Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CLONKING/KNOCKING when accelerating, or taking of

Views : 82970

Replies : 238

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2012, 22:59   #221
gjuk

Quote:
I gave my present ones a slight tweak to tighten them up and for a few miles my clunking had disappeared but soon returned,
Did you find yours flapping around in there, or were they 'tight' and you just tweaked them up even more?

Thanks,

J
gjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 23:33   #222
daddypruds68

I just bought mine off Fleabay, yes they were a little dearer, but not as expensive as the main stealer!! Car has been no bother since!! Apart from loosing flippin hydraulic fluid... oh the joys of volvo life :0
daddypruds68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 23:53   #223
2003bhoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjuk View Post
Did you find yours flapping around in there, or were they 'tight' and you just tweaked them up even more?

Thanks,

J
They were in situ but looser than they should be. I torqued them up to 50nm as with them already being loose i thought the 35nm and 90 deg would be a waste of time.
2003bhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 13:42   #224
sjroshan

I have the exact issue for the past 4 months and have told the dealer to look into but unable to pick up. I had also changed the lower control arm bushes (replaced the complete arm) and the top engine mount last week but still continue to hear this noise specially noticeable when taking off and increases with acceleration.

I've got a XC90 T6 2.9 Petrol which is regularly serviced and maintained by the main dealer.

Any recommendation in identifying this issue?
sjroshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 13:48   #225
XC90 V8
V8 Member

Subframe bushes, lower engine mounts or front spring top mounts. These are the things I would check.
XC90 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 14:00   #226
Nick0

I was told that it was simply play in the AWD system, and that if you got under the car and wiggle the prop shaft it would all become clear.
Apparently the cars (well the S60Rs anyway) were like this when brand new!
Nick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 11:50   #227
Fibre
Maurice

Just as a point of interest. My bolts have been changed over a year now. There has been NO return to the dreaded "CLUNK KLICK" every trip.

My independent garage has photocopied the pics of the bolts, got the numbers of the parts, and now regularly tells any clients of the previous results.

If the clients then wish he will do the work with a disclaimer, you can't really bame him for that.
At least he is doing the work. He tells me he has never had a "come back" - in a bad way that is....

I would wonder why that Volvo - if they follow these sort of customer forums- have not investigated or come to any conclusions. I wonder if they have been informed?
Could it be that if they found somthing at fault they may have to instigate a product recall - with all that costs.

Probably - they may think - leave it to the customers to pick up the individual costs.

I would only hope that the "CLICK CLUNK" is not a deeper more hidden fault, that we are just skating over.
Maurice
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 17:11   #228
atco

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibre View Post
Just as a point of interest. My bolts have been changed over a year now. There has been NO return to the dreaded "CLUNK KLICK" every trip.

My independent garage has photocopied the pics of the bolts, got the numbers of the parts, and now regularly tells any clients of the previous results.

If the clients then wish he will do the work with a disclaimer, you can't really bame him for that.
At least he is doing the work. He tells me he has never had a "come back" - in a bad way that is....

I would wonder why that Volvo - if they follow these sort of customer forums- have not investigated or come to any conclusions. I wonder if they have been informed?
Could it be that if they found somthing at fault they may have to instigate a product recall - with all that costs.

Probably - they may think - leave it to the customers to pick up the individual costs.

I would only hope that the "CLICK CLUNK" is not a deeper more hidden fault, that we are just skating over.
Maurice
mine have got the same clicking noise on take of .all tho its a diesel.and cant quite here it on driving of its def there.so i tryed to tighten the two bolts up to see if they were loose but lo and be hold they were solid and tight so where to go now
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 08:58   #229
htomi

Just bumping up this old topic. I'v got my XC90 bolts for my S60, 2 days ago from the local dealer, however the new ones are shorter than the older ones. I've been told there was a change - back in whichever year - and now these shorter bolts are fitted to the XC90.
Just wondering will the new shorter ones do the job or not? Any suggestions are welcome!
htomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 12:34   #230
DT19
Master Member

I've got this clunking noise on my S60 and I called my local Volvo dealer with the part number but he told me it has been replaced by a new version.
I got part number 30640878 but it doesn't have the rubber washer on, apparently the rubber washer isn't available anymore, either on it's own or with a bolt.

Any ideas where I can get a couple from or is there another fix now?
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote