Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical problem 940

Views : 16344

Replies : 314

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2020, 11:49   #231
TonyS9
Premier Member

What is Alternator voltage with lights on?

Review questions

1. Have you established if it is spark or fuel related, can you check spark at plug with light indicator while engine is running?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBtzk-dGYM

2. There are reference in the thread to white and black spark plugs, which is correct?

3. Did you measure fuel pressure?

4. Did you try an injector comparison test ?
Unplug each injector, 1 at a time while the engine is running and see if each one makes the same difference in roughness. If it makes no or less difference than the others, that injector is a problem.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 12:25   #232
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
What is Alternator voltage with lights on?
14,4v
Review questions

1. Have you established if it is spark or fuel related, can you check spark at plug with light indicator while engine is running?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBtzk-dGYM

2. There are reference in the thread to white and black spark plugs, which is correct?

3. Did you measure fuel pressure?

4. Did you try an injector comparison test ?
Unplug each injector, 1 at a time while the engine is running and see if each one makes the same difference in roughness. If it makes no or less difference than the others, that injector is a problem.
14,4v

I don’t have spark plug indicator light! Is there any other way or do I have to get one? I have checked spark at plugs and they produce blue/purple spark.
But I haven’t tools to check spark at plugs.

Spark plugs are black and sooty on idle. Above 3000rpm the plugs are white. I have checked after 30 min driving above 3000rpm. And on idle for 30 min while holding gas pedal so the engine doesn't stall.

I measured fuel pressure some months ago. I don’t have tools to check fuel pressure right now. But if I remember correctly. It was 2,5-3.0bar

Unplugging each injector one at a time does indeed change in performance. It doesn’t stall when I unplug one at a time. It can run with two injectors unplugged.

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 10th, 2020 at 12:37.
Ammorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 13:00   #233
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Ammo - have you, or a previous owner, removed the inlet manifoldat any point in time? Was a new gasket used on refitting? Also have you checked the manifold securing nuts are tight?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 13:07   #234
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Ammo - have you, or a previous owner, removed the inlet manifoldat any point in time? Was a new gasket used on refitting? Also have you checked the manifold securing nuts are tight?
I have changed the inlet manifold gasket just to be sure it wasn’t bad. Nuts are tight.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 13:50   #235
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorack View Post
I have changed the inlet manifold gasket just to be sure it wasn’t bad. Nuts are tight.
Check them again to make sure.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 13:56   #236
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
14,4v

I don’t have spark plug indicator light! Is there any other way or do I have to get one? I have checked spark at plugs and they produce blue/purple spark.
But I haven’t tools to check spark at plugs.

Spark plugs are black and sooty on idle. Above 3000rpm the plugs are white. I have checked after 30 min driving above 3000rpm. And on idle for 30 min while holding gas pedal so the engine doesn't stall.

I measured fuel pressure some months ago. I don’t have tools to check fuel pressure right now. But if I remember correctly. It was 2,5-3.0bar

Unplugging each injector one at a time does indeed change in performance. It doesn’t stall when I unplug one at a time. It can run with two injectors unplugged.
Spark plug lights are a cheap tool for eliminating spark issues almost completely. A set of 4 put on the plugs and the engine run will allow you to monitor the sparks in all rpms and during fault condition.

The unplugging of injectors is meant to have a roughness, the point is to compare how rough the engine is for each injector you disconnect. You also need to check the fault condition.

Maybe you could put a video on youtube of the engine idling roughly or limiting on the rpms? Is rpms still limited?

The indications to me are a weak mixture, and roughness-stalling can be a missing injector or low fuel pressure. You maybe need to measure or log these dynamically or during the fault condition.

Going back to the error code, are you still getting this? You mentioned 212 Heated O2 missing or faulty. This is different to weak/rich at the wrong time., you only got this code? Seems there is something wrong with the wiring there, but I'm not exactly sure of the meaning of the code either.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 14:07   #237
Ammorack

Quote:
Spark plug lights are a cheap tool for eliminating spark issues almost completely. A set of 4 put on the plugs and the engine run will allow you to monitor the sparks in all rpms and during fault condition.

The unplugging of injectors is meant to have a roughness, the point is to compare how rough the engine is for each injector you disconnect. You also need to check the fault condition.

Maybe you could put a video on youtube of the engine idling roughly or limiting on the rpms? Is rpms still limited?

The indications to me are a weak mixture, and roughness-stalling can be a missing injector or low fuel pressure. You maybe need to measure or log these dynamically or during the fault condition.

Going back to the error code, are you still getting this? You mentioned 212 Heated O2 missing or faulty. This is different to weak/rich at the wrong time., you only got this code? Seems there is something wrong with the wiring there, but I'm not exactly sure of the meaning of the code either.
I only got this code for missing o2 signal faulty or missing. Makes no sense. I can indeed post a video today
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 14:10   #238
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

The indications to me are a weak mixture, and roughness-stalling can be a missing injector or low fuel pressure.
It could well be that Tony, the brake servo hose etc hasn't been checked AFAIK.

Old Apr 10th, 2020, 14:17   #239
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I only got this code for missing o2 signal faulty or missing. Makes no sense. I can indeed post a video today
That can be cause by an air leak into the inlet manifold. The ECU detects a lean mixtuer and adjusts the fueling accordingly (makes it richer) but the Lambda sensor is still reporting a weak mixture from the air leak so the ECU richens the mixture further but because of the air leak, the Lambda still doesn't register a change and this keeps happening until the ECU determines the Lambda sensor isn't responding as it should and must therefore be faulty.

Can you post a photo of the engine to include the MAF and inlet manifold, a couple of close ups of each end of the hose between MAF and throttle body, top and bottom of the inlet manifold to cover all areas of both and also the brake servo hose.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 15:15   #240
taiwan740

Quote:
The indications to me are a weak mixture, and roughness-stalling can be a missing injector or low fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure regulator perhaps? if the diaphragm has failed usually that causes fairly consistent rich-running though as far as i know.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:

Tags
electricity, issues