Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 vs XC90

Views : 2319

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2017, 13:56   #21
enrm6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortword View Post
You can get both heated windscreen and heated steering wheel. Even in the MY18 XC90 R-Design it's possible. you loose the flappy paddle gear leavers and the sporty steering wheel for a heated one thats the same as the inscription model This I'm OK with. Ordered it that way this time! Never use the paddles anyway.
They have added the heating option to the R-Design steering wheel for MY2018 complete with the paddle gear shift. I ordered in MY17 but got MY18 so this was a nice bonus when the car arrived.
enrm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 14:18   #22
NickHoward

Just a few updates, as I've had to do a 150 mile trip today (still have the XC90).

I was initially going to say that the ride felt very similar to the V90 (V90 on 18" vs the colossal 22" on the XC90) - A couple of bumps felt firm, but generally it was on par with the V90.

However, I believe the XC90 has the air suspension (I can lower and raise the suspension from the buttons in the boot - I'm assuming this isn't standard and indicates the air suspension) - My V90 doesn't have this option.

Regarding the HUD - Massively massively massively miss it. In response to someone who mentioned the polarised glasses - Yes, if you wear polarised glasses the effect of the HUD is lessoned (most of the time). However.... I simply changed my lenses to non polarised, and it's so worth it for the HUD.

I was previously a "I only wear polarised glasses when driving" kinda person - But I've not felt any different since changing (and I get the benefit of the HUD - Huzzah).

I'm hoping other XC90 drivers can help here - I noticed the sun was reflecting really badly onto the 8" Sensus display (through the sunroof, with the sun looking down) - It blurred a good portion of the display.

This can only be from the angle it is at - It's probably 20/30 degrees angled up, compared with the V90 which is much flatter - Has anyone else had this problem?

Lastly.... CarPlay. I'm a big Apple fan, but this is the biggest let down ever. Before I moan without reason (as I didn't play with it for long before I left it alone) - Can someone who uses it answer the following:

1. Can you use Google Maps? I could only use Apple Maps on the display.

2. Can you have the music/song name/artist display on the centre console screen, and also the driver display when you are using the Sensus Nav screen (in this example, I was playing music through Apple Music, but I had programmed the onboard Sat Nav - When I came out of the CarPlay "app", I couldn't see the music info).

3. I found the phone quality worse than normal bluetooth. Anyone else experienced this?

4. It just felt like a really cheap system when compared with the baked in Sensus system - Quite simply, it doesn't look good on an 8" screen, and would look even worse on a 12" screen.

I know people want to "future proof" themselves, and I get that. But with Volvo now moving to Google/Android, Apple not having improved CarPlay much in 2 years (likely due to the slow moving auto industry), and the fact you can retrofit it (CarPlay only, not Android Auto) - I just don't see ANY advantage right now (aside from texts being read out.... woop woop).

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 14:46   #23
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHoward View Post

I'm hoping other XC90 drivers can help here - I noticed the sun was reflecting really badly onto the 8" Sensus display (through the sunroof, with the sun looking down) - It blurred a good portion of the display.
Assuming you mean the centre screen, I haven't noticed this problem but I do have a non-reflective screen protector fitted.

Quote:
I just don't see ANY advantage right now (aside from texts being read out.... woop woop).
You don't need AA or CarPlay to have texts read out (I have neither). It's a standard feature of Sensus.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 15:29   #24
Jcbrown

Quote:
I just don't see ANY advantage right now (aside from texts being read out.... woop woop).
I paid for AA/ACP, and have actually used it once in 4 months (when Sensus map threw a wobble and would not route me to the destination)

Sure, I have played with it a few times, seen what the options are, how it works, and I have shown it to friends. But actually used it: once.

I too just don't see the point at the moment.

About the only plus I can see is that I can voice search Spotify (as I found out today) - I already have almost 10,000 tracks I can search on my USB stick via Sensus (though I admit Sensus voice recognition does not appear to be a patch on Googles)

Yet I lose the map in the drivers display and the HUD. I think I loose the caller id in the HUD (though I have not tested this)

Sure the maps are as up to date as Google make them, but I have not had a problem with the info on Sensus being out of date yet.

