Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 central locking seizure

Views : 2041

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 08:06   #11
Lancee
Premier Member

Lots of help being offered here but no reply as yet from the OP.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 08:25   #12
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Lots of help being offered here but no reply as yet from the OP.
Just what I was thinking. Can't be that urgent....
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 09:28   #13
VolvoSue

Default Trying to reply to all

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I’m not quite sure how to respond to everyone individually so I hope this can be read. From your responses, I think that the deadbolt must be activated - I didn’t even know this was a feature. I’m not sure why this has happened though as I have always used the key since the remote fob stopped working? As I mentioned, I have managed to get the lock buttons up via looping a bit of string over them and was going to attempt to get a wire coat hanger in to try and open the handle from inside. However, sounds like that won’t work either if it is indeed a deadbolt situation. I shall send my key fob to the repair place that I was given a link to within this thread and hope that will do the trick. Also, the keys definitely don’t open the boot. My old Volvo V70 definitely had a separate key.
Again, many thanks to all and I’m so sorry to appear rude by not responding earlier but I’m new to navigating this site 😕
VolvoSue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VolvoSue For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 15:02   #14
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoSue View Post
Thank you to everyone who has responded. I’m not quite sure how to respond to everyone individually so I hope this can be read. From your responses, I think that the deadbolt must be activated - I didn’t even know this was a feature. I’m not sure why this has happened though as I have always used the key since the remote fob stopped working? As I mentioned, I have managed to get the lock buttons up via looping a bit of string over them and was going to attempt to get a wire coat hanger in to try and open the handle from inside. However, sounds like that won’t work either if it is indeed a deadbolt situation. I shall send my key fob to the repair place that I was given a link to within this thread and hope that will do the trick. Also, the keys definitely don’t open the boot. My old Volvo V70 definitely had a separate key.
Again, many thanks to all and I’m so sorry to appear rude by not responding earlier but I’m new to navigating this site 😕
No apology needed ! Thanks for the update, and good luck with the key fob repair. If you are successful in your efforts updating will likely help others.
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 16:41   #15
VolvoSue

I’ve had the key fob repaired but still not working 😩 Wondering if I can get the bonnet up without being able to get into the car to access bonnet lever? Check the actual car battery? I’m at a loss now 🤷*♀️
VolvoSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 19:14   #16
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

If you do a search others have posted methods of doing this:~
Awkward but it can be done apparently.

Once achieved also look for the advice on how to fit pull wires to the individual locks- just in case it happens again.
Good Luck.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 19:17   #17
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Sue

Sorry, long post.

Assuming you don't have AA or RAC cover to help you -

Were you able to tug on one of the chrome door release handles?

I believe it is possible to reach under the bonnet and release each of the two catches, but I haven't done it myself. Might be difficult if you are not familiar with the engine bay etc. Others may comment.

As far as battery, I think if you can look from below and see the starter, you should be able to see the fat red wire which is a permanent live connection direct to the battery. That should be 12v above ground (any metal part of engine gearbox or chassis).
Again, others may comment.

But if your 12v battery is healthy (and it was ok not too long ago) then it should be ok now. If it is flat then you could charge it via that fat red wire (and a ground).
But I am not sure what you would do next.

If your car is parked securely then I would be tempted to force the drivers door keyhole.
I haven't done it and others may comment.
If a small spring came out of the keyhole cover, then that lock barrel has had it, so you don't have much to lose. A new matching lock barrel would probably be expensive but you could buy and fit a used door handle + lock barrel + key. (But it would not match your existing ignition key).

Two photos attached
First shows the drivers door handle from the outside:
The keyhole leads to the lock barrel which leads to the bent rod, which pokes into a slot in the lock mechanism. If you can jam in a screwdriver and turn it (about 1/6th of a turn clockwise) by force, or drill out the whole lock barrel, then you can easily turn the slot with a screwdriver which undoes the deadlocks. Then the hook part pulls the latch release and the door opens.

I would have thought a local car locksmith would advise you about that, or at least quote for opening the car that way.

The other photo shows the side view. When the door is closed you cannot see the screws, they are covered by the edge of the door. So you cannot unscrew them and remove the door handle - sorry!

If you damage the (plastic) door handle itself, that's not a big deal (can buy a used one for not much money). But don't use a lot of force at the forward end of the door handle because it will bend the fairly thin door skin.

Hope that helps,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230323_185851089 1028 768.jpg (29.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230323_185915233 1028 768.jpg (33.6 KB, 8 views)
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green

Last edited by SteveSarre; Mar 23rd, 2023 at 19:28.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 20:03   #18
Lancee
Premier Member

As suggested, if you have AA or RAC (or other) homestart breakdown cover would it be possible to call them out, if nothing else for their professional opinion ?

You could also ask a Volvo independent garage or Volvo main dealer for their advice.

Unfortunately I feel the following will not sound very positive or reassuring but my current personal (non professional!) view is that the car is deadlocked which means that NONE of the door handles will open the car, including the inside handles. The only way to open the car door/s is with the actual car (and fob) having a charged battery and with the operation of the (now checked/repaired?) remote key fob OR the physical car key in the drivers door lock, which of course you have stated in your initial post is faulty/broken.

I personally do not think that pulling up the internal door buttons or operating the internal door handles from the outside with tape/wire or by any other method will make a jot of difference.

The deadlocking function can only be disabled by the cars electrical system, it is not possible to disable it by any physical means.

Do take my comments with a pinch of salt, I would not want to send you off in any wrong direction. I currently don't have a definitive answer for you, just a strong belief in my humble opinions ! I have previously had some experience of a similar deadlocking issue with a Volkswagen, I can therefore empathise with you and further wish you the very best of luck !

Last edited by Lancee; Mar 23rd, 2023 at 20:19.
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 20:21   #19
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I seem to recall the advice submitted by Steve i.e. battery lead to starter motor is also one that has been successful and detailed within the forum advice:~

You may have a drain on the battery and this could flatten the thing in a short space of time: My car has the same so I fitted a battery master switch until I feel like investigating further.

Worth another search:~ I would agree that the next logical action should be looking at the power of the battery and then trying the fob.
It should be straight forward also saving further damage etc.
Hope it helps.
Bob.

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Mar 23rd, 2023 at 20:28.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 20:32   #20
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi all

I am 99% sure that if you sit in the car, and someone locks the doors (and waits a few seconds for the deadlocks to engage), you can exit by pulling the chrome release levers.

Or you can test for yourself by winding the window down and locking yourself in!

So, if you can pull the chrome levers, that's the easy solution.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote