Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How I see the heated windscreen

Views : 4839

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2015, 21:44   #11
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
It's the squiggly lines down the windscreen that I see and it's probably most noticeable towards the end in 1080p.
I have watched it twice, but can't see anything bar perhaps some vertical lines in the sky near the end?

Think it may be like the fact some people are more susceptible to motion blur on tv than other people?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2015, 21:50   #12
Roland_F

According to my XC60 manual:

Electric additional heater Cars with certain petrol engines have an electric additional heater integrated into the car's climate control system. In a semi-cold climate zone diesel-driven cars have an electric additional heater instead of a fuel-driven version. The heater cannot be controlled manually but is instead activated automatically after the
engine has been started in outside temperatures below 14 °C and is switched off after the set passenger compartment temperature has been reached.

Apparently information about zones can be obtained from the dealer.

I have suspected that my XC60 D4 has had an electric filament because in cold weather the engine reaches operating temperature much quicker than previous diesels.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roland_F For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2015, 22:26   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potshot View Post
Since when have Volvo's had an electric heating element in their heater. It didn't have them in the 2003 model S60. Seeing I am looking for a car right now and probably another Volvo so knowing when they started putting an electric heating element in the heater would be handy.
as from all new models from 2005 ie S/V/40 C30 C70 V70 S60 etc
Old Nov 14th, 2015, 23:08   #14
potshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
as from all new models from 2005 ie S/V/40 C30 C70 V70 S60 etc

So the face lift S60 54 plate onwards. It will clear the windscreen from frost. Did they put heated windscreens on the S60's on later models.
potshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2015, 23:45   #15
Chrisv60

I'm pretty certain my v60 doesn't have the electric heating in the heater system. When cold it won't even clear steam let alone frost, although the heated windscreen clears it in seconds. It takes a good 10 minutes driving before the heater starts blowing slightly warm.
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 01:06   #16
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I have watched it twice, but can't see anything bar perhaps some vertical lines in the sky near the end?

Think it may be like the fact some people are more susceptible to motion blur on tv than other people?

Regards
Well I'm watching it in HD on a 40" 4k monitor and I can see the squiggly wires just fine. It's the first time I've seen the wires on dash cam footage hence the reason I commented. It is more noticeable against the sky in the video but it's nothing near as bad as the real thing for me.

I am OCD when it comes to all things visual. Limited production Panasonic Studio Master Panel re-calibrated every 9 months. Lumagen processing. 4k PC monitor driven by 3 graphics cards. I won't go to the cinema because the picture quality isn't good enough. I'm a great trial to my family. It's how I made a living for 45 years though.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 01:55   #17
potshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
I'm pretty certain my v60 doesn't have the electric heating in the heater system. When cold it won't even clear steam let alone frost, although the heated windscreen clears it in seconds. It takes a good 10 minutes driving before the heater starts blowing slightly warm.
I know other cars have electric heaters built in, ie, the Raz4 I was driving blew warm on the windscreen straight away. Maybe the UK isn't considered cold enough for the heaters. I think I will have to look out for heated windscreens. What year did they start to come in.
potshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 03:20   #18
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post

I am OCD when it comes to all things visual. Limited production Panasonic Studio Master Panel re-calibrated every 9 months. Lumagen processing. 4k PC monitor driven by 3 graphics cards. I won't go to the cinema because the picture quality isn't good enough. I'm a great trial to my family. It's how I made a living for 45 years though.
You made a good living by not going to the cinema or by being OCD??...( )...hopefully the latter...!! Join the club..lol

I generally avoid the cinema because it is not only too loud for my tender ears, but also poor quality sound to boot...!!!....

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 10:34   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
volvo heaters are in decline it seems ! after being voted the best available by MOTOR magazine in the 140 in the early 70's , got up to 38 C inside . runner up was Mercedes at 32 C . It wasn't surprising when they ran at 92 C then with huge heater radiators and 19mm water supply pipes .
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 10:37   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potshot View Post
So the face lift S60 54 plate onwards. It will clear the windscreen from frost. Did they put heated windscreens on the S60's on later models.
no not face lifts , NEW models , S80 from 2007 V70 from 2008 and S60 from 2010 and we are talking about electric heating elements in the heater..... not heated windscreens which are very rare in volvos .