Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How long are XC60 Batteries lasting?

Views : 4259

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 23:42   #11
Rooster
Speed freak

Seen a few of the main batteries on stop/start vehicles getting replaced due to the system deciding the battery was below threshold even though the car appeared to start fine
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 00:25   #12
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGEM View Post
Batteries don't last as long in Australia generally. (Maybe it's a combination of the heat and the low quality batteries most people use) The motoring services callout guy who replaced the battery in my sister's Toyota recently says he sees batteries fail on average after 3 years, with some as early as 2 years.

Garages have a tendency to replace batteries and brake pads without a reason. They make money this way. Often times they will say, the car doesn't start or has an hesitation because of the battery.

Perhaps given the temperatures, a battery would last less, but 3 years on average it's impossible. An original equipment battery should last from at least 6-7 years to a good 8-12 years. Now, there were exceptions to the rule, I've read that on several recent Lexus (!) the dealers replaced the battery for free under warranty after about 2-3 years.

Here in Canada, with cold winters, I expect an original battery to last more than 8 years.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 18:01   #13
GMcL
0's and 1's

Looks like mine is toast at 3years and 7months. The CTEK is charging it back to full overnight, leave it 4 days and I get Low Battery! which then doesn't go away no matter how long I drive for, when I switch off I get powering down in 2 mins due to low battery.

Torque is reporting 14+ volts when driving suggesting alternator is not at fault, not sure what Amps are coming out.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 04:50   #14
Crockers
Premier Member

Mine was replaced under warranty at 14 months...hmmmm
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 17:07   #15
ltp888

Unhappy xc60 t5 2011, with battery 12v 70Ah 41-12 ( week 41, 2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Mine was replaced under warranty at 14 months...hmmmm
my pre owned 2011 xc60 t5 with original volvo germany batt 12v 70Ah was flat this afternoon. it was perfect yesterday.

i assumed is was less than 2 years old since the mfg date embosed on batt as week 41, 2012. my "volvo on call" technician tested the dead batt showing 6v. and advised me to replace with a new volvo batt at 700rm or consider after mkt at 450rm. but after market rated 12v 66Ah.

i have 2 qns :

(1).
how could i know if my ori batt made in germany less than 2 yrs in service is ripe for replacement ? the manual says batt warranty 1 year. but the threads in this posting repeatedly mention ori batt lasting 5-10 years...could i have been ill advised by the "volvo on call" ? could i have just jump start the batt and it will be good for another 3-8 years ?

(2)
can a (a) 12V 66Ah after market replace (b) 12v 70Ah without posing any problem ?

curious and upset..

pls advise..

tq
ltp888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 20:29   #16
GMcL
0's and 1's

It's usual to go up battery ratings not down. OK 70 down to 66 may not be seen as critical but still unusual.

My own battery was flashing up warnings and I thought it was toast. The last recovery charge seems to have fixed it. Murphy's Law says one Monday morning in the next couple of weeks it will be flatter than a snakes belly.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 09:47   #17
sunshinetours

Any leisure type battery or car battery will not like being left to discharge more than a couple, of times, its simply shortens the life.
Whilst a trickle charger can help revive a "dead" battery its likely you are then on borrowed time.

Modern cars have huge amounts of electrical requirements and lots of short journeys will also help kill a battery unless you trickle charge as mentioned above.
Modern cars are also very sensitive to battery voltage output which is probably why many report strange things happening once battery is on way out
sunshinetours is offline   Reply With Quote