Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why don't people use the handbrake when stopped?

Views : 5215

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2013, 10:23   #21
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypenguin View Post
Also, what is it with people driving with their front fogs on these days? It's not even remotely foggy so turn them off!
So as a Volvo driver, it's ok for you to drive your car with your headlights on in ALL conditions but not for others to use fog/driving lights in low light conditions! How does that work then??
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 10:39   #22
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

In relation to this I as of yesterday was actually pretty dazzled by the LED's on the rear of a Jazz from memory they are so bright and get pretty irritating after a couple of minutes.

Put simply those that say about the lights not being bright enough, the actual procedure is to wait until the vehicle behind has stopped so that the vehicle coming behind knows the vehicle in front is slowing or has in fact stopped. Now in relation to timings for applying handbrakes my instructor always said 10 seconds at a complete stop before applying, however this does not imply releasing the foot brake until a car behind pulls up or is about to.

In relation to stop/start and what Volvo terms as the "parking brake" words used in manuals from Volvo. It does explain the location of the button, but also the fact that it could quite easily have a) a better location b) operate automatically allowing the brakes to be released and therefore comply properly with the Highway Code.

Additionally don't get me start on automatic release of handbrakes as I find the concept stupid and it removes a layer of protection the handbrake offers in stopping a vehicle going forward should a driver make a mistake.

In relation to the stop/start system as others have highlighted elsewhere the automatic vehicles require the driver to keep their foot on the brake pedal otherwise the engine will restart so put simply the system is badly designed for the UK market in being linked to the foot brake rather than (in my view) the more logical gearbox (as the manual versions have to be in neutral).

In relation to lights being on all the time with Volvo, in real terms Volvo's dipped beam is not all that bright in comparison with a high intensity light (technically speaking a "foglight" is a bad term to use) as the actual usage is when visibility is below 100 metres, whilst this may suggest only fog it clearly does not just say "fog".

Usually the ones using foglights on the front in my experience also have poorly setup headlights generally. Also I believe one post highlighted younger drivers yet again, in my experience this is usage of foglights is anything but, usually SUV's in my area, but it clearly is not just an issue with "younger drivers".

Young drivers around here tend to have what I believe someone termed on here as "laser cannons".

Last edited by Ninja59; Dec 13th, 2013 at 10:44.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 10:52   #23
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
If volvo had put the switch in a sensible place, eg where the handbrake is expected to be then it would see more use I'm sure.
For a company who usually get the ergonomics right the siting of the handbrake switch is unbelievable, they may as well have put it on the rear parcel shelf for all the ease of access where it is.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 11:54   #24
civilservant

I do not have a problem reaching the EPB lever. Ok yes, it does involve leaning forward slightly but seriously, is that a problem when consideration of others and safety are at stake?
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to civilservant For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 12:27   #25
Chris_C
Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
I believe it has been discussed in another thread how outdated and old the Highway Code is and needs urgent updating.
There are a lot of thing in the country that require updating, that doesn't stop the current written law (and in the case of the HC, rules) being the thing that is written down that everyone should abide by.

In the 340 (manual) I do as described above by I-S and as I was taught by the IAM ~5 years ago and my driving instructor more years ago. Handbrake-Neutral-Clutchup-Brakeoff (an arc around the West to North side of you in order, keeping light pressure on the brakes to keep the lights lit until someone pulls up behind)

In the Corset (auto) I do as I feel the car likes (as I've never had formal training in an auto... maybe I should?!) if it's a short stop, normally less than a red traffic light, I hold her on the brake pedal. The handbrake is adjusted well (I auto test in the car sometimes if a local event has a low entry and the 300 is broken, so it needs to be able to pirouette on the handbrake if need be in competition) yet it will not hold the car back without excessive force on the handbrake cables. So, any more than a few seconds I knock it into neutral (not park, I've no idea why I see so many cars flick their reversing lights on in traffic) and leave her on the handbrake.

I didn't realise moderns had a "declutch" feature on the auto. They'll have almost caught up with the other features the 340 autos had soon
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 13:59   #26
volvorocks
Rodney

New Volvo V70 - possibly the brightest brake lights in the world...???? Totally over the top - even in normal driving a few car lengths behind they were dazzling!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 14:09   #27
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_C View Post
There are a lot of thing in the country that require updating, that doesn't stop the current written law (and in the case of the HC, rules) being the thing that is written down that everyone should abide by.

