Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cambelt jumped a tooth.

Views : 26940

Replies : 286

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:35   #241
lou

ps sorry its been bugging me again, had to have the cambelt cover off, same old same old, inlet out, and im sure the crank marking doesnt sit dead centre , just over a touch.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:28   #242
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Is this what is considered to have slipped a tooth...It looks fairly normal to me....

Op, am i correct (sorry the thread is very long) in the assumption that the car starts fine but after a few miles the car starts popping and misfiring...Whats your temprature gauge like?...

Jod

Last edited by Jod T5; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 12:35.
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 15:02   #243
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post

Is this what is considered to have slipped a tooth...It looks fairly normal to me....

Op, am i correct (sorry the thread is very long) in the assumption that the car starts fine but after a few miles the car starts popping and misfiring...Whats your temprature gauge like?...

Jod
hi m8, yes thats about where the tooth is but ive asked volvo mec,s and they have said them lines need to be spot on within the middle of them (v) in the back cover, if you take the belt off and turn the inlet back so the line on the inlet sits spot on with that mark it runs sweet. soon as it gets warm it starts popping,and after a few turn off,s the car runs on trys to restart and sneezes, then when you check the belt thats where the inlet sits again.ps if you put a stright edge on that pic above you will see its not aline with the mark. also temp gauge always sits at 7 oclock takes about 5-8 mins to get to this point and stays at that unless you sitting in traffic then it goes upto half and stays on that untill you start moving again then it comes back down.

Last edited by lou; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 15:07.
lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 15:12   #244
alv70d1999
I've Been Banned

you`d need a decent amount of slack on the belt for it to jump i the first place an if its going to jump, im pretty sure it wudnt just jump one tooth!(correct me if im wrong lol)..

i think myself that its not being set up right in the first place and its moving after the belts settled in.
iv seen this before when ppl try to align the cams and it all looks sweet until the tensioner does its job and tightens the belt up to what it should be an they find that the belt is out a tooth or two but they swear down it was lined up properly.

diesel pumps can be the same as the timing notch is sometimes under pressure and you have to go past the notch when putting the belt on for it to be lined up when the belt settles..
alv70d1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 16:38   #245
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou View Post
hi m8, yes thats about where the tooth is but ive asked volvo mec,s and they have said them lines need to be spot on within the middle of them (v) in the back cover, if you take the belt off and turn the inlet back so the line on the inlet sits spot on with that mark it runs sweet. soon as it gets warm it starts popping,and after a few turn off,s the car runs on trys to restart and sneezes, then when you check the belt thats where the inlet sits again.ps if you put a stright edge on that pic above you will see its not aline with the mark. also temp gauge always sits at 7 oclock takes about 5-8 mins to get to this point and stays at that unless you sitting in traffic then it goes upto half and stays on that untill you start moving again then it comes back down.
Your engine is running cold which is why it is overfuling...I would start by replacing the thermostat which will be jammed open....I bet when the needle is at 3 O'clock it runs great.....

Cheers
Jod
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 16:46   #246
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
hi m8, yes thats about where the tooth is but ive asked volvo mec,s and they have said them lines need to be spot on within the middle of them (v) in the back cover, if you take the belt off and turn the inlet back so the line on the inlet sits spot on with that mark it runs sweet. soon as it gets warm it starts popping,and after a few turn off,s the car runs on trys to restart and sneezes, then when you check the belt thats where the inlet sits again.ps if you put a stright edge on that pic above you will see its not aline with the mark.

I have done several cambelt changes and they have never alligned exactly...See Above....
I expect that once you have lined things up and start the engine, flexing in the belt or pulleys makes the alignment appear to go out of kilter....
If you want to check this mark the cam cog tooth and the belt...
From the picture you posted I really cant see it being a tooth out, a tooth either way would have far more visual effect....

I would start, as i said earlier with the thermostat...

Jod

Last edited by Jod T5; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 16:53.
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 18:00   #247
lou

hi jod ok you may be right will look into it, can tell you the car runs the same at the half way mark on the temp, but we also noticed that the exhaust was hot up untill the cat then from the clamp back so far it was cold then the back box was warm. ok wanna double check, can these cars be run without a thermostat just to try to see if this is the problem.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 18:10   #248
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
hi jod ok you may be right will look into it, can tell you the car runs the same at the half way mark on the temp, but we also noticed that the exhaust was hot up untill the cat then from the clamp back so far it was cold then the back box was warm. ok wanna double check, can these cars be run without a thermostat just to try to see if this is the problem.
I would not want to run any EFI car without a thermostat...
If the thermostat is jammed open then effectivly you are running without one...
You may also have a blocked cat, which wont help the running....
Jod
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 18:15   #249
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
I would not want to run any EFI car without a thermostat...
If the thermostat is jammed open then effectivly you are running without one...
You may also have a blocked cat, which wont help the running....
Jod
ok the cat was replaced new in oct 09 and i checked the ox sensor and it was black
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 18:17   #250
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
ok the cat was replaced new in oct 09 and i checked the ox sensor and it was black
Then i would change the Thermostat.....

Jod