Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 137421

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 09:54   #201
Mike H

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi Mike H

I have had similar responses from forum members when I have posted about the XC60 s flaws. I simply got slated for expressing an opinion and received insults from others directed at me as to the type of person I may or may not be!!

regards
Fully agree Rocks!
Mike H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike H For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:41   #202
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Hi Mike H

I have had similar responses from forum members when I have posted about the XC60 s flaws. I simply got slated for expressing an opinion and received insults from others directed at me as to the type of person I may or may not be!!

regards

a wise man once said to me, it's not what you say, it's the way that you say it... or was that bananarama? this is especially true when broaching a subject which could be controversial. whilst i don't agree in the slightest with personal attacks, one leaves oneself open to them if they attack something close to others hearts without a hint of diplomacy. also, one must be clear when identifying true flaws (ecu bugs, mechanical problems, etc) vs subjective perceived functional deficiencies.
82 Metro 1.0

Last edited by darbs; Sep 2nd, 2011 at 20:43.
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 13:32   #203
XC60MY12
Country Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
That sort of comment makes me think I've joined the wrong forum! I thought this was meant to be for serious discussions about Volvos?
A sense of humour and a balanced outlook help. I find having chips on both shoulders keeps me nicely balanced
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 14:21   #204
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Fan View Post
A sense of humour and a balanced outlook help. I find having chips on both shoulders keeps me nicely balanced
lol, well put. I think some peeps are probably a we bit too sensitive on some forums.
As they say........... life is too short.
The Following User Says Thank You to r-designbob For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 12:06   #205
MikeAP

Had my XC60 D5 Auto SE Lux Premium (kitted up) for a few weeks now.
Just a couple of issues ~
1. Fuel MPG at the moment is horrendous but not concerned as I've only covered 300miles (yes, 300 in 3 weeks... long story) so it will no doubt improve over time.
2. BURNING SMELL.... Noticed this for the first time this morning.
It's coming from the front so I've ruled out a sticking hand-brake.
At first I thought it may have been the DPF regeneration cycle with the Particle Filter Regeneration burning off access diesel but again the smell is more prominent at the front.
It could be the front near-side brake sticking. I'll be ringing the dealers first thing tomorrow to see what they have to say about it.

Overall though I'm very happy with the D5. It's quick, quiet and serves my wife well.
Space in the back is not as generous as our previous vehicle (Honda CR-V Ex) but with only the Granddaughter to keep the back seats company I'm not to bothered.... and it does mean the boot is gargantuan...
MikeAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 22:40   #206
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
a wise man once said to me, it's not what you say, it's the way that you say it... or was that bananarama? this is especially true when broaching a subject which could be controversial. whilst i don't agree in the slightest with personal attacks, one leaves oneself open to them if they attack something close to others hearts without a hint of diplomacy. also, one must be clear when identifying true flaws (ecu bugs, mechanical problems, etc) vs subjective perceived functional deficiencies.
Hi Darbs.

Very true is "not what you say but how you say it"

Would not consider that expressing an opinion on faults / flaws / issues with a car is controversial....!!!!!!!

Would not consider that by stating or expressing an opinion on faults / flaws / issues with a car that one personally owns is "attacking something close to others hearts without a hint of diplomacy" although any response thereto should definitely be considered in the context "not what you say but how you say it"....and said with diplomacy!!

If one stated " my son is very naughty and Im fed up with his behaviour I wish I could change it" why would this be perceived controversial or upsetting to someone else that has a son??????...!!!!!

What is a flaw? A weakness... lots of meanings here

All the best , hope you had a great weekend
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 22:56   #207
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
lol, well put. I think some peeps are probably a we bit too sensitive on some forums.
As they say........... life is too short.
Hi R Design Bob

Yep a sense of humour is a must to have and yep certain peeps amongst us may be sensitive!!

Thus having this knowledge to hand that others may be sensitive it is never a really good idea to crack certain jokes or comments regarding inherent personalities in case the person on the receiving end of the jokes or comments simply has a different sense of humour thus finding said joke or comment an insult!! - especially when its a comment directly about the person.

I myself am not so much insulted or upset with people that make crass comments without considering anothers feelings simply saddened that people are actually prepared to do it
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 23:05   #208
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAP View Post
Had my XC60 D5 Auto SE Lux Premium (kitted up) for a few weeks now.
Just a couple of issues ~
1. Fuel MPG at the moment is horrendous but not concerned as I've only covered 300miles (yes, 300 in 3 weeks... long story) so it will no doubt improve over time.
2. BURNING SMELL.... Noticed this for the first time this morning.
It's coming from the front so I've ruled out a sticking hand-brake.
At first I thought it may have been the DPF regeneration cycle with the Particle Filter Regeneration burning off access diesel but again the smell is more prominent at the front.
It could be the front near-side brake sticking. I'll be ringing the dealers first thing tomorrow to see what they have to say about it.

