Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My lovely 940 heading for Ulez scrappage

Views : 2983

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2023, 13:01   #21
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suterman View Post
If you lease a brand new v60 it cost around 585 a month (just over 7k a year)

with the scrappage scheme giving you 2k to crush your beautiful, solid and already paid for and served 25 years 940, thats 5k a year,

12.50 per day is £4562 per year.

discuss
That way you've got 12 months to escape London and have some change left over 😂
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 13:13   #22
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
There HAS to be a way to be to make these cars run cleaner.With the knowledge and scientific developments available surely there has to be a way,without using dodgy software to mask the problem.I can't believe we are being forced to scrap these beautiful old cars to replace them with modern junk.....
There is, and its been around for decades. Its called LPG and runs very well and very cleanly. I've personally run a 1963 Landrover and a 1997 V70R on LPG and they actually ran better on LPG than petrol. The infrastructure is there already (or was until they started ripping it out to replace it with EV charging points), pretty much any petrol engine can use it with minimal modification, and a grant of £1k (vs a £2k scrappage scheme) would make it financially attractive to 80+% of existing car owners.

Unfortunately, its a carbon fuel so by that definition alone its evil. Lets forget that most medicines, cosmetics, even some food additives are oil based... We ain't getting rid of oil any time soon.

ULEZ is indeed about *local* air quality. No its not, its another revenue generating scheme. In Sheffield we have a ULEZ scheme and the council are taxing (for now) commercial vehicles, buses and taxis. One flaw in that plan... wind. Sheffield is quite a windy city. When it was introduced it was supposed to 'improve the air quality for the people living in Sheffield'. But the ULEZ only covers the city centre, whereas most people do not live within that area. I'm sure the scheme will be expanded to include private cars once they start to depend upon the taxation it is generating. Its laughable, but equally annoying and frustrating.

I'm not anti-EV per se, in fact I quite like some of them, however I utterly disagree with all the 'green wash' nonsense that its packaged with, and the mantra that non-EV cars kill puppies for fun and want Gary Glitter to go on tour again.

LPG was the easiest solution, already proven with an established infrastructure. However, keeping these 'older' cars (my newest car is a 2013 Honda - which is road tax free but not ULEZ* compliant) on the road means that the car industry would lose out on £100s millions in sales, and the Government would lose out on £100s millions of new car taxes. Money talks, and I wish they'd be honest and drop the BS.

*If it was genuinely about air quality, you'd think that a road tax scheme that is tiered based upon exhaust emissions, and the 'EURO' emission categories that ULEZ uses would be aligned??? Entirely different measurements of different exhaust compounds.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 10:28   #23
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

I hope you aren't considering replacing it with a self-immolating environmentally damaging electric vehicle.

btw - isn't ULEZ dead now as a result of the protests.
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 14:14   #24
GingerMagic

I still don't understand why they are called 'electric' vehicles when they are battery powered.

I have a radio controlled car that is powered by a charged up battery - I don't call that an electric car

Hope you find a resolution either way, but down here in Bournemouth rather than introducing an LEZ the council just close the roads leading to the town centre and charging bum rape amounts to park on the outskirts - so now it's just a ghost town full of closing down businesses...
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 04:47   #25
lynns hubby
Master Member

I still don't understand peoples mentality. The "Green" brigade will go out and buy a Battery powered car (EV) and believe they have done their bit for the environment without a thought as to what it took to to produce that vehicle.
Child labour, de-forestation emissions from manufacture etc.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 02:15   #26
Jimarilo

If we get to net zero co2 we will all be dead as all life on earth depends on it .......
Jimarilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 10:38   #27
Forrest
VOC Member

Forcing “clean air” on city dwellers at the expense of their warmth, freedom and livelihood is a slightly different concept from the climate change religion. It will probably increase the effects of global warming. About the only thing proven to reduce global temperatures is large quantities of dust and ash in the atmosphere from volcanic eruptions. Cleaning up the air is going the wrong way!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 06:08   #28
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Posted in wrong thread.

Last edited by Frank Bullitt; Sep 16th, 2023 at 06:28.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 06:20   #29
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Posted in wrong thread

Last edited by Frank Bullitt; Sep 16th, 2023 at 06:28.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 15:33   #30
940volvoman
Master Member

Lets not get too excited about this. ULEZ will eventually cover all parts of the country (and world) to raise extra funds.

But the electric infrastructure will be on its knees. Then electric cars will be taxed for carrying lithium ion batteries which might catch fire if overcharged......

Give me back my 940.......
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote