Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Been sold a lemon

Views : 19080

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 23:01   #221
brodgar
I've Been Banned

hello nicholas,

thank you for coming back to your postings and keeping us informed,
despite the barrage of critic you received
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 23:03   #222
nicholasjgroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
This is down purely and simply to 'buyers remorse' , that well known fact of folk buying things and when they get home have changed thier mind !
As regards folk telling him to sell it on....... doesn't that then make HIM exactly (or worse ) the kind of oerson he is accusing the dealer of being ???
Rust unders sill covers cant be seen, rest of mechanical problems should have been seen by BUYER and if not then problems belong to him.
No sympathy for him whatsoever, but if he passes this car on WITHOUT pointing out all these 'faults', then HE is comitting a fraudulent act as he now knows about them and has the legal obligation to notify the prospective buyer about them. I think he has had the little devil of 'friends' sitting on his shoulder whispering in his ear..... Grimmar Wormtongue springs to mind! ?9Lord of the Rings for those who don't know )
Personally I think he should grow a pair and just get on with it and enjoy it................................................ ...or buy a brand spanking new one that has just come out the factory gate !!!!!!
i like how you assume that i'd sell on a car and not tell anyone about the problems it has, my clio sold for so little because i listed two pages of faults it had.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nicholasjgroom For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:56   #223
banksy66
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy66 View Post
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TAKE THE CAR BACK

Either you are rejecting it, or you aren't. If you are rejecting it, it stays with the dealer. If you take it back, it could be deemed that you have accepted his solution to the problem. I will say this again, just to make sure you fully understand

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, TAKE THE CAR BACK
Ring any bells?

Save yourself a lot of time and money nicholasjgroom, don't bother going anywhere near a Court with this claim, you will lose:

1 - The Sale of Goods Act says you should reject the goods within a "reasonable period of time". Your original post said you bought the car "a couple of weeks before Xmas" - approx 6 weeks ago, yet you still have the car in your possession and you still haven't rejected it. YOU HAVE NOT REJECTED THE CAR WITHIN A REASONABLE PERIOD OF TIME. A Judge will see how many times you have been back/communicated with the dealer and ask the obvious question - WHY DID YOU NOT FORMALLY REJECT THE CAR WHEN YOU HAD CHANCE TO DO SO ON THESE OCCASSIONS? You cannot possibly have rejected the car if you took it back. The Judge will then reject your claim

2- Both the dealer's report and your own investigations at a dealer indicate the corrosion is not structural and should, effectively, be regarded as cosmetic damage, commensurate with the age of the car. It's 11 years old and made of steel, it is not unreasonable to expect an 11 year old car to have non structural corrosion present. Indeed, legislation makes it clear that any area which could reasonably have been seen BEFORE sale cannot be used as a reason the reject a car. Corrosion on a wheelarch should have been spotted by you - if you missed it then that's down to your mistake, not the Dealer's

3 - One of my early replies said "it is unreasonable to assume a £1300 car will be as good as a £13000 car". From your posts, you seem to expect the car you bought to be as good as new - it is only reasonable to expect a car to be as good as new WHEN IT'S NEW, that's why new cars cost more than £1300

4- You have mentioned a fault with the VVT/cambelt but not expanded on the description as far as I can see. Are you telling us you think you can reject the car because it's due a cambelt change? This as a service item and any Court will REJECT YOUR CLAIM FOR THIS

5 - If a number plate is still legible, it will still pass an MOT. Either way, a defective number plate is not sufficient reason to reject a car

6- Rear wipers are not part of an MOT test nor are they a measure of a car's roadworthiness. A defective rear wiper is not sufficient reason to reject a car as any Court will tell you

7- I seem to recall the Dealer has offered to replace the sill and repair the wiper. Is this right? If so, let him do it. Probably the best you could hope for is the Judge says that is a good resolution to the matter and let the matter rest at that.

Apologies if this post seems a little abrupt. Please remember the above is not a random opinion as such - it is based on my experience in Small Claims Court on matters exactly like yours when I worked for a car finance company. Any abruptness to my post is because you have had so much good advice from the forum, none of which you have taken (hence my "banging head against the wall" icon a few posts ago)

When people ask “What the hell were you thinking?” I reply "Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain myself".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to banksy66 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 13:41   #224
Simeyb
SimeyB

I have to say that your last post is the most disappointing. A Volvo dealer will be, I suspect, less than interested in surveying the car or giving an opinion on it - why would they, for no payment (can't think of anything on their menu that would cover this) and put themselves at risk of the selling dealer taking action if the Volvo report is OTT. As for selling it to recover the money you've spent, why not just get the repairs done and enjoy it for the reasons you thought you would when you first bought it - if you do sell it on, I would suggest its not to recover some of your money, as you have a car in return for the money you spent with a report that suggests it was pretty good - in future, I would recommend, as have others, that you either take a mate who knows cars to look at it, don't jump in the first car you see, and don't expect a car of that age and mileage to be in concourse condition - there's a reason new cars are called new!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Simeyb For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 14:40   #225
andy_d
Premier Member

ive found the Ideal solution

Quote:
This message is hidden because nicholasjgroom is on your ignore list.
amazingly the whole issue is now sorted.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 14:43   #226
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

God knows what he will bring home if he goes the fruit and veg shop
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 14:48   #227
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
ive found the Ideal solution

amazingly the whole issue is now sorted.
ROFPMSL here Andy ..................CLASSIC!!!!!
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 14:56   #228
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
ROFPMSL here Andy ..................CLASSIC!!!!!
please, dont expect any more from me,, im limited to 1 good idea a month,,,
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 15:04   #229
Rick Barton
Master Member

deleted

Last edited by Rick Barton; Jan 24th, 2012 at 15:21. Reason: not wishing to contribute, even light-heartedly.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 15:19   #230
Master Member

Can I gently say I'm ashamed of you guys and your response to someone who came here for advice
The Following User Says Thank You to 961 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread