Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where did all the fuel go?

Views : 29747

Replies : 344

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2021, 13:41   #241
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I have seen it reported that there was some profiteering during last week's 'crisis' (such is human nature I suppose) - I did read that somewhere had charged over £2/litre - although I don't know how reliable that report was (possibly just a social media spoof). Those prices will fall straight away in that profiteering will no longer be possible and competition has returned to the market.

Profiteering aside, the pump price will be to a large extent be determined by the price of crude oil, which is now trading at a little over $80/barrel - up from $65/barrel in mid-August. It would seem the world (especially China) has suddenly realised it does still need fossil fuels. Natural gas and coal prices have increased by a much larger margin - I think because of Russia exploiting Germany's reliance on gas and China's appetite for coal. I wouldn't expect to see pump gas prices to drop any time soon (but they may of course - it isn't so long ago that happened and we all enjoyed paying under a pound for a litre of Morrison's very cheapest).
I'm praying for an acrimonious split in the cartel, then it's going to be 'devil take the hindmost' for a while as oil plummets back to $28.00 a barrel.
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 13:51   #242
Whippy
Premier Member

And here,

"According to ONS data, the loss of EU drivers is only a minor cause of the shortage. At the start of 2020, before the pandemic hit, there were 37,000 EU drivers in the UK. Now, there are 24,500.

That loss of 12,500 drivers only goes a little way to explaining the current shortfall. Given a total of almost 70,000 HGV drivers left during the pandemic alone, this represents just 18% of those who exiting.
"It led a logistics thinktank led by Driver Require to conclude “EU drivers leaving the UK did not significantly contribute to the current shortage”, in a new report published this week.

"Brits are certainly the more significant factor. Over 55,000 domestic drivers left the industry during the last 18 months. Retirement, a lack of driving tests during Covid, and tax changes have all been cited as the cause."

From here
https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-c...659841.article

They conclude,

"One thing is clear: fundamental and structural change is required to reform an industry in which many people quite simply do not want to work. How this occurs will be pivotal. Because any successful measures will not only alleviate the crisis, but shape the industry for years to come".
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 13:53   #243
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Dunno, but it's annoying, having acted responsibly and not rushed to the pumps, to find that when I do need to fill up [sic] I'm limited to £30.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 13:54   #244
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Dunno, but it's annoying, having acted responsibly and not rushed to the pumps, to find that when I do need to fill up [sic] I'm limited to £30.
They should limit it to a minimum of £30.00
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 14:01   #245
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
I'm praying for an acrimonious split in the cartel, then it's going to be 'devil take the hindmost' for a while as oil plummets back to $28.00 a barrel.
Well, that was happening until as recently as last year when Saudi Arabia broke ranks and increased production in order to maintain its own income at a lower price - you may recall the price of oil somehow became negative for a brief while (I do not pretend to understand futures trading, I'm just quoting what was (I think reliably) reported).

Could that happen again? Of course, indeed it is almost certain to at some point. If the developed world (less China) is serious about becoming carbon neutral by 2035 then demand for oil must drop, and with it the price. We'll see.
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 14:02   #246
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
... I'd have to take all 4 of my motorcycles to the pump at the same time to use £30 worth!
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 14:24   #247
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Yeah, with the 'industry' again. The people who most want an influx of cheap foreign workers to come in to increase their profits.

Still not getting that though, are you.
No. I fully get it. Blame the profiteering companies. The answer to all woes.
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 14:31   #248
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I'd have to take all 4 of my motorcycles to the pump at the same time to use £30 worth!
Yeah, well, there could be a built in degree of latitude. "Two wheels good, four wheels bad" sticker on the pumps. I've actually seen a woman pull up to a pump and been unable to put the minimum delivery in. I had a guy on the next pump on Saturday filling up a Bentley, you could watch the springs settle as it all went in, I thought, there's a car needs a plimsoll line' . 😁
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 14:32   #249
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
...or a minimum payment of £40. I bet the buggers would still buy 10 litres!
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 15:00   #250
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yeah, well, there could be a built in degree of latitude. "Two wheels good, four wheels bad" sticker on the pumps. I've actually seen a woman pull up to a pump and been unable to put the minimum delivery in. I had a guy on the next pump on Saturday filling up a Bentley, you could watch the springs settle as it all went in, I thought, there's a car needs a plimsoll line' . 😁
Thank you for that, us bikers need some latitude :-)

I agree about people topping up with tiny amounts. In my first (I think) post to this thread I commented on watching a line of cars mostly filling up with less than £10 worth of fuel (that was just over a week ago I think) - which led to this whole problem. I see your point about having a £30 minimum to stop that.

Alan