In the 340 (manual) I do as described above by I-S and as I was taught by the IAM ~5 years ago and my driving instructor more years ago. Handbrake-Neutral-Clutchup-Brakeoff (an arc around the West to North side of you in order, keeping light pressure on the brakes to keep the lights lit until someone pulls up behind)

In the Corset (auto) I do as I feel the car likes (as I've never had formal training in an auto... maybe I should?!) if it's a short stop, normally less than a red traffic light, I hold her on the brake pedal. The handbrake is adjusted well (I auto test in the car sometimes if a local event has a low entry and the 300 is broken, so it needs to be able to pirouette on the handbrake if need be in competition) yet it will not hold the car back without excessive force on the handbrake cables. So, any more than a few seconds I knock it into neutral (not park, I've no idea why I see so many cars flick their reversing lights on in traffic) and leave her on the handbrake.

I didn't realise moderns had a "declutch" feature on the auto. They'll have almost caught up with the other features the 340 autos had soon
Rules aside, flicking the auto gearbox between D and N will wear out your gearbox.... P is better.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 14:24   #28
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I do not have a problem reaching the EPB lever. Ok yes, it does involve leaning forward slightly but seriously, is that a problem when consideration of others and safety are at stake?
Releasing it is not an issue, that's automatic when you select a gear and press the accelerator.
It's finding the switch in the dark that's the issue to apply the handbrake. The lever in my old S60 was at the end of my wrist and fell easily to hand, the switch is now hidden behind the wheel and wiper stalk and is quite close to the boot release switch. With practice it might become second nature but only three weeks in it's not a natural action.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 14:45   #29
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Rules aside, flicking the auto gearbox between D and N will wear out your gearbox.... P is better.
?? P and N are additive in effect. A gearbox in P has already entered Neutral. In moving to P you place wear in the parking pawl, selector and also flash your reverse lights momentarily as you move back to 'drive' to get going again: none of which are a good thing.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 14:52   #30
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
I tend to use the footbrake when at lights until the car behind stops then the handbrake goes on otherwise they are subjected to rather bright rear LED brake lights which I don't think fair, using the handbrake also lets the car (an auto) go back in to drive making a quick get away without the transmission banging in to gear when you release the footbrake with revs applied (stop neutral feature is still active and working on my V70) - Mike
I do that, not only because it's the highway code but because if your watching in your mirror for traffic approaching from behind, you may just see that truck thats failing to stop and take evading action. I managed to avoid having a friend rear end me once when they couldn't stop in time.

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Because the design of the v70 makes it extremely inconvenient.

I used to use the handbrake religiously, but it's just too inaccessible in the v70.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
simple, laziness ! cant be bothered to pull a lever up , Volvo made it easier by going electric but even pressing a button seems too much of an effort .. this isn't a Volvo thing its absolutely universal now
The Volvo EPB is a bad bit of design on Volvo's behalf. It's not in a very ergonomic place to use. Also I believe heavy use of the Auto-release function eats through rear brake pads. Needs the switch relocating to the gear lever area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
And related to my other pet hate, people who leave the indicators on long after the car behind had joined the queue. Indicators dazzle too, so why not cancel them until the traffic starts moving?

Worst of all though are the rear fog lights. There are people who 'know their rights' and that the highway code allow them to use foglights when visiblilty drops to some threshold. They know their rights, so they absolutely will not switch off the fog lights.... Even in a queue of traffic at a junction, and even in a tightly knit moving traffic jam crawling at 10mph around the M25!?
I'll always use my Rear Fog light in bad visibility as if anyone rear ends me, they can't say I wasn't visible. However it does mean using some common sense. The highway code says if visibilty is below 100 meters but 100 meters is the stopping distance from 70mph. Personally I judge the need for having it on by My speed x 2 =distance I should be able to see, upto 50mph. So if I'm doing 25mph and visibilty is more than 50 meters then it stays off. If it's less than 50 meters then I switch it on.

A couple of weeks ago I was in heavy traffic on the M62 in fog and one person had their rear fog light on even when they were stopped. If I was behind them they would have been treated to a blast of a horn and high beams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm View Post
I understand from my daughters that they are taught not to use the park brake unless they are going to be stopped for some time?!? How long is some time? and it is obviously a precursor to the behaviour described. I must confess it makes no sense to me.

Paul
My IAM instructers say to me, when stopped at Junctions, "Why are you stopped?" Try and answer that question without saying the word 'wait/waiting' because if you say it, then your handbrake must be on.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote