Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mullingar - 21/11/2009 - ***Updated with Hotel Info***

Views : 16373

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Change of date: Please select your prefered option
7th November 2 16.67%
14th November 3 25.00%
21th November 6 50.00%
28th November 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 24th, 2009, 11:47   #201
carl4u44
Master Member

heres a few more photos!

Last edited by carl4u44; Nov 24th, 2009 at 11:51.
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carl4u44 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 12:20   #202
MoCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCam View Post
Hello all.

It was great to see so many Volvos in Mullingar yesterday. Really sorry that some of you who wanted to come along could not make it, but I totally understand how difficult it could have been for you, given the extreme weather we have been having in recent days, the flood situation that prevailed and the distance involved. Big thanks to you and everyone who actually made it along for the collective input and enthusiasm which helped make it happen.

After a really wet drive down from the north, we arrived to a brief few hours of brighness and even some sunshine. All in all, there were 10 Volvos. 9 at Anne Brook House Hotel in Mullingar, where we met for lunch, plus one more completely by fluke after we drove on out to Belvedere House (some of us via the scenic route and a wrong stately house!).

Belvedere was heaving due to a "Food and Design" fair taking place there, and we were parked all over the place. But we asked around and were directed to an overlow carpark nearer the entrance which suited us well. With the light failing fast, I took several shots of the cars and today patched the interesting bits together into a collage, which so far I have been unable to upload (getting a "not a valid image file" message). Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I know there were several others photos taken which we will maybe see copies of in due course.

Anyhow, I thoroughly enjoyed my day out. It was great meeting you all, seeing your cars, having some good craic and a bit of banter. Hopefully you all made it home safely and maybe we'll get to meet up again in the future.

Cheers,
Mo.
Hopefully the image uploaded this time!

Cheers,
Mo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belvedere_collage_20091121.jpg (297.9 KB, 32 views)
MoCam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MoCam For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 12:47   #203
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I like I like

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 14:37   #204
Sundsvallsam
Volvo Owners Club Member

Default I was there . . . sortof!

Ok, first I will admit I did not read all the posts to this thread since October. Nonetheless, this is what happened.

I put it in the diary for Saturday the 21st November. So far, so good. I logged on Friday evening 20th to check the meet was going ahead (given the Noah's ark conditions), and to get a few mobile numbers. I didn't actually cut and paste and details at this stage, because I was going to see how the weather unfolded, and decide on Saturday morning.

Saturday morning looked like clearing a bit, telephoned friend in Mullingar to see if town flooded, all looking good. Logged on to Volvoclub.org to check the details . . . site down, that's when it all started to go wrong, your Honour! However, I vaguely remembered the arrangement, Greville Arms Hotel, 2pm ish, and so on. Waited for the rain to stop, Missus and kids into the old car, off to Mullingar. 10km east of Mullingar passed a Citroen C5 on fire on on the M4. Grey smoke filled our car (rudimentary 1970's ventilation system!), and the burning smell occupied the cabin. Reassured Missus and kids that newish Citroen on fire not an unusual scenario, and we carried on. Arrived Greville Arms Hotel carpark at 3.15pm. Spookily, no other Volvos. Out of the car for refreshments and to see if Hotel Reception had any idea where you all got to. As leaving the carpark, got a hunch that the burning smell had not gone away. Popped the bonnet purely as unnecessary precaution and . . . newish monster Bosch battery fizzing, smoking, and bulging. Decided shaggit, one of you guys will know the best remedy, and went for the refreshments. As darkness fell, had second thoughts about being stranded in Mullingar, and expected at cousin's 40th birthday later. Found a motor factors ("closing in 20 minutes, Pal"), called the AA. Gary, an english mechanic, turned up pretty quickly, all things considered. Long diagnosis, rediagnosis process followed. Alternator definitely overcharging the battery (though passed the test with flying colours first two attempts!). Too dangrous to drive, got to leave it in Mullingar for until Monday. Kids now getting tired, Missus re-evaluating long lasting tolerance of my 'old car fetish'. Persuaded Gary I HAVE to drive it. Disconnected alternator, installed new battery, kids buckled in, drove back to Dublin in pitch dark with sidelights only, no heater, no wipers . . . Probably passed the flippin Annebrooke Hotel (looks fab!) on the way.

So, very sorry I missed you all. Glad you had a good weekend. Maybe some other time? (if allowed to keep the Volvo!), regards, Barry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0816.jpg (222.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0817.jpg (213.8 KB, 21 views)
Sundsvallsam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundsvallsam For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 21:47   #205
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

And there's me had a tool box and everything with me Will defo be other meets, shame you didn't have a contact number of even spotted us, at that time we were at Belvedere House, would have loved to see that Volvo too, she looks great in the pic's.
Do I have you on the mailing list??

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Nov 26th, 2009 at 22:32.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 22:41   #206
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundsvallsam View Post
So, very sorry I missed you all. Glad you had a good weekend. Maybe some other time? (if allowed to keep the Volvo!), regards, Barry.
I too had a tool kit with me That's a pitty we didn't meet up. It would have been great to see your car on the day. Glad ye made it back to Dublin safely.

Always next time

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 22:06   #207
mickaleen59

Seems like things turned out better than I thought they would
so sorry now I couldn't make it. Maybe I should have taken a
chance to try and wade through the floods or maybe not eh! lol

So any plans for future meets or whatever?
mickaleen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:06   #208
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I had this idea....
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=84766

Although quite expensive, but as the time get closer hopefully something better / closer / cheaper will come up. I'm also toying with the idea of a monthly or fortmonthly meet at Ikea, similar idea to what DarrenK is doing over in Canada.

Old Dec 8th, 2009, 11:16   #209
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickaleen59 View Post
Seems like things turned out better than I thought they would
so sorry now I couldn't make it. Maybe I should have taken a
chance to try and wade through the floods or maybe not eh! lol

So any plans for future meets or whatever?
Hi Mickaleen,

I'm arranging another get - together soon, more in line with what I originally suggested ( a bit of a brainstorming session re: future meets + meet ). I will be posting details in the near future.

Regards,

Tony.
Old May 18th, 2010, 00:36   #210
silverback02
Premier Member

Hi guys,
Sorry me and the missis missed this years Mullingar. We enjoyed the 2007 one (Even if I did get a Black eye from the headboard in the hotel that time ..lol.) Glad it all went well, sounds even wetter than our Galway trip in 2008.
Anyway we will try and get to other meets with my new toy, and meet lots of new peeps.
Joe & Sharon.
RTI CD. SC901 Prem sound sys. Strut Brace
silverback02 is offline   Reply With Quote