Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

R Design Lux missing feature?

Views : 3032

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2012, 22:17   #11
Mountain Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Just thinking, you aren't counting the LED strips between the headlights and radiators as the DRL are you?

These are not bright enough to be classed as DRL and in the wrong place. The Volvo models that are using LED DRL have replaced the fog lights (below the bumper, at the extreme left and right) whereas the XC60 LED strip is effectively only decorative

This has been the subject of an awful lot of posts , but could it be that the 2013 xc60 has also chosen the fog light replacement option for DRLs?
Looking at latest Volvo website info on the S/V60 the light arrangement is the same as the XC60. Meaning that the LEDs are not DRLs as wimorrison says, so the dipped beam must be on all the time when switch is in Position 0, same as on the XC.
This means that auto/tunnel lights would be superfluous anyway as the lights would be on all the time.
New S/V40s I've seen do have LED DRLs so there would be a point in having auto dipped beam in that situation.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 23:03   #12
Mrcoffeegeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Looking at latest Volvo website info on the S/V60 the light arrangement is the same as the XC60. Meaning that the LEDs are not DRLs as wimorrison says, so the dipped beam must be on all the time when switch is in Position 0, same as on the XC.
This means that auto/tunnel lights would be superfluous anyway as the lights would be on all the time.
New S/V40s I've seen do have LED DRLs so there would be a point in having auto dipped beam in that situation.
Sounds like we're getting somewhere with this puzzle now then, its also very misleading info from Volvo when it comes to the rain/tunnel sensor. The S60 manual with the car clearly says to use the function you have to have the lights set to auto, if that doesn't apply in what they're calling "certain markets" then it means I'm driving with the Xenons on permenantly.
I remember seeing a thread somewhere on here discussing the lifetime of xenon bulbs but can't remember what the outcome was, can't say ill be thrilled at having to replace those if they blow.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 18:18   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcoffeegeek View Post
Sounds like we're getting somewhere with this puzzle now then, its also very misleading info from Volvo when it comes to the rain/tunnel sensor. The S60 manual with the car clearly says to use the function you have to have the lights set to auto, if that doesn't apply in what they're calling "certain markets" then it means I'm driving with the Xenons on permenantly.
I remember seeing a thread somewhere on here discussing the lifetime of xenon bulbs but can't remember what the outcome was, can't say ill be thrilled at having to replace those if they blow.
The Bi-xenon gas discharge bulbs last around 7 years maybe more when used as day running lights .. ie on all the time ...
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 22:20   #14
volvorocks
Rodney

A lot of S60’s and V60’s have been built and are in the distribution network. Some of those vehicles are 12 registered, some are 62 registered. Some may even be a few months old depending so the possibility is there that they are ‘older spec’

The S60’s lighting set up is the same as XC60 in so far as lights in far left position means headlights on and small vertical LED’s on. In the middle position just the vertical LED’s are on (parking lights). In the far most right position headlights are on as are vertical LED’s.

The tunnel sensing feature is (I understand) only available in certain markets, whereby the vertical LED’s are on in auto position, and when it goes dark (in a tunnel) the headlights come on, then go off when natural light permits. There is (from what I understand) no different look at the front of the vehicle (ie no extra lights that act as DRL’s etc).

I have put a photo in my album (not sure how to post in the thread unless pic already on a site or photobucket etc) of the S60 light switch. For the record this is identical to the one on the demo 12 reg car (July 2012) that was an Rdesign Lux. Take a look and see if your switch is the same.

Ref the high beam facility also 'available' on S60 (as on new V40), I know of no cars currently registered with this at the moment - despite the 'MY13 moniker'

As far as I am aware MY13 technically are not yet out until all the ‘already built’ cars are sold.

When you ordered your car - how long did it take between ordering and delivery? If it was a couple of weeks or so it’s a pre-built vehicle already in the network, so more than likely ‘an older spec’ If its months its probably built to order.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 20:26   #15
Mrcoffeegeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
A lot of S60’s and V60’s have been built and are in the distribution network. Some of those vehicles are 12 registered, some are 62 registered. Some may even be a few months old depending so the possibility is there that they are ‘older spec’

The S60’s lighting set up is the same as XC60 in so far as lights in far left position means headlights on and small vertical LED’s on. In the middle position just the vertical LED’s are on (parking lights). In the far most right position headlights are on as are vertical LED’s.

The tunnel sensing feature is (I understand) only available in certain markets, whereby the vertical LED’s are on in auto position, and when it goes dark (in a tunnel) the headlights come on, then go off when natural light permits. There is (from what I understand) no different look at the front of the vehicle (ie no extra lights that act as DRL’s etc).

I have put a photo in my album (not sure how to post in the thread unless pic already on a site or photobucket etc) of the S60 light switch. For the record this is identical to the one on the demo 12 reg car (July 2012) that was an Rdesign Lux. Take a look and see if your switch is the same.

Ref the high beam facility also 'available' on S60 (as on new V40), I know of no cars currently registered with this at the moment - despite the 'MY13 moniker'

As far as I am aware MY13 technically are not yet out until all the ‘already built’ cars are sold.

When you ordered your car - how long did it take between ordering and delivery? If it was a couple of weeks or so it’s a pre-built vehicle already in the network, so more than likely ‘an older spec’ If its months its probably built to order.

Regards
I ordered the car at the beginning of August, it was built the last week in September & delivered last week.
The manual is wrong though, because the vertical leds are not classed as DRL & all cars built now have to have DRL by euro law then dipped beam is classed as DRL. The tunnel sensor only comes into play in markets where DRL are not a legal requirement?!? The fleet manager has a V60 R-Design Lux and hers has the same lighting arrangement as mine, she was also bemused by the description in the manual & is going to take it up with Volvo. Apparently she's had to do that a few times in the past with various errors.
So effectively on the outside the tunnel sensor does nothing but it is combined with the rain sensor so you dont get one without the other anyway.
Puzzle over, explanation obtained, Volvo need to sort their manuals out
I did notice today though that driving into a tunnel my dashboard lights dimmed down, then when i came out of the other side they went back to normal.
All said and done though the S60 is an awesome car, it is by far the most comfortable car i've ever owned in 20 years of driving & the D2 engine is a little belter. I've came from a 2.2 185bhp engine down to the D2 and had my reservations but its the pokiest punchiest little 1.6 i've driven, simply brilliant & it has a nice little growl to it.
From what i believe its derived from the same Focus engine which by comparison is gutless, noisy & down right awful.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 20:31   #16
volvorocks
Rodney

^^^

The dashboard lights do dim when it gets dark.

Interesting what you say.

Volvo do make one hek of a lot of mistakes, even the website can be incorrect, and dealers are also in the dark along with customers!

Its a kind of guessing game.

Glad you sorted the mystery.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 21:42   #17
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

@mrcoffeegeek there is a small, but very important clarification to your statement about DRL. You are correct that Volvo is using the dipped headlights on some models as DRL, this is completely within the regulations and Volvo have been ahead of the pack for many years in this regard.

The point that needs correcting is that it is passenger vehicles type approved after 5 Feb 2011 that require DRL to be operative when the engine is running and no other lights are in use, it is nothing to do with when the vehicle is manufactured. Many vehicles that were type approved before the enforcement date are still being manufactured and sold perfectly legally without DRLs. Volvo do not describe the vertical LED lights as DRLs.

As I said, a small but important piece of information

Last edited by wimorrison; Oct 16th, 2012 at 21:47. Reason: Spelling :) iPads are a pain with auto correction
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote