Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just a little too dull and sensible?

Views : 5922

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2010, 20:35   #21
Raiderfan
Upsets Yorkshiremen

One kid and one dog? Dear God, I envy you!

If that's all I had to cart around, it would be the easiest decision known to man: a Merc C350 CDI Estate. Fan-freakin'-tastic. That V6 diesel is a peach.

But with three kids and two dogs...just too damn small...

Al
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 21:04   #22
Daleman
Master Member

I don’t think the XC60 is particularly roomy and if the Mercedes V6 is considered a belting engine I would think the E class so equipped is the way to go for space and power.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 21:11   #23
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
AWD and 4WD does not improve grip under normal conditions so unless you push the car in order to make the rears kick in you are driving a FWD car.

Only when you are pushing to the limits does a AWD or 4WD provide better overall balance. Since all corners of the car are providing some drive you have slightly less chance of having oversteer/understeer.
Most people are happy either way and would not notice any difference because they drive well under the capability of the car either FWD or AWD. My comments were made in response to the OP who finds his driving with the XC60 dull and trying to pin down the reason for that. I enjoy driving my D5 XC60 and find it far better than other 4WD and AWD SUVs I have owned, both handling and power response.

The ultimate comparison would be to take a XC60 T6 for a test drive and see if that is dull to drive.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 07:39   #24
Dellsonic

Default Test Drive

Next time you buy a car you might consider a test drive. Mistakes are costly.

<BG>

I know, I have made lots of mistakes myself.

Volvo does what is says on the tin. if you want a big 4WD car, its time to slide out your cheque book. Suggest you look at a speccy Range Rover with Overfinch, or Porsche!

Dell

Last edited by Dellsonic; Nov 6th, 2010 at 07:41. Reason: typos
Dellsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dellsonic For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 17:45   #25
Raiderfan
Upsets Yorkshiremen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
I don’t think the XC60 is particularly roomy and if the Mercedes V6 is considered a belting engine I would think the E class so equipped is the way to go for space and power.
Middle rear seat on an E-Class is significantly narrower in an E-Class than an XC60...just as it is on a 5-series, Q5, X3 etc etc.

The XC60 is the only car of its size we've found where we can fit a full-size child-seat in the middle seat and have our two (squabbling) boys separated by their baby sister.

Go a size up (Q7, M-Class, X5) and they all have wider seats.

And if I was going for an E-Class, I'd go the whole hog and get an M-Class, which is almost exactly the same width and length, but in my view is better looking than the E-Class.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 21:18   #26
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan View Post
Middle rear seat on an E-Class is significantly narrower in an E-Class than an XC60...just as it is on a 5-series, Q5, X3 etc etc.

The XC60 is the only car of its size we've found where we can fit a full-size child-seat in the middle seat and have our two (squabbling) boys separated by their baby sister.

Go a size up (Q7, M-Class, X5) and they all have wider seats.

And if I was going for an E-Class, I'd go the whole hog and get an M-Class, which is almost exactly the same width and length, but in my view is better looking than the E-Class.
I was meaning that the V6 in the E class looked a roomier proposition than the C class.

The WHAT CAR measurements for the E class seat widths are Front 147cm Rear144cm .

The WHAT CAR XC60 measurements are stated as Front 144 Rear 140 so the E class certainly appears to measure as the bigger.

Last edited by Daleman; Nov 6th, 2010 at 21:35. Reason: Addition of measurements
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 22:07   #27
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Not quite correct methinks

4WD is permanently engaged and does give superior road holding, traction and control, thi sis what many Subaru cars use (e.g Impreza, Forester)

The AWD can come into action when going around tight corners as it detects the imbalance between the wheel speeds, however I do agree that when driving in a straight line AWD will not come into operation giving you, in effect, a FWD car.

The other aspect is knowing that it is there to provide the extra surefootedness is a wonderful feeling
I never mentioned traction I spoke of grip. Once you lose grip no matter how many wheels are being driven you are no longer in control. So again whether 4WD or AWD wheel drive provides no more grip.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 09:24   #28
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
I never mentioned traction I spoke of grip. Once you lose grip no matter how many wheels are being driven you are no longer in control. So again whether 4WD or AWD wheel drive provides no more grip.
You did speak of 'grip', and you stated that AWD and FWD provided no benefits over FWD unless you are pushing things to the limit.

Quote:
AWD and 4WD does not improve grip under normal conditions so unless you push the car in order to make the rears kick in you are driving a FWD car.

Only when you are pushing to the limits does a AWD or 4WD provide better overall balance. Since all corners of the car are providing some drive you have slightly less chance of having oversteer/understeer.
Using your argument a 4WD or AWD must be better as it has the potential to provide more 'grip' having 2 additional wheels that can provide 'grip' when the FWD has lost 'grip'

I also contest that 'grip' and 'traction' are terms that are synonymous with each other; one being the consumer term and the other being the engineering term.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 09:45   #29
Dodgy77
YAYAY

Dont you think its all getting a bit silly now boys ?
Dodgy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dodgy77 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 10:50   #30
Vecais

In what way silly?

This is a polite discussion of different points of view. The forum would become dull and boring if everyone had the same sensible outlook, everyone lined up like ducks in a row.

The nature of debate is somebody can propose an idea and others can rebut if they do not agree. People can slightly disagree or they can have a diametrically opposed outlook. It does not matter, the debate is to everybody's benefit if it clarifies the issue.

In this thread the key proposition by the OP is that the XC60 is dull and boring to drive. Do you agree?

The other issue mentioned, does roadholding (traction, grip etc) matter in this respect?