Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 614705

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2023, 14:57   #2621
chanhonam

Just come back from Volvo in Derby. They ran the diagnostic and it was a blocked T-map sensor which I believe measures manifold pressure. This would indicate it is exhaust side and not related to EGR so my posts may have been in the wrong thread. Anyway they cleaned the sensor rather than replace but still cost £150.
chanhonam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chanhonam For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 18:49   #2622
Rivixter

Hi all,

I have had an engine warning light come up on my 2014 v60 d4.

It has 92k on the clock and a full service history although not all with Volvo since I purchased it in October 2019.

This is the error I get on my OBD reader. Any advice please would be greatly appreciated, should I book it into Volvo to look at? Is it related to the issues that Volvo should fix under goodwill?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine Warning.jpg (186.7 KB, 37 views)
Rivixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 08:47   #2623
Rivixter

I should add, that I have noticed that I am slowly losing engine coolant, I'm wondering if I have a leaky EGR?
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 21:06   #2624
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivixter View Post
Hi all,

I have had an engine warning light come up on my 2014 v60 d4.

It has 92k on the clock and a full service history although not all with Volvo since I purchased it in October 2019.

This is the error I get on my OBD reader. Any advice please would be greatly appreciated, should I book it into Volvo to look at? Is it related to the issues that Volvo should fix under goodwill?
Yes, those are codes associated with the EGR and cooler faults. Unfortunately you'll have to pay Volvo £150 to read the codes themselves before raising the issue of goodwill with them. It's been a while now but some people do still seem to be getting them fixed by Volvo.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 05:14   #2625
Rivixter

Ok thanks. I will book it in with Volvo and try for the goodwill gesture with them.
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 09:41   #2626
Lurpdog101

Hi - new to forum and Volvo and reading this thread with interest.

I was having issues with engine light on and turned out was EGR - I have a 2014 XC60 2.0L L4 TD. My local garage did some investigations, cleaned it but said it needed a new EGR valve as there were multiple error codes all pointing to that. £1350. Volvo would not do goodwil, or rather the Volvo dealer said very unlikely, as the goodwill programme expired in 2019!! Plus I would need to drive it 30 miles to the Volvo dealership, and pay for them to say exactly the same as my local one.

Anyhow, I ended up paying the £1350 which was much cheaper than what Vovlo had quoted (£1800+) and happy as used this garage over 25 years and highly reputable, trustworthy and knowledgeable and knew they would do good job

However, a few weeks on and light back on, this time saying PD04D9-00 Closed Loop EGR Control at Limit - Flow too low. General Failure Information No Communication.

My local garage have cleaned the cooler or air filter thoroughly but it still came back on. Wondering if anyone had any ideas?
Lurpdog101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 17:14   #2627
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurpdog101 View Post
Hi - new to forum and Volvo and reading this thread with interest.

I was having issues with engine light on and turned out was EGR - I have a 2014 XC60 2.0L L4 TD. My local garage did some investigations, cleaned it but said it needed a new EGR valve as there were multiple error codes all pointing to that. £1350. Volvo would not do goodwil, or rather the Volvo dealer said very unlikely, as the goodwill programme expired in 2019!! Plus I would need to drive it 30 miles to the Volvo dealership, and pay for them to say exactly the same as my local one.

Anyhow, I ended up paying the £1350 which was much cheaper than what Vovlo had quoted (£1800+) and happy as used this garage over 25 years and highly reputable, trustworthy and knowledgeable and knew they would do good job

However, a few weeks on and light back on, this time saying PD04D9-00 Closed Loop EGR Control at Limit - Flow too low. General Failure Information No Communication.

My local garage have cleaned the cooler or air filter thoroughly but it still came back on. Wondering if anyone had any ideas?
A loose connector or b*ggered sensor?
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 10:34   #2628
Lurpdog101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
A loose connector or b*ggered sensor?
Possibly…it’s what we thought might be possibility. I tried calling my Volvo dealer to ask but they never called back. Wondered if perhaps sensor was broken. However isn’t the sensor part of the EGR valve? As that’s a brand new part from Volvo that was fitted..

Last edited by Lurpdog101; Feb 5th, 2023 at 10:42.
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 11:35   #2629
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurpdog101 View Post
Possibly…it’s what we thought might be possibility. I tried calling my Volvo dealer to ask but they never called back. Wondered if perhaps sensor was broken. However isn’t the sensor part of the EGR valve? As that’s a brand new part from Volvo that was fitted..
Did you first establish that your cooler and associated pipework are the latest iteration of the upgraded design fix (with the larger cooler galleries and re-routed coolant hoses plus EGR control software mods)? Volvo usually do this with 80-100% goodwill. Goodwill certainly did not end in 2019. Usually they will do something as long as your car has had service history maintained (independents or Volvo). There is a pic back in the depths of this thread that shows what your hose layout should look like if you've had the 'fix'.

Cleaning a cooler may result in some success if it's one of the newer ones but cleaning an original cooler is more than likely pointless.

If I had a VEA engine car that I was planning to keep for some time I'd be looking at an EGR bypass with re-map to take the design flaw out of the picture altogether.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Feb 5th, 2023 at 11:38.
RDesign4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 12:27   #2630
Lurpdog101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Did you first establish that your cooler and associated pipework are the latest iteration of the upgraded design fix (with the larger cooler galleries and re-routed coolant hoses plus EGR control software mods)? Volvo usually do this with 80-100% goodwill. Goodwill certainly did not end in 2019. Usually they will do something as long as your car has had service history maintained (independents or Volvo). There is a pic back in the depths of this thread that shows what your hose layout should look like if you've had the 'fix'.

Cleaning a cooler may result in some success if it's one of the newer ones but cleaning an original cooler is more than likely pointless.

If I had a VEA engine car that I was planning to keep for some time I'd be looking at an EGR bypass with re-map to take the design flaw out of the picture altogether.

Thanks - it was Rybrook Volvo in Chester told me that the goodwill expired in 2019. They said they could try but as 3 years after the end of the goodwill period they highly doubt it. I only bought the car in September and cost £2000 so far in new rocker valve, cam belt and EGR valve. My local garage have cleaned it twice already. I’m not sure if they are the latest iteration but I’ll check back for the image and ask my garage to check for me (I’m useless with cars). I have 147,000 on the clock, as it was a fleet car but I have full service history stamps….first 3 or 4 Volvo but then independent thereafter, last one being last September.