Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Pads & Discs fitting cost

Views : 3519

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 22:47   #21
Zeb246

Why not order parts from Volvo, or MRG, online and fit them yourself? It's dead easy to change, you will save on labour and all that hassle.

I couldn't do it myself, cause the car never came with the Volvo wheel brace, the previous owner lost it.
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 22:52   #22
ian7675

So what happens if you get a flat tyre?
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian7675 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 23:05   #23
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I would not trust a Volvo wheel brace for any repair work actually make that even changing a wheel breaker bar at minimum, torque wrench, proper jack and axle stands.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 23:12   #24
askim98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
The entire brake system is from ATE - incl. calipers, pads, discs and brackets.
I am pretty sure that not everything is made by ate I will check tomorrow
askim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 23:20   #25
Zeb246

I've looked online, and cannot seem to find Volvo wheel brace. I'm going to buy extended/longer wheel brace from Halfords, as it will give me more grip and more control.

How much is it from Volvo?
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 08:26   #26
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Get a proper breaker bar and a set of plastic covered wheel nut removers no more than £30 when I did it.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:03   #27
keithjeb

IMHO an hour isn't even close to enough time to do front discs if you've never done them before. I've never done volvo ones, but have done both the old hyundai and yaris and each took at least 40 minutes to free the disc due to the thing being rusted on to the carrier. Suspect on a brand new car an hour will be doable, but dare say your independents will be budgeting for it being a bastard to get off.
keithjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 18:41   #28
SonyVaio
VOC Member

A nice gentle tap witha hammer (THUMP!) will see the disc come off nicely - okay it may need two!

Your probably more likely to have trouble getting the carrier bolts out than getting the disc off on these cars.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 18:54   #29
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by askim98 View Post
I am pretty sure that not everything is made by ate I will check tomorrow
Erm, if the calipers and brackets are made by ATE and Volvo buys the system from ATE, wouldn't you expect the ATE discs and pads to confirm with the ATE calipers?

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 20:56   #30
v50inred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
NO - But! They are made to Volvo specifications.

You get a standard 3rd party set and a Volvo boxed set and have a look at the balancing nodules on the Volvo boxed product. If you conducted tests on the pads too I'm sure you'll find the lining is not exactly the same either.

SO on the face of things even though Volvo do not make their own pads physically they are 'Made for Volvo' and are of different spec to the makers own standard pads.

I think you need to do some more research into Pagid.

They are an OEM supplier of brake parts, they are not Turkish or Chinese knock offs.

So you are seriously saying that the pads made by a third party company that are then put into a Ford or Volvo box are different to the pads made by the same company in the same factory at the same time and with the same materials but out in the OEM box are not the same.

I am glad there are still people around like you who believe the crap peddled by dealers so that they can keep the prices as high as possible.

Much better that I take the part I recentyl bought for less than Volvo price for my car as it would be better to pay more for a Volvo box.

There is a very subtle but important difference between pattern parts and OEM parts.

Though I did out cheap pads on my Pathfinder, Eicher which are an Indian company, they have behaved impeccably, fitted easily and have produced no more noise or brake dust than the Nissan (Jurid) pads I removed.

When I replace discs and pads I will be putting in Pagid, but was happy to spend less than £40 on front and rear pads.

I only buy brake parts from reputable sources, Euro and GSF are the two main ones and would never buy them from Amazon or eBay, the chance of getting counterfeit parts is much too high for my liking.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vaiotag