Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 2011 Volvo Specifications

Views : 52547

Replies : 325

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 16:40   #201
Daleman
Master Member

Default Your Right! but its still v good car and will sell anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
It really sounds like Volvo is commiting suicide in the UK.

Fortunatly I want an XC90 D5 anyway, but if I was after an XC60 I think I would walk away.
I agree they seem to have brought in the 2 litre D3 pointlessly to distance the two wheel drive spec from the four wheel drive D5 spec with the obviously more powerful engine .A marketing ploy that up spends customers who want power.

As it was with the 2.4 DrivE the customer was getting the best of both worlds and perhaps they think we cant have that!

Now with a load of orders for 2.4 drivEs in the pipeline they are going to shuffle people onto the feeble 2 litre D3 with no apparent economy gains ,crazy .What if you have paid a deposit and are expecting a 2.4 ?

Tough I reckon take it or leave it!
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 17:24   #202
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
..............the feeble 2 litre D3........
This is not necessarily true. The D3 2.0 as fitted in the new S60 produces its full power at only 3000 rpm and its full torque at only 1380 rpm. At these revs it appears to produce more power & torque than the 2.4D that it replaces. It is only when you rev higher that the bigger engine apparantly gains. In a diesel you spend the vast majority of your time at lower revs.

Being shorter stroke the 2.0 D3 might also be a smoother more willing engine.

The only downsides that I can see are:

1. smaller engines produce less torque at very low revs before the turbo gets going but the very low revs for maximum torque suggests that this may not be a problem and

2. The bigger short term problem is that we all know & like the 2.4 litre engine & we are all a bit concerned about the 2 litre not being as good. Unfortunately there will not be one to try until ay least June which is too late for those with orders or thinking of ordering now.

After June we may be saying the 2.0 D3 is the better engine but at the moment we have no way of knowing. Uncertainy is most definitely frightening when spending £25000-£30000+ of your own money!

As an aside isn't it typical that the French & German catalogues are out but there is no sign of ours. Volvo UK seem to produce new lists quarterly which means 1st April - April fools day - & I guess that they might be sticking to that schedule.

Last edited by ChrisE; Mar 26th, 2010 at 17:26.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 19:03   #203
Teejay1
Master Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
This is not necessarily true. The D3 2.0 as fitted in the new S60 produces its full power at only 3000 rpm and its full torque at only 1380 rpm. At these revs it appears to produce more power & torque than the 2.4D that it replaces. It is only when you rev higher that the bigger engine apparantly gains. In a diesel you spend the vast majority of your time at lower revs.

1. smaller engines produce less torque at very low revs before the turbo gets going but the very low revs for maximum torque suggests that this may not be a problem and

2. The bigger short term problem is that we all know & like the 2.4 litre engine & we are all a bit concerned about the 2 litre not being as good. Unfortunately there will not be one to try until ay least June which is too late for those with orders or thinking of ordering now.

After June we may be saying the 2.0 D3 is the better engine but at the moment we have no way of knowing. Uncertainy is most definitely frightening when spending £25000-£30000+ of your own money!

As an aside isn't it typical that the French & German catalogues are out but there is no sign of ours. Volvo UK seem to produce new lists quarterly which means 1st April - April fools day - & I guess that they might be sticking to that schedule.
Hey, I like it, your glass is definitely half full, I only hope that you are correct
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 19:56   #204
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:

I couldn't agree any more and I don't think the new D3 2.0 5 cyl will be a bad engine. I think the problem is that peoples perception is at fault. A 2 litre engine sounds way to small in such a big heavy car like the XC60.

Personally, I would have liked a 3 litre diesel (pref the 3.0 from ex brother Jaguar), but as Volvo (still) does not make or sell one, a 2.4 with 5 cyl will have to do (or look elsewhere) for now.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 20:35   #205
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Isn't the similar-sized and close rival Q5 powered by a 2.0 engine?
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 20:36   #206
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
I couldn't agree any more and I don't think the new D3 2.0 5 cyl will be a bad engine. I think the problem is that peoples perception is at fault. A 2 litre engine sounds way to small in such a big heavy car like the XC60.

Personally, I would have liked a 3 litre diesel (pref the 3.0 from ex brother Jaguar), but as Volvo (still) does not make or sell one, a 2.4 with 5 cyl will have to do (or look elsewhere) for now.
So are you saying that you think its going to be a good engine?
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 20:53   #207
Daleman
Master Member

Default Hope your right

Quote:

I do hope your right and the new 2 litre D3 is a belter of an engine and acclaimed by the motoring press and owners alike as such.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 21:50   #208
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
So are you saying that you think its going to be a good engine?

What I was trying to say was that I don't think it would be right to only look at the 2 litre thing until we know for sure how it will do in tests etc.

As pointed out before, the torque comes in really early (obviously a great point for towing) so Yes, I do think it could be alot better than we all think.

I also think the "new" T6 will be a blast!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 22:36   #209
XC60nick

I'd certainly be very interested in a 3.0 tdi v6 engine, but the trend nowadays is less is more so not holding my breathe....

I have been looking at the videos on the volvo website that shows off the new s60 pedestrian detection, any word on this being brought across onto the xc60? seems strange that our cars stop for other cars but not for two dummies walking their plastic dogs...

Also i really want the new my2011 cars to have the central screen display like the s60, i'm not a fan of the seperate 'pod' screen on top of the dash, with a single screen, it would be more like my old Q7. Anyone know how you navigate the menus on the s60? is it a wheel / button like in Audi / BMWs or maybe the wheel mounted 'joystick' that does for the current satnav?
XC60nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 22:40   #210
XC60nick

Regards to the Q5 2.0tdi, it appears to be only 143bhp, seems a little on the low side, although they do also put their 3.0tdi in the Q5, bet that goes well with its 240bhp. I do not know, but my perception is the Q5 is a smaller car than the xc60?
XC60nick is offline   Reply With Quote