Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPT or HPT ??

Views : 1841

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2018, 21:04   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
My car is mainly for transporting the dog and she's not too keen on enthusiastic or spirited driving unless its in a straight line
Attachment 117064
Cute pooch - have to admit mine is mainly for hound transport but if i give it a few beans she gets up and starts looking round to see what she can growl and bark at seeing as the car is growling!

Butter wouldn't melt of course!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 21:14   #22
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well your chassis plate says B230FT ( 165 bhp 264 nm torque )
The sticky label is correct including engine number .

so you have neither the High Pressure turbo B230GT 170 bhp 265 nm torque)

nor the low pressure turbo B230FK ( 135 bhp 230 nm )

Someone above asked why they bothered with the B230Fk which produces only 3 bhp more power than the non turbo B230E,
It was to keep competitive with the competitors engines and torque at the time , you would never know it was a turbo , low boost , no turbo badging and no turbo gauge .. It was all just to get an extra 40 nm of torque , it made the difference ...
Sorry but I'm lost here ? I thought the B230fk on my sticker means it is the 135bhp LPT

Also when i put that vin number in it also shows B230FK Low pressure turbo ?
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 08:42   #23
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov236 View Post
Hello
Has You Dash Got The TURBO BOOST INDICATOR ? IF SO ITS A HPT MODEL BUT AS YOU SAID B230FK IS LPT WITH NO TURBO BOOST INDICATOR ON THE DASH

Regards Maria
Not necessarily. The Exxon Valdez is an LPT but has the boost gauge fitted.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 09:28   #24
LPTJoe

Quote:

Someone above asked why they bothered with the B230Fk which produces only 3 bhp more power than the non turbo B230E,
It was to keep competitive with the competitors engines and torque at the time , you would never know it was a turbo , low boost , no turbo badging and no turbo gauge .. It was all just to get an extra 40 nm of torque , it made the difference ...
It was me that asked, although my question was really why Volvo bothered with LPT cars when for zero extra cost they could have produced full fat HPT cars. I suspect LairdScooby hit the nail on the head RE European tax advantages or possible insurance costs....?

Either way, easily changed If one ups the boost to HPT levels using a MBC.

Another quick question, if the boost on LPT cars is upped to HPT turbo levels using a manual boost control how does that effect the driving characteristics? Will they perform and drive in exactly the same way as a B230FT? Does boost happen later in the rev range etc?

TIA
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 12:09   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I don't know for sure Joe as i've never fitted and used an MBC but on the basis that thr turbo and everything else is the same, it should spool up just as quickly as the HPT and build boost at the same rate, just more of it after you pass the point where the LPT levels out on the boost and just maintains it at 7psi or whatever the low boost level is. I think the higher boost is 10psi so where it would have previously got to a certain point and no more boost, it will keep adding boost.

Someone with a turbo model that has fitted an MBC should be along soon to either confirm or refute that idea and hopefully explain it better.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 12:38   #26
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The LPT was not for tax purposes in Europe that I know of as where engine size was an issue it was cc that the tax was based on. That is where the 200bhp B204 engines came from.

If anything the LPT would be more a US market thing so making it more of a lazy torque engine with all the power low down making it feel like a bigger engine.

The main thing is those engines will have lived a less stressed life so ideal for a MBC to make some extra power higher up. Couple that with a cam upgrade you can make it into a somewhat more fun car
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 12:52   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
It was me that asked, although my question was really why Volvo bothered with LPT cars when for zero extra cost they could have produced full fat HPT cars. I suspect LairdScooby hit the nail on the head RE European tax advantages or possible insurance costs....?

Either way, easily changed If one ups the boost to HPT levels using a MBC.

Another quick question, if the boost on LPT cars is upped to HPT turbo levels using a manual boost control how does that effect the driving characteristics? Will they perform and drive in exactly the same way as a B230FT? Does boost happen later in the rev range etc?

TIA
The turbocharger on the B230Fk low boost is different to the B230Ft/Gt higher boost engines
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 12:56   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Sorry but I'm lost here ? I thought the B230fk on my sticker means it is the 135bhp LPT

Also when i put that vin number in it also shows B230FK Low pressure turbo ?
I'm confused too! volvo have your engine listed as a B230FTs so it seems they input it incorrectly when the car was new , so you do have the B230FK it seems as per the label .
The turbo is a different ( smaller ) one on the B230Fk to the B230Ft and GT as the only reason for the B230Fk was 40 nm more torque at the lower end of the rpm scale .It was marketing not a legal or tax thing
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 13:21   #29
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm confused too! volvo have your engine listed as a B230FTs so it seems they input it incorrectly when the car was new , so you do have the B230FK it seems as per the label .
The turbo is a different ( smaller ) one on the B230Fk to the B230Ft and GT as the only reason for the B230Fk was 40 nm more torque at the lower end of the rpm scale .It was marketing not a legal or tax thing
That's strange. On the delivery documents ( from the dealer Strathmore )it has LPT and as you say the plate confirms that as well.

Should I contact my Volvo dealer with a pic of the plate ?
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 14:42   #30
LPTJoe

Quote:
The turbocharger on the B230Fk low boost is different to the B230Ft/Gt higher boost engines
Really?

I'm pretty sure the B230FT as of 1990 onwards got the same TD04 (TD04-13c on later models) turbo fitted to the B230FK, only with a different actuator...

Last edited by LPTJoe; Nov 29th, 2018 at 14:49.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post: