Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

07 D5 Limp Mode Help

Views : 2157

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2023, 18:59   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
I guess you could be grasping at straws somewhat. In this regard the following may not help.

However is it worth looking at the rubber air inlet charge pipe ?

I know it's relating to an earlier car (V70 D5 euro3) and your car may differ greatly, but the following happened to me.

The pipe collapsed (the rubber softens with age) when the suction/vacuum increased with load causing a restriction. When inspected the pipe had of course re-formed itself so visibly looked fine. In my case there was however a fluttering noise when the pipe collapsed and boost was lost.

It's the section on the right of the image.

As previously suggested also check the integrity of the vacuum circuit, although I suspect the turbo actuator on your later car may be electrically and not vacuum operated ?
Euro 4 has hard plastic pipes in the inlet
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 19:03   #12
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliddoris View Post
Hopefully the MAF isn't broke, they don't exactly seem to be cheap.

I'll give the connector a clean, sensor itself a clean and try to re-adapt it in Vida.
I think with a major boostleak your fault wouldnt be intermittent
And maybe you can test one at the breakers if problem goes away you got a cheaper solution....if not, you dont buy it and can rule out a probable fault
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 20:47   #13
Cliddoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
I guess you could be grasping at straws somewhat. In this regard the following may not help.

However is it worth looking at the rubber air inlet charge pipe ?

I know it's relating to an earlier car (V70 D5 euro3) and your car may differ greatly, but the following happened to me.

The pipe collapsed (the rubber softens with age) when the suction/vacuum increased with load causing a restriction. When inspected the pipe had of course re-formed itself so visibly looked fine. In my case there was however a fluttering noise when the pipe collapsed and boost was lost.

It's the section on the right of the image.

As previously suggested also check the integrity of the vacuum circuit, although I suspect the turbo actuator on your later car may be electrically and not vacuum operated ?
Thanks man, being a euro 4 I have a soli plastic I let pipe, so the PCV connects to a hard plastic pipe and it's only a small coupler to the turbo, it was probably the first thing I checked as that's what it felt like.
Cliddoris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliddoris For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 21:06   #14
Cliddoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
I think with a major boostleak your fault wouldnt be intermittent
And maybe you can test one at the breakers if problem goes away you got a cheaper solution....if not, you dont buy it and can rule out a probable fault
I'll maybe ask about see if anyone local can let me borrow one to rule it out
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 20:52   #15
camturbo

It could be your electronic turbo actuator on it's way out,inside the actuator there are plastic cogs on one side and a circuit board on the other. If one of the gogs have worn or broke it wont see full boost,same with loose connection on the circuit board. The other idea might be the turbo vanes are sticking,you could try and disconnect the actuator arm from the turbo(think its held on by a small circlip,dont loose it) then you should be able to move the cam arm of the turbo. Should move freely with actuator disconnected. These are ideas as I had similar issues to you and replaced the actuator.
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 20:44   #16
Cliddoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by camturbo View Post
It could be your electronic turbo actuator on it's way out,inside the actuator there are plastic cogs on one side and a circuit board on the other. If one of the gogs have worn or broke it wont see full boost,same with loose connection on the circuit board. The other idea might be the turbo vanes are sticking,you could try and disconnect the actuator arm from the turbo(think its held on by a small circlip,dont loose it) then you should be able to move the cam arm of the turbo. Should move freely with actuator disconnected. These are ideas as I had similar issues to you and replaced the actuator.
Worth looking into, I'll disconnect the actuator arm and check the VNT can move freely and check the activation with Vida.
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 20:51   #17
Cliddoris

Went to give the car a much needed service and also check for boost leaks, found some oil on the resonator pipe, so I replaced it with a silicon one.

I might have a tiny crack at one of the mounts on the plastic tube, I'm gonna epoxy is sealed when I pick some up, how the hell do you get this pipe out? The single piece plastic one that goes under the engine.

I'm now pretty sure as 5cylinder said that the MAF is intact dead, I got the permanent limp mode today and happened to have the laptop logging at the time, the first time I got the engine service code is when the MAF reading spontaneously doubled what it should be, then the 2nd time it happened again and I had no boost for a long time.

I've ordered a new MAF, will post back if it sorts the issue or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maf blip.jpg (80.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg blip 2 limp mode.jpg (77.6 KB, 7 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliddoris For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 19:06   #18
Cliddoris

Replaced the MAF sensor, but it's snowing so i can't beat the car too hard to try and induce limp mode.

But i'm still getting the same MAF error with 'Engine System Service Required' after a few miles of driving, concerningly I also got a Turbo control pressure too high warning, first i've seen that....

Hopefully the MAF wasn't a complete waste and it stops the 'limp mode'

I'll be taking the circlip off the turbo tomorrow to check the vanes movement when cold and warm, following that what is the best way to test the actuator itself?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Now turbo.....jpg (57.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Cliddoris; Jan 17th, 2023 at 21:47.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 22:17   #19
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliddoris View Post
Replaced the MAF sensor, but it's snowing so i can't beat the car too hard to try and induce limp mode.

But i'm still getting the same MAF error with 'Engine System Service Required' after a few miles of driving, concerningly I also got a Turbo control pressure too high warning, first i've seen that....

Hopefully the MAF wasn't a complete waste and it stops the 'limp mode'

I'll be taking the circlip off the turbo tomorrow to check the vanes movement when cold and warm, following that what is the best way to test the actuator itself?
A "new" maf needs to be calibrated in vida.... and also try to calibrate the vane actuator in vida if you have not done it yet
A vane check on movement wont hurt could be stuck indeed, and it will affect the required airmass and boost values

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jan 17th, 2023 at 22:29.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 22:56   #20
Cliddoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
A "new" maf needs to be calibrated in vida.... and also try to calibrate the vane actuator in vida if you have not done it yet
A vane check on movement wont hurt could be stuck indeed, and it will affect the required airmass and boost values
I performed an adaptation in Vida for the MAF when i put it in, I assume that is the same as a calibration?

Under activations there's a boost controller activation, will that let me determine if the VNT actuator is at fault?