Overall though I'm very happy with the D5. It's quick, quiet and serves my wife well.
Space in the back is not as generous as our previous vehicle (Honda CR-V Ex) but with only the Granddaughter to keep the back seats company I'm not to bothered.... and it does mean the boot is gargantuan...
Hi Mike

What MPG are you getting?

A burning smell can be caused as the car is burning off its new sealant or as you say a sticking caliper (could explain your poor mpg?). Also if you have a faulty oxygen sensor it could make the cat hot and cause a burning smell. I had something like this once.

regards
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 07:02   #209
MikeAP

Quote:
Hi Mike

What MPG are you getting?

A burning smell can be caused as the car is burning off its new sealant or as you say a sticking caliper (could explain your poor mpg?). Also if you have a faulty oxygen sensor it could make the cat hot and cause a burning smell. I had something like this once.

regards
Hello there again volvorocks,
Thanks for reminding me... Your post prompted me I needed to come back with the answer.

I rang the dealer as I said I would.... Their answer "Ring Volvo Assistance and get them to come look at it".
Annoyed at their lack of interest with the 'pass-the-buck' attitude I thought okay, I'll play your game and if VA say anything I'll simply tell them it wasn't me, I was told to ring you.

VA sent a chap round who arrived 3hrs later. He had a look over the vehicle, took it out for half-an-hour to get some heat build up and when he arrived back he told me straight.
"It's the factory sealant". Nothing has been steam cleaned from the undertray.

Annoyed, I got back to the dealer.... Another lazy answer, "I'll sort it out for you to bring it in".... That was a week ago and not heard a peep since.

The burning smell has since stopped, so any sealant near the exhaust has been burned off.

It's the principle I'm annoyed at. Yet again the dealer can not be bothered.
It's been one thing after another with this dealer.
To be truthful, I just can not be bothered chasing up this dealer any further. It will only end up in more frustration.
I'll definitely get another Volvo but it won't be coming from Autoworld.

Re the fuel ~ at the moment 28mpg..... but that should improve.
MikeAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 10:56   #210
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAP View Post
Hello there again volvorocks,
Thanks for reminding me... Your post prompted me I needed to come back with the answer.

I rang the dealer as I said I would.... Their answer "Ring Volvo Assistance and get them to come look at it".
Annoyed at their lack of interest with the 'pass-the-buck' attitude I thought okay, I'll play your game and if VA say anything I'll simply tell them it wasn't me, I was told to ring you.

VA sent a chap round who arrived 3hrs later. He had a look over the vehicle, took it out for half-an-hour to get some heat build up and when he arrived back he told me straight.
"It's the factory sealant". Nothing has been steam cleaned from the undertray.

Annoyed, I got back to the dealer.... Another lazy answer, "I'll sort it out for you to bring it in".... That was a week ago and not heard a peep since.

The burning smell has since stopped, so any sealant near the exhaust has been burned off.

It's the principle I'm annoyed at. Yet again the dealer can not be bothered.
It's been one thing after another with this dealer.
To be truthful, I just can not be bothered chasing up this dealer any further. It will only end up in more frustration.
I'll definitely get another Volvo but it won't be coming from Autoworld.

Re the fuel ~ at the moment 28mpg..... but that should improve.
Hi Mike

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your XC60 ,Volvo Assistance and your local Volvo Dealership. (crikes I sound like a customer services "speciality fobbing off department" with this opening line!!)

You seemed to have had many and varied lengthy issues with your supplying dealer prior to purchase if my memory serves me correct?

That brings me to the post about dreadful dealers not being interested where I did and still do stand by the assertion that if one receives shoddy service before a purchase it is likely to continue afterwards.

One of the worst pre sales service was when a pal was interested in a Fiat and they wouldnt even provide a test drive without prior written commitment!!!!

Yes I am very suprised in todays business world that no-one seems to want to get back to a prospective customer before or during a purchase and even less so after purchase. I do believe that first impressions count when first dealing with a sales person and one should use this gut instinct as an indication.

I fully understand your frustration and its a shame as poor aftersales (and pre-sales for that matter) always seems to take away the shine and excitement of a new purchase.

What are you going to do now? Have you another dealer in mind?

Regarding 28mpg that seems about right and may get better - is this an average of motorway and town?

I find a lot of very short stop start journeys hammers the XC fuel consumption (more so than any other make I personally have experienced).

Please do keep us posted about any issues you have.

Regards