Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A serious XC60 competitor

Views : 7954

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2015, 14:49   #21
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
Just saw this online a few days ago. I'm up for a new car in a few months and for me it's between this Merc, a Discovery Sport, and a new XC60. I'm currently in a 2009 XC60.

DS doesn't come in 5 seats except in the smaller engine size, I don't need 7 seats.

XC60 is still a major contender, but the Merc to me looks like the best package, The LCD screen does indeed looks like a bolt-on, but I could live with that if that was the only negative.

For anyone looking more info, here's a 40 min indepth video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfN_YPCZ-k
Do let the Forum know how the decision process goes. Take an extended unaccompanied test drive over roads you know. Are you happy with (apparently) no room for even a space-saver ? Lots of questions !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 11:11   #22
Superbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilesme View Post
Arf! No, one of these http://www.thecarconnection.com/over...an_murano_2015

No idea how they're selling so it could be as successful!
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 14:12   #23
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Just saw this online a few days ago. I'm up for a new car in a few months and for me it's between this Merc, a Discovery Sport, and a new XC60. I'm currently in a 2009 XC60.

DS doesn't come in 5 seats except in the smaller engine size, I don't need 7 seats.

XC60 is still a major contender, but the Merc to me looks like the best package, The LCD screen does indeed looks like a bolt-on, but I could live with that if that was the only negative.
You will find that a test drive of a MY16 XC60 will be liking comparing "chalk v cheese" against your MY09 version.
I was very surprised with my latest MY16 v previous MY12 which had so may improvements in all areas.
Better the devil you know v the one you don't.....as they say......
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 16:35   #24
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
You will find that a test drive of a MY16 XC60 will be liking comparing "chalk v cheese" against your MY09 version.
I was very surprised with my latest MY16 v previous MY12 which had so may improvements in all areas.
Better the devil you know v the one you don't.....as they say......
I really really like my car. It's comfortable to drive, good space,nice visibility, decent performance via polestar. At the time of purchase it was ahead of most cars with the standard city safety. Passengers are very complimentary, which implies to me that it's a better passenger experience that many cars my passengers have been in. My partner loves to drive it, and sees driving it as a treat. I've had a few issues, and although the rear diff was a disappointing replacement after 35K, who doesn't have issues over 6 years.

But I suppose If I'm changing cars, and spending in or around 40K, I probably want something different, something that's a new 2015/16 design, as opposed to staying with fundamentally the same car, that's been face lifted down the years.

A refreshed XC60 would be a stronger pull for me if I could at least have the new VEA engine. But, the XC60 has showed me the everyday driving benefits of AWD (economy aside), and it's now a tickbox that I won't compromise over, and unfortunately there is no announcment about VEA + AWD.

Last edited by tangey; Jul 10th, 2015 at 16:39.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 20:45   #25
dty

Try and take a VEA FWD for an extended drive. You might be impressed. We moved from a MY09/58-plate D5 AWD to a MY16 D4 VEA FWD and it's fantastic.
dty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 21:10   #26
m2srt

My wife drives a V40 CC D4 VEA auto and yes it's a great engine but my god does it suffer from torque steer! Ultimately, I'm in the AWD camp too and as the VEA AWD drivetrain is incompatible with the current XC60 it looks like I'm going to have to wait for the SPA XC60.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 23:23   #27
Superbenj

Quote:
I really really like my car. It's comfortable to drive, good space,nice visibility, decent performance via polestar. At the time of purchase it was ahead of most cars with the standard city safety. Passengers are very complimentary, which implies to me that it's a better passenger experience that many cars my passengers have been in. My partner loves to drive it, and sees driving it as a treat. I've had a few issues, and although the rear diff was a disappointing replacement after 35K, who doesn't have issues over 6 years.

But I suppose If I'm changing cars, and spending in or around 40K, I probably want something different, something that's a new 2015/16 design, as opposed to staying with fundamentally the same car, that's been face lifted down the years.

A refreshed XC60 would be a stronger pull for me if I could at least have the new VEA engine. But, the XC60 has showed me the everyday driving benefits of AWD (economy aside), and it's now a tickbox that I won't compromise over, and unfortunately there is no announcment about VEA + AWD.
I know what you mean about something new and different. Its the reason why I didn't replace my MY11.5 XC60 with a MY16 when I emigrated. After 4 and half years I wanted something new, not just an update on what I had been driving for nearly 5 years
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 14:47   #28
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Do let the Forum know how the decision process goes. Take an extended unaccompanied test drive over roads you know. Are you happy with (apparently) no room for even a space-saver ? Lots of questions !
Well dealer got a demo in yesterday, and I have pulled the trigger on the GLC. Looks like start/mid december for delivery.

Will be the first car I've had with no spare wheel. If I look back over my driving experience I've probably had 6-8 puctures in 30+ years. Of course that means I'll have 1 ever 6 months now.

I did actually speak to the salesman about it. They (local dealer that has a couple of branches that cover NI), do commit to coming out with a skinny spare and changing it for you. Not sure how that would work out @ 11:30pm on a winters night down a country lane.

Anyhow, the other side of this story is that I'll have my XC60 for sale for handover in December. I'm sure there aren't too many on here from N.I., but just in case, its 2009 SE Lux, Terra bronze with the matching 2-tone leather, 38K miles, with PCC, bluetooth, power tailgate, and uprated stereo. FSH one owner from new

Last edited by tangey; Oct 9th, 2015 at 14:51.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 18:13   #29
NigelDay
Premier Member

Thanks for the update. The spare is an issue for many of us, but at least you have thought about it carefully in advance of your decision.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 23:11   #30
Kev78

Nice choice.

Many rivals now offer much better engines and gearboxes than the XC60.

I still think the XC60 is the best looking car in its class with the exception of the macan though.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote