Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC60 Preview

Views : 20794

Replies : 267

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2017, 00:13   #191
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoy View Post
Why would you avoid the 21" wheels? Did you test drive?
Others have already replied on this. Ride quality, pothole protection, risk of kerbing, more expensive wheels, more expensive tyres, and limited choice of all-season or winter treads. I think that just about covers it. I always have a laugh when I see a 'posh SUV' (not usually a Volvo) wearing rubber band tyres. They certainly look nice, but this is prioritising fashion over the practicalities of why most people buy an SUV. If you only ever drive on smooth German autobahns then low profile tyres are probably the better choice.
I have not had a test drive. When I tested before my current car was ordered, I was careful to test the exact suspension / wheels I wanted, even down to searching out the illusive active 4C.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Jul 11th, 2017 at 00:17.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 08:19   #192
Celticxc60

Yesterday on a narrow road, driving my "old" XC60 with 18" wheels I came across a Range Rover on Rubber band tyres, the passing place was on his side of the road but gravel with holes. He refused to move over because he felt the surface would damage his wheels.
What a "Poser" and just shows how stupid people are.
We had a stand off and I refused to move. In the end after much grumbling he eventually moved over.
That beggars belief!!
Celticxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Celticxc60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 09:56   #193
Rocinante
Master Member

XC60 Polestar ?

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mod...bhp-volvo-xc60
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 12:16   #194
Considered1
Premier Member

So is this a New Polestar XC60 or a New XC60 that has had a Polestar upgrade/optimisation.

Either way its good stuff and I guess we'll be able to tell from the price!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 12:20   #195
chrisnoy

Oh well, I always like to be different, so it's 21" wheels for me and all the nice pro bits, tinted windows, shadow technology lights and multi co.oured theatre lights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisnoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 21:08   #196
Bernard F

Joining this thread has given me food for thought regarding low profile tiles. I assume I have no choice if I go for the Inscription Pro.. 20" do not worry me, had these before without ride discomfort but bobby2000 mentions the occasional need to mount the curb and potholes. Is this a serious worry or would you rather not take the chance. I do need to climb the curb on very rare occasions but can avoid if recommended.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard F For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 21:31   #197
NigelDay
Premier Member

We all try to avoid kerbing, but even the best drivers can make the occasional misjudgement.
On the issue of 'choice', there does seem to be less flexibility in the new XC60 than the old in terms of 'no cost option' downsizing in wheel size. Perhaps this will improve next year when the full model range options are rolled out (FWD / manual etc.)
Volvo have always been more sensible regarding wheel sizes. Some manufacturers force you to have low profile tyres with higher-spec models. The only choice if you want the high-spec, but not the low profile tyres, is the buy a second set of rims. An unnecessary expense.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 21:46   #198
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
Joining this thread has given me food for thought regarding low profile tiles. I assume I have no choice if I go for the Inscription Pro.. 20" do not worry me, had these before without ride discomfort but bobby2000 mentions the occasional need to mount the curb and potholes. Is this a serious worry or would you rather not take the chance. I do need to climb the curb on very rare occasions but can avoid if recommended.
Yes I think this is your only option if you want the Inscription Pro. If you were prepared to just have Inscription and spec it up with air suspension etc you can get 19" wheels but you would miss out on few things.
But save a bit of cash.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 22:48   #199
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
We all try to avoid kerbing, but even the best drivers can make the occasional misjudgement.
On the issue of 'choice', there does seem to be less flexibility in the new XC60 than the old in terms of 'no cost option' downsizing in wheel size. Perhaps this will improve next year when the full model range options are rolled out (FWD / manual etc.)
Volvo have always been more sensible regarding wheel sizes. Some manufacturers force you to have low profile tyres with higher-spec models. The only choice if you want the high-spec, but not the low profile tyres, is the buy a second set of rims. An unnecessary expense.
Will not be available as a manual
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 00:55   #200
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Will not be available as a manual
You could well be right. The height of the transmission tunnel would be a challenge. However I read somewhere that the 'manual' makes reference to the 6-speed box. Time will tell.