Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC 60 8 speed gearbox and VEA engine

Views : 19534

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2013, 19:42   #11
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternb View Post
Having just ordered D4 AWD SE LUX NAV, I'm beginning to wonder whether I've made a bad decision?
And if you had waited until the next new model was available then you would been annoyed at that point in time because a few months later they introduced another model that had some features you don't have

It is a fact that they will always change models and the day you buy any item it will be superseded by something 'better'

You will enjoy the car you have ordered, I should have sold mine last year but I like it so much I am keeping it for 5 years rather than the more normal 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 20:48   #12
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
And if you had waited until the next new model was available then you would been annoyed at that point in time because a few months later they introduced another model that had some features you don't have

It is a fact that they will always change models and the day you buy any item it will be superseded by something 'better'

You will enjoy the car you have ordered, I should have sold mine last year but I like it so much I am keeping it for 5 years rather than the more normal 3.
I agree. It doesn't matter what you buy these days there is always an update around the corner.

However, with the new engines I am not sure that the new versions are necessarily going to be better. They have been designed amidst the clamour for improved economy and emissions and downsizing - but that doesn't necessarily equate with them being "better" engines.

I too will hang on to my five pot for a while to see how the new engines work out in practice. I would hate to trade up to the latest offering - and end up with a lesser machine!
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 20:49   #13
Daniel TD5

I have a se lux on order due mid September

The only bit that would up set me if the 8 speed auto as a lower than 22% bik
Of my d4 manual
Daniel TD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 22:37   #14
oldbeanracing

As the new models are so very close I will hold on until I know exactly what is going to be available.
The 8 speed BMW X3 is superb and I would have this BUT the ride and seats are toooooooo German for my old bum , the VOL is much more comfortable plus the fold flat seats and folding front seat make it a good load lugger for my race gear......could always sleep in it if necessary

With reasonable economy,8 speed and sensible tyre requirements the XC60 becomes the Best In Its Class.
( special tyres and distribution box probs are BMW's expensive secret)
Just sort out the specs and I'll get my order in.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 12:02   #15
hubbalp

Smile Wait or don't wait

I have ordered a D5 awd xc60 and delivery is mid to late sept. I have a ford on work pcp scheme and needed to either buy it or change. I agonised and to some degree still am unsure, but my decision was based on the reply to an email enquiry i made on the vea release timeline from volvo. They said the the lower powered fwd will be released first in the late 2013. Whilst the other engines will follow of course it then made it an unknown wait for the higher power versions in awd. Hence I went ahead somewhat caught between a rock and an unknown place. I like 5 pot sound and so I am sure I will enjoy it. Nearly all my miles are A-road and motorway so I hope I will get reasonable economy. I certainly did in the d5 demo and the my14 has been tweaked a bit more. So I went into it with eyes open the only annoyance is the car is taking a bit longer. If it arrives in the same month as the vea that would be a bit annoying but hey the car is going to be great no mater.

Last edited by hubbalp; Aug 17th, 2013 at 12:06.
hubbalp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hubbalp For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 22:32   #16
atlantique

I am new to the forum so first would like to welcome all volvo fans here. The official press release published by Volvo on August 16 discussed earlier in this thread has just been translated to French and Dutch on the Volvo page in Belgium (where I live). Interestingly, it provides somewhat additional information concerning the types of VEA engine paired with 8-step auto gearbox in specific models. Especially interesting are the figures on the fuel efficiency of the new engines:

e.g. XC60 D4 181pk 8 AUT. CO2 emission: 123, litres per 100km = 4.6 (average/mixed).

You may need to do a conversion to mpg to visualise but to me personally it looks quite impressive.

Full article is here in French but the detailed table is self-explanatory:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/be/e...?mediaid=50538
atlantique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atlantique For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:53   #17
I-S
Premier Member

Useful list. The V70 T5 looks interesting (he says, having just acquired a D5). I wonder how real world fuel economy will work out though.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 08:29   #18
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I have just received all data, performance etc etc charts for:

S60
V60
V60 Hybrid
S80
V70
XC70
XC60

All as pdf docs. Anyone interested to read, PM me (not sure how to upload pdfs).
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 16:51   #19
BenH
On a journey...

If I was ordering a company car in the near future, this would be good news.

While the existing D3/4/5 engines are characterful and good on Co2 with a manual, the D4/5 are woeful when coupled with the Geartronic 'box and rule out an auto for most company users.

The 5-cylinder engines are an attraction, but there aren't many (any?) other options out there now if you want to keep that sort of noise under your bonnet in the S/V/XC60 segment. Most buyers attracted to a Volvo will be going for other attributes including great interiors, spec and the "premium-but-I'm-not-a-w***ker" package.

That said, this news does make me even more delighted that I have a 5-cylinder 2.4 D5. This is probably an engine format that won't be available in 2015 when I come to decision-time again - which may just prompt me to exit the company scheme and run my D5 privately at the end of term.
BenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 17:05   #20
richy2

Thanks to NewVolvo, the specs make interesting reading. The new D4 in the XC60 looks to be all but as fast as the current D5 (215), a touch less torque although still good at 400nm whilst being more fuel efficient and producing less emmisions. Whilst I do like the sound of my D5 I think the improvements on the D4 seem quite compelling. Hoping for a change early next year as my AWD Geartronic will be three years old so I'd like it to be the new D4 with AWD and hopefully the new 8 speed auto (assuming it's a traditional torque converter auto and not a dual clutch... I like the progressive nature of a 'proper' auto for towing, especially tight reversing).
richy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richy2 For This Useful Post: