Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low boost pressure & engine service urgent message

Views : 2164

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2023, 13:34   #21
camturbo

My turbo actuator had a failed earth inside of actuator
There are cogs on one side which can strip and a circuit board on the other. Replaced the actuator and all is good.
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 13:39   #22
Sampat1994

Did the actuator move atall with the failed earth ?

My issue is the fuel pressure maxes out at 16000 psi when it should go way above

Done fuel flow valve

Pressure regulator

Pressure sensor

Still nothing
Sampat1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 15:17   #23
camturbo

A tiny bit yes at the intermittent stage. Even changed the boost sensor on the intercooler outlet but that made no difference. No code reader showed any codes at the time apart from from the volvo one which did. Cant remember what they were though
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 15:29   #24
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile well..:(

Camturbo- how was the car like when the turbo actuator failed?, did you get the engine service msg and limited power?, what sort of boost psi

Sampat, thanks - sounds like your D5 troubles in a different area, could the
problem be the HP pump ? as it sounds like you've eliminated most other
things (maybe swap fuel filter if its old?) ive got one to put on mine but suspect it will make no difference !

Today i decided to put back together the EGR cover (thanks clan i spotted the plastic plunger - makes sense, now, was thinking maybe ild extend the motor forks and see if i could see the valve stem being moved, but the plunger not contacting the motor/cam would probably stop it working, i didnt try forcing it as the spring looks fairly chunky, but may try that now, i just twisted the motor end a bit and it rotates ok..

Swapped out the air filter, and i noticed i had forgotten to plug in the throttle body conn yesterday, it started after 1 attempt & some spluttering, but boost pressure very arratic between slight vaccum, and low psi boost, but now the MAF reading dropped from 14 to 8 at tickover... arghh!! nothing improved,
so am going to have to find someone with vida, i did also try the (useless) laptop running from 2x 12v batts, connected the dice, all it popped was 'no network error', a browser screen did eventually show, with a local\vida or similar http but i think im gonna give up any hope of that working !

Anyway another tale of probably barking up the wrong tree, i might get another MAP sensor as easy ish to replace, could really use someone with
a working vida, - a question here, do more expensive fault code readers
have the ability to delve into all areas that vida does? or do they only have
the ability to read and test 'most' functions you'd find with diesel engines?

I tried adding engine load, with torque, and this was showing a rather random 50% at tickover, but did peak at 100% with accel fully pressed,
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 15:52   #25
Sampat1994

Instead of getting a new map sensor, you could un link the Acctuator arm from the turbo the little circlip

Load up the torque app and look at the manifold/ boost pressure and drop the Arm on the turbo down and the pressure will increase.

Lift it up and it should decrease, I would assume if works if you can see the readings change!

In theory shouldn't drop below the atmospheric pressure

Don't hold it down for too long tho as its basically overboost I guess
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 16:07   #26
camturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Camturbo- how was the car like when the turbo actuator failed?, did you get the engine service msg and limited power?, what sort of boost psi

Sampat, thanks - sounds like your D5 troubles in a different area, could the
problem be the HP pump ? as it sounds like you've eliminated most other
things (maybe swap fuel filter if its old?) ive got one to put on mine but suspect it will make no difference !

Today i decided to put back together the EGR cover (thanks clan i spotted the plastic plunger - makes sense, now, was thinking maybe ild extend the motor forks and see if i could see the valve stem being moved, but the plunger not contacting the motor/cam would probably stop it working, i didnt try forcing it as the spring looks fairly chunky, but may try that now, i just twisted the motor end a bit and it rotates ok..

Swapped out the air filter, and i noticed i had forgotten to plug in the throttle body conn yesterday, it started after 1 attempt & some spluttering, but boost pressure very arratic between slight vaccum, and low psi boost, but now the MAF reading dropped from 14 to 8 at tickover... arghh!! nothing improved,
so am going to have to find someone with vida, i did also try the (useless) laptop running from 2x 12v batts, connected the dice, all it popped was 'no network error', a browser screen did eventually show, with a local\vida or similar http but i think im gonna give up any hope of that working !

Anyway another tale of probably barking up the wrong tree, i might get another MAP sensor as easy ish to replace, could really use someone with
a working vida, - a question here, do more expensive fault code readers
have the ability to delve into all areas that vida does? or do they only have
the ability to read and test 'most' functions you'd find with diesel engines?

I tried adding engine load, with torque, and this was showing a rather random 50% at tickover, but did peak at 100% with accel fully pressed,
When it failed it was frightening to drive in fact dangerous. On accelerating lorries would be catching me up,could just get to 3000 revs. Engine service message was lit then eventually soot filter. After actuator was replaced it was a night and day difference. After a few miles of spirited driving shall we say the messages went.
Couldn't measure boost as such but it was negligible like no boost or hardly any.
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 17:09   #27
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile boost pressure & moving linkage

thanks.. yes i def have the same lack of performance,, as you say night & day from when its running well..

i did try manually moving the turbo linkage, with an eye on boost pressure, but it didnt do very much at all, tried from tickover to maybe 1500 rpm but boost pressure didnt exactly jump up as you might expect,, apparently turbos can go to high miles if oil has been regularly changed etc, but def no high pitched audibles with this one..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 17:54   #28
camturbo

Quote:
thanks.. yes i def have the same lack of performance,, as you say night & day from when its running well..

i did try manually moving the turbo linkage, with an eye on boost pressure, but it didnt do very much at all, tried from tickover to maybe 1500 rpm but boost pressure didnt exactly jump up as you might expect,, apparently turbos can go to high miles if oil has been regularly changed etc, but def no high pitched audibles with this one..
My turbo was free as a bird like yours sent the actuator off to a company,will try and find them out. Least you could ask them questions. Have you tried the actuator for voltage or taken it apart yet
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 01:18   #29
Sampat1994

Quote:

If the car is running and you drop the turbo linkage down your manifold pressure (including atmospheric) should be over 30psi

And with it up should he like 900ish hpa

I'd say if it isn't then defo gotta be MAP or hose leak surely!!

I'm sure there lots of.reasons you shouldn't but the most affective way to find boost leaks for me was to get a can of break cleaner and spray gently around the joints in the hoses etc and if engine revs up then air is getting in where it shouldn't.

The fairly liquid and bubbles isn't as good but then some leaks may only show.under load

I'm back tomorrow mate so let me know if I can help more
The Following User Says Thank You to Sampat1994 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 14:46   #30
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampat1994 View Post
If the car is running and you drop the turbo linkage down your manifold pressure (including atmospheric) should be over 30psi

And with it up should he like 900ish hpa

I'd say if it isn't then defo gotta be MAP or hose leak surely!!

I'm sure there lots of.reasons you shouldn't but the most affective way to find boost leaks for me was to get a can of break cleaner and spray gently around the joints in the hoses etc and if engine revs up then air is getting in where it shouldn't.

The fairly liquid and bubbles isn't as good but then some leaks may only show.under load

I'm back tomorrow mate so let me know if I can help more
Hi you will only get high boost if the car is being driven under load
you can get 2-5psi just reving the car high with no load, will not give you 30psi,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low boost, maf, vnt