasnt wanting that kind of hp!

its all to do with pricing. i cant find a smallblock chevy for what i paid for my complete with all anciliaries RV8 (INCLUDING injectiors and ecu etc.)

and i just really want the v8 sound, with my precious volvo. the fun part will be the miles and miles of wiring and splicing that will need to be done.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 17:16   #15
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Why? Its all beyond me.What kind of insurence companys will insure these sort of animals.Or will it spend its life on a trailer?All great reading though good luck.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 17:36   #16
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplights941 View Post
Why? Its all beyond me.What kind of insurence companys will insure these sort of animals.Or will it spend its life on a trailer?All great reading though good luck.
Why? I think it's about being individual and building something that's different, and an engineering challenge. At least, that's why I like doing modified cars!

Insurance is not a problem. I had a 1970 Scimitar with a 4.6 efi TVR V8 fitted, double the power of the original engine, and insured it for £400 fully comp inc business use with Afrian Flux. In fact, it cost less than half as much to insure as the BMW M5 I had before, which was unmodified and slower than the Scimitar!

Personally I wouldn't go the RV8 route, but all power to you karlos and good luck with the project!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 21:34   #17
GMad
Premier Member

My S60 (five cylinders) and my Suzuki Hayabusa (four cylinders), both outperform my Trans Am (V8)!
But the Pontiac is way more fun simply because of the soundtrack.
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 22:18   #18
Paddy Wagon

Just my two pence worth from someone who is a die hard V8 lover. The Rover V8 has the advantage of being relatively lightweight so little will be required in the way of brake/suspension mods, and as you say, you can twin turbo it etc. The downside of the Rover V8 is that compared to a typical Yank V8, there dreadfull on petrol and being all alloy, prone to head gasket problems, I know, I've done it. If you could find yourself a late '60's/early '70's pre-emmision small block Yank V8, such as a 327 or 350 Chevy,, or a 351 Ford, you have 8 cylanders, two exhausts, one 4 barrel carb, no electronics to go wrong, and 300+hp as it sits, plus you can hammer the Be Jaysus out of it and you will not break it. I've just bought a 940 wagon with the LT6 2.4TDic engine, which I'm very impressed with, but if I do find a decent 350 Chevy lump, the LT6 is definately going in the rubbish bin. Best of luck to you with your project and more power to you for sticking to your guns on the RV8, Yank or Rover, nothing can beat the sound of a V8, go for it.
Paddy Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 08:32   #19
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Wagon View Post
Just my two pence worth from someone who is a die hard V8 lover. The Rover V8 has the advantage of being relatively lightweight so little will be required in the way of brake/suspension mods, and as you say, you can twin turbo it etc. The downside of the Rover V8 is that compared to a typical Yank V8, there dreadfull on petrol and being all alloy, prone to head gasket problems, I know, I've done it. If you could find yourself a late '60's/early '70's pre-emmision small block Yank V8, such as a 327 or 350 Chevy,, or a 351 Ford, you have 8 cylanders, two exhausts, one 4 barrel carb, no electronics to go wrong, and 300+hp as it sits, plus you can hammer the Be Jaysus out of it and you will not break it. I've just bought a 940 wagon with the LT6 2.4TDic engine, which I'm very impressed with, but if I do find a decent 350 Chevy lump, the LT6 is definately going in the rubbish bin. Best of luck to you with your project and more power to you for sticking to your guns on the RV8, Yank or Rover, nothing can beat the sound of a V8, go for it.
Only a Merlin V12. Now sticking that in 9 series would be a project.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 12:13   #20
Paddy Wagon

Ah, a V12 Merlin, now your talking perfection,,,and her twin sister, wonder where you'd put the .303's? Do you remember that guy, I think his name was John Dodds, he used to put Merlins in just about anything. A 900 wagon would look pretty interesting with a Rotel constant speed 4 blade prop hanging off the front, Tally Ho,,,,,
Paddy Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paddy Wagon For This Useful Post: