Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2038698

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2021, 10:23   #2461
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The 5-speedbox fitted to VX490s had a direct 5th, as do some older BMW 5-series cars - the shift pattern has 1st opposite reverse so you're dog-legging to get second gear; the reasoning was to give a "sporting" feel whereas the conventional 5-speed pattern BMW used offered a touring (i.e. over-driven) 5th, with the out-on-a-limb ratio normally not required.

My preference is for the M47 over the M90 - sacrilege to many but I prefer the former's feel and pattern.

Loki.

Please which is and are the M90 and the M47?

But sorry please don't expect me to remember ...

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 10:26   #2462
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Exactly Dave, a short jumper from wherever I find a nearby switched live will be fine (reverse switch input should do fine). I think that is that engineering problem solved.
Always good when only a tiny mod is needed to existing wiring to make things work!

Just had a look at the 1980 and 1985 wiring diagrams - the 1980 only shows the auto without overdrive, the 1985 shows the auto with. Strangely Volvo use fuse #12 for the reversing lamps (8A) and #11 for the rear electric widows and overdrive.

That said, given that reverse and overdrive can't function at the same time i would say you'd be absolutely fine using the reverse lamp feed.

For comparison, the existing reverse (back-up) lamp circuit as it exists on the RB. Pick up a connection from the blue/yellow wire feeding the reverse lamp contacts on the inhibitor switch, feed it to the 4th/overdrive solenoid, job done!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 11:09   #2463
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Always good when only a tiny mod is needed to existing wiring to make things work!

Just had a look at the 1980 and 1985 wiring diagrams - the 1980 only shows the auto without overdrive, the 1985 shows the auto with. Strangely Volvo use fuse #12 for the reversing lamps (8A) and #11 for the rear electric widows and overdrive.

That said, given that reverse and overdrive can't function at the same time i would say you'd be absolutely fine using the reverse lamp feed.

For comparison, the existing reverse (back-up) lamp circuit as it exists on the RB. Pick up a connection from the blue/yellow wire feeding the reverse lamp contacts on the inhibitor switch, feed it to the 4th/overdrive solenoid, job done!
Spooky - I was going to ask you whether you had a wiring diagram for a later 240 (with a AW71 box)!

Luke has the relay for the 4th gear solenoid, but I won't need it - the input side to the reversing light on the RB (the blue/yellow feed wire from fuse 12) will be switched live, which is all I need - so the solenoid is live all the time the ignition is on.

That is the first engineering problem solved, just the prop, prop bearing support and the cooling lines to go. All those parts are coming from Luke, so when I've got the AW71L package here I can work out what needs to be done to solve those 3.

I'm rather hoping I can have the AW71L box cleaned up and serviced plus a prop, prop bearing support and cooling lines that will fit straight on to the RB ready to go by next spring. If that is the case and I'm confident it will be a straightforward swap then I'll change my engine refresh plan to pull the engine/gearbox together and remove the BW55 on the ground. Fit the B21a with new rings and big end shells on the bench plus a few minor jobs like freeing off the distributor that is a bit reluctant to move (although that hardly matters much with electronic ignition). Then, fit the AW71L on the ground and re-fit to the car with the new prop, prop support and cooling lines, as well as the old shifter.

We'll see how that plan develops during the summer - it should be relatively easy to plan everything with all the parts here.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 11:39   #2464
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Loki.

Please which is and are the M90 and the M47?

But sorry please don't expect me to remember ...

Stephen

The M47 box has fifth out to the right and forward, with reverse protected by a locking collar on the left and forward, whereas the M90 has reverse opposite 5th with a detent preventing you from going directly from 5th to reverse.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 11:50   #2465
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The M47 box has fifth out to the right and forward, with reverse protected by a locking collar on the left and forward, whereas the M90 has reverse opposite 5th with a detent preventing you from going directly from 5th to reverse.

I must go to my car and see what I find.

So. They both have the same "pattern" but the M47 has a locking collar?

Anything else>

Thanks

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 13:34   #2466
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Spooky - I was going to ask you whether you had a wiring diagram for a later 240 (with a AW71 box)!
Remember the 1980 diagram i linked to ages ago for you Alan? If you use that and delete the very last part that takes you to the 1980 diagram, it should take you to the 240 stuff :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_files2.html

Alternatively, use that link and scroll down to find what you want.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 13:47   #2467
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Remember the 1980 diagram i linked to ages ago for you Alan? If you use that and delete the very last part that takes you to the 1980 diagram, it should take you to the 240 stuff :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_files2.html

Alternatively, use that link and scroll down to find what you want.
Now you mention it, I think I had that link from previously. I'd downloaded PDF copies of the 1980 wiring diagram, carburettor and auto gearbox files as I use them more frequently.
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 21:05   #2468
Othen
Premier Member

Default AW71L - Part One

The AW71L project has begun: Bob and I collected the gearbox and other parts today:

I've cut a pallet in half to use as a dolly and so help moving it around - and ordered some castor wheels for the same. The kit includes the AW71L, torque converter, flex plate, cooling pipes, shifter, prop and prop shaft support...

I'm hoping I can make a complete set of bits I need, and re-use parts from the RB:

... more to follow in slow time.
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 21:27   #2469
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You'll be feeling bored on sunday morning and fit the lot Alan!

Just something to check, i've never had a problem with a Volvo driveplate but on some other RWD cars, i've had problems where the boss attaches to the plate in the centre, mainly with the plate cracking. Worth having a good llook while it's out of the car i reckon.

Other than that, a good clean up and look at swapping the extension housing for the speedo drive and all the other checks i'm sure you have listed and job's a good'un!

Old Apr 19th, 2021, 21:39   #2470
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
You'll be feeling bored on sunday morning and fit the lot Alan!

Just something to check, i've never had a problem with a Volvo driveplate but on some other RWD cars, i've had problems where the boss attaches to the plate in the centre, mainly with the plate cracking. Worth having a good llook while it's out of the car i reckon.

Other than that, a good clean up and look at swapping the extension housing for the speedo drive and all the other checks i'm sure you have listed and job's a good'un!
I worry myself that you might be right about doing that job on Sunday morn Dave! I promised myself I'm not going to do the swap until next spring, and will use the intervening time to solve all the engineering problems first - I'm hoping I can bring myself to do that!

I hope the drive plate from the B21a will fit the torque converter and so I'll be able to use that - but as you say it will be a good opportunity to check everything.

I was going to ask you about the speedo drive unit - it is hard to envisage the requirement at the moment, but I'm hoping that will become obvious when I offer up the AW71 to the current installation?

I'm going fit the half-pallet with some caster wheels to make it easy to manoeuvre, after that I'll get everything cleaned up and serviced (I'm guessing there will be a filter inside, just like on the BW55?). A lot of parts look very similar - it will be very convenient of the cooling lines are the same, and the prop isn't too different.

Bob had a good day out and was pleased to see Luke :-)