Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Headlights - Contact Volvo

Views : 61893

Replies : 293

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2016, 15:48   #191
Cruiser King

Osram OFF-ROAD Super Bright H7 halogen headlamp bulb 64217-01B.

Running these off-road H7's. They are marked 65W but will in fact be 80W.
I have not yet tested for any loss through voltage drop but there is an improvement over the existing bulbs. A pair can be purchased for just over £20.
Cruiser King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 18:29   #192
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggly View Post
My first Volvo and my first car with zenons. They are fantastic. I live in a very rural area and do a lit of unlit lanes.
I've done a bit with VW Corrados. Their lights are pathetic which is tricky if you have a VR6 which is seriously quick.
There is a loom upgrade that people fit, costs about £60, easy to fit.
The problem with the Corrado is that the length and capacity of the wires to the headlights is such that the voltage drop by the time the current gets to the headlights is huge. The kit comprises thick wires, connectors, relays, etc, etc so the headlights pick up directly from the battery. Solves the problem.
Wonder if there is a similar problem with some Volvo models? Might be worth checking the voltage/power (I am not an auto electrician, but I hope you get my drift!) at the headlights.
Most volvo headlamp bulbs are fed with a regulated voltage of 12v now , to prolong life .
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 21:06   #193
daveyonthemove

I've been considering the use of candles instead of halogen bulbs, just to double the light output to something bright enough to attract moths.
Currently, I think they me be infra red.
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 22:35   #194
direwolf

Cool Headlamps

I used an on line video (today) on this and took lamps apart and cleaned and polished the reflectors and the projector lens.

I then put in new H7's 55W (very latest type,increased brilliance) and did one at headlamp at time.

Compared refurbed one on off side to untouched one on nearside and the difference was amazing.

Refurbed the off side one and put new Osram 5 watt side and marker light bulbs in both headlamps and well satisfied with the difference.

They were TRULY the worst headlamps of any car I have used in past 45 years, going back to Ford Anglia's...

They are only now barely satisfying and most of my driving is on Motorways and urban light roads.Prior to my "upgrade" there were times I was convinced I was driving on a country road on side lights!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 07:13   #195
raife

Can you post a link to the video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I used an on line video (today) on this and took lamps apart and cleaned and polished the reflectors and the projector lens.

I then put in new H7's 55W (very latest type,increased brilliance) and did one at headlamp at time.

Compared refurbed one on off side to untouched one on nearside and the difference was amazing.

Refurbed the off side one and put new Osram 5 watt side and marker light bulbs in both headlamps and well satisfied with the difference.

They were TRULY the worst headlamps of any car I have used in past 45 years, going back to Ford Anglia's...

They are only now barely satisfying and most of my driving is on Motorways and urban light roads.Prior to my "upgrade" there were times I was convinced I was driving on a country road on side lights!
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 14:14   #196
Leo Kalme

First result on google for "Volvo S40 Headlight Cleaning"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKKxZwm-lg

Edit: I think criticism on those headlights is strongly exaggerated. Clean your headlight projectors, polish them, change bulbs when they appear dimmer. I drive in Estonia both summer and winter and our winters are pitch-black when sun sets. Don't think they are really that bad, I see plenty of cars from same era having much worse headlights.

Last edited by Leo Kalme; Aug 17th, 2016 at 14:17.
Leo Kalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 22:36   #197
direwolf

Smile Headlamp Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by raife View Post
Can you post a link to the video?
Just the same video as the one posted below Mr Fixit IIRC.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 13:54   #198
v70stu
V60 T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Kalme View Post
First result on google for "Volvo S40 Headlight Cleaning"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKKxZwm-lg

Edit: I think criticism on those headlights is strongly exaggerated. Clean your headlight projectors, polish them, change bulbs when they appear dimmer. I drive in Estonia both summer and winter and our winters are pitch-black when sun sets. Don't think they are really that bad, I see plenty of cars from same era having much worse headlights.
I tend to agree. I think what some people confuse as brighter lights are "hot spots" in the beam patterns of other cars. Granted, our lights are not amazing with standard or cheap bulbs but with clean lenses and good quality ugrade bulbs they have a very good reach and a very even spread.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 07:36   #199
daveyonthemove

I've never owned any other car that required you to dismantle a headlight unit and clean it in order to get reasonable levels of light on the road.
Is this in the maintenance part of the manual?

I totally understand that a better headlight should make a difference, and changing a bulb is easy enough for most people. Removing integral parts of a headlight is not.
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 14:05   #200
Leo Kalme

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyonthemove View Post
I've never owned any other car that required you to dismantle a headlight unit and clean it in order to get reasonable levels of light on the road.
Is this in the maintenance part of the manual?

I totally understand that a better headlight should make a difference, and changing a bulb is easy enough for most people. Removing integral parts of a headlight is not.
Perhaps you don't understand that all headlights degrade over time, be it outer surface, projector, reflector or bulb. Or you think that some 12 years old passat or a4 headlights are better? If only.

Polishing headlights is very normal headlight maintenance and people do it for all the cars. Plastic headlights turn yellow and blurry after years.

I shouldn't but I will anyway - removing and cleaning projector lens on our cars is much easier than it is to change a bulb for many others.
Leo Kalme is offline   Reply With Quote