Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3 Inch exhaust

Views : 2678

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 20:18   #11
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam27 View Post
yeah i got a full "3 duplex exhaust system no boxes just strait pipes/ "3 de cat downpipe/ s60r manifold/ 19t turbo and omg its a massive gain but iv got a few more mods than your doing so it wont be as much as mine but the "3 system will make a decent gain on its own so well worth it go for it mate
bambam27 - have you taken out ALL the original boxes (incl rear)? I've not removed that as yet, as I was unsure how loud it would be and what it actually sounded like (a knackered exhaust with a hole in it sprung to mind)....

What is it like?!

Cheers
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 16:55   #12
Volvo_tom

Got my 3" dairy today at £30 bang on I thought elbows are going to be a killer as there are a few of them .
Volvo_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 12:55   #13
bambam27
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
bambam27 - have you taken out ALL the original boxes (incl rear)? I've not removed that as yet, as I was unsure how loud it would be and what it actually sounded like (a knackered exhaust with a hole in it sprung to mind)....

What is it like?!

Cheers
hello yes all the boxes are gone and cat ect only got to tiny race cans that look like a motor bike boxes on each side of the bumber as its a duplex system on mine as it was standard that way so all i did was upgrade the whole lot and sounds like a v8 when pushed hard lol but i like it like that but not all like that type of sound as it is to loud for some lol i hope this helps you out but you can leave your boxes there to keep the sound low and just have the "3 pipe all the way to it thanks
bambam27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bambam27 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 21:39   #14
Volvo_tom

Ive done it, 3 inchs straight through no box's

made this afternoon all 316 stainless, all for wait it! under £50 will need another backbox as the butchered standard one isnt up to the task. apart from that alot more pull in every gear and has made the traction issues alot worse its spread to 3rd gear in the wet

Had a good afternoon apart from the car falling off the stands and nearly on top of me

next is 14t turbo
intercooler
LC-1
electronic boost controller
cams
evo brakes
better shocks
BIGGER WIDER WHEELS WITH TOYO R888 rubber lol
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 15:42   #15
bambam27
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo_tom View Post
Ive done it, 3 inchs straight through no box's

made this afternoon all 316 stainless, all for wait it! under £50 will need another backbox as the butchered standard one isnt up to the task. apart from that alot more pull in every gear and has made the traction issues alot worse its spread to 3rd gear in the wet

Had a good afternoon apart from the car falling off the stands and nearly on top of me

next is 14t turbo
intercooler
LC-1
electronic boost controller
cams
evo brakes
better shocks
BIGGER WIDER WHEELS WITH TOYO R888 rubber lol
it looks great mate well done you will be happy with the outcome as i was with the mods i did it was like a new car much better over stock crap
bambam27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 21:03   #16
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
Depends on what you are doing - are you removing cat and putting straight pipe in place?

Biggest difference you will see is through either removing it (MOT or emissions fail), or replacing with race cat. Removing other expansion boxes aids things also. I've race cat (100 cell) and both expansion boxes removed. HUGE difference - not RR's, but it's very noticeable. And that's with standard rear box, which is very free flowing anyhow, so noise is almost unchanged.
The differnce between a standard exhaust "box" and one made for a stainless steel system is the absence of the baffles. Baffles will slow down the flow of your exhaust gases.

As a stainless system doesn't have baffles they don't slow the system down when compared to a straight through pipe but do cut a lot of the noise both outside and inside the car...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 21:42   #17
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Stainless systems do have baffles.

Sport systems in either stainless or mild steel have boxes with a stright pipe peppered with small holes and then wrapped with wadding to reduce noise but not flow. Turbos are effectivly a silencer so require less silencing than na engines so you can get away with less boxes in the system to keep noise levels sensible and legal.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:36   #18
mud

Default How?

Can I ask where I can get the pipe from, and how did you bend it please? I think it looks awesome for a home made job and I'd love to have a go at one myself!
Cheers Jim
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 18:07   #19
samuels28

well done looks great man, gave me an idea too, c70 2.0t 2003 every body wants to charge you lots for a custom full system, some people pays loads off cash for the down pipe, making it your self is genius. so i've source all the parts including decat pipe 3" on ebay about £100
samuels28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 18:07   #20
Volvo_tom

Pipe you can get from any stainless steel stockist so to are the bends, http://www.goodsteel.co.uk/ maybe for a bit of cash.

its a pretty good effort for a home jobbie but could be alot better, as i dont have the equiment at home as i do at work.

Also id recomend powerflow exhausts for box's etc as they are well built quality feel to them.

i spent £25 on pipe £15 on a clamp and £60 on a silencer and about £35 on bends.