Yes I can navigate to a business (rather than an address) on google maps, but I can do the same on the VoC App

If others have suggestions as to what AA/ACP does add, I would love to hear them and be convinced to start using it more.

As Lexman has said, you do not need AA/ACP to be able to have SMS messages read out, that is a standard part of Sensus. As I believe also is the ability to reply to an SMS by voice recognition (as I found out to my surprise the other week )

Interestingly, when I was buying the S90, two salespeople at the local dealer told me I had to get AA/ACP in order to get SMS messages read aloud. I showed them on their demonstrator you did not, as I had had SMS messages read to me when I borrowed the demonstrator.

Maybe AA/ACP will improve over time, integrate with HUD and/or give me something I need/want/like. But until then I think it will just stay as a curiosity.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 15:56   #25
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

Amazon Music was a welcome recent addition to CarPlay.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 16:04   #26
NickHoward

I get Spotify voice search, and Amazon Music are both nice to have features on CarPlay - But you can play these just as easily through bluetooth?

Still not seeing any compelling reason to select it as an option.

Old Jul 6th, 2017, 16:39   #27
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

Quote:
But you can play these just as easily through bluetooth?
Agreed, but you would need to have the phone in a cradle somewhere in reach, rather than stashed in the centre console wouldn't you? The Sensus/CarPlay UI makes it a bit easier (and safer?) to interact with these Apps.

Generally I agree with you, CarPlay is quite underwhelming. If it had Google maps and worked full screen it would be a different thing altogether. If it wasn't for Amazon Music, I might not bother if it's a cost option next time.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 19:58   #28
NickHoward

Final few thoughts as the XC90 has gone back now.

1. The V90 is much more fun to drive - This is all subjective of course, and at the end of the day, neither is exactly "fun fun" - But out of the two, you can have more fun behind the wheel in the V90.

2. The XC90 needs an extra minute to stop quickly!

Ok.... This is a slight exaggeration, but it is noticeably slower on the brakes - I hadn't anticipated it being quite so drastic.

3. The XC90 has to be the loudest car I've ever been in!

I know this subject has been discussed before, but it was my first time of any note in an XC90, and my lord.... The interior noise was horrendous!

In conclusion, both have their good and bad points, and there is no "one shoe that fits all".

These are purely my findings from owning a V90 for 3 months, and only having an XC90 for 2 days (all be it covering 200 miles).

If anyone has anything specific - ask away.

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to NickHoward For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 21:44   #29
NewV90Owner

Default V90cc?

Interesting note on the noise.

I have a V90 at the moment and it is really noisy. I am swapping it for a V90CC.

It seems that some SPA cars (V90, V90CC and XC90) are really noisy. Road vibration resonates around the shell horribly.

I have even driven with a sound spectrum analyser and the noise power is around 100 HZ.

I test drove a car on 20 inch wheels and it was a bit noisy - I specified 18s and it is much noisier. The vibration is so bad in my car that when I fitted the 20 inch wheels it made the floor pan vibrate so much that my heels went numb and my fingers hurt.

Volvo say 'lump it'.

I feel like I have been mugged.
NewV90Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 21:58   #30
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewV90Owner View Post
Interesting note on the noise.

I have a V90 at the moment and it is really noisy. I am swapping it for a V90CC.

It seems that some SPA cars (V90, V90CC and XC90) are really noisy. Road vibration resonates around the shell horribly.

I have even driven with a sound spectrum analyser and the noise power is around 100 HZ.

I test drove a car on 20 inch wheels and it was a bit noisy - I specified 18s and it is much noisier. The vibration is so bad in my car that when I fitted the 20 inch wheels it made the floor pan vibrate so much that my heels went numb and my fingers hurt.

Volvo say 'lump it'.

I feel like I have been mugged.
I'm having a Victor Meldrew moment…..

And you're buying another Volvo? I do not believe it!