Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Beautiful 740 Volvo

Views : 4585

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2011, 12:13   #21
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Volvo 700s.

It is unfortunate but the market decides...it appears very difficult to get much more than £500 - £600 for a very nice 744 (there are always exceptions that will contradict my view).

745s may achieve a little more if exceptional - 745s will also have a very different market to a 744 -tradesmen looking for a cheap"van"for example.

I am a big fan of the 744 (as some members will know - and you know who you are!), but most classic Volvo buyers will prefer, for a range of reasons (one being fashion), the 244.

The 7 series will have its time - clearly the original style is the one to have and not the facelift.

Prufrock(happy to be in a minority).

Last edited by Prufrock; Dec 18th, 2011 at 14:23. Reason: typo
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 19:26   #22
samgdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Well I happen to own two rather nice estate cars that happen to be of a very similare age H(1990) and J reg(1992).The 740 H reg feels newer and is wider and lower,the 240 J reg feels older and is narrower and higher.I could if pushed find good and bad with both designs but I enjoy both and consider both to be classic's whichever way you define classic They are both over twenty years old which by todays standard of car is quite good.The 240 is a tried and tested design classic IMHO hence it's longevity in production run.The 740 was an attempt to produce a cheaper to make car and to bring it into the modern era,The sales weren't good at first launch hence the continued production of the 240.I still thoroughly enjoy driving both and they both have there own characters.Unlike the modern cars that just get you there and back.

Anyway always nice to have a friendly debate but the fact remains the 740 saloon on this post is rather clean and original therefore making it more desirable to the keen enthusiast.

I'm watching several of both models on ebay and the prices can vary from just below scrap value to just rediculously high.
If I like a car very much then the price isn't the most important factor.although I won't pay silly money.Only what I think it's worth.
Regards Brian.
Did send you address did you get it not sure it went through
samgdp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to samgdp For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 19:37   #23
LankyTim
Missing the point

Many say that the 740 is a better car than the 240, it is, afterall an evolution of the 240 design. They are very different cars, If I was driving to the north of Scotland i'd probably prefer a nice wafty 740 but for everyday motoring I think the 240 just drives better, I also found my 740 and 940s to be a bit unwieldly in certain situations. Maybe they were just a bit too big for me... and i'd saying that as an ex-lorry driver!

Of course the 240 would probably need welding every now and again to keep it on the road!

Prufrock, you are right about white making a comeback, historically it has always been an unpopular colour though.

Regarding the ebay 740.. its in the only colour less popular than white- gold!!!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 19:52   #24
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi Sam I only got one message!Asking me if I got "THE" message you sent.
So NO I didn't get your first message with address details.I look forward to recieving another message soon.
I have not long been home as I was out and about.
Take care Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 20:43   #25
JMallows

Hi Sam, i used to live on Marine Parade, and know where you live, (I recognised it from the photos). Assuming you put a years MoT on it I would like to have a look some time after christmas, around the 29th or so, if thats ok?

Thanks
JMallows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JMallows For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 08:01   #26
samgdp

Hi, Yes feel free to come and look but have not yet decided if I will sell it or not.
Regards
samgdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 10:18   #27
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
Many say that the 740 is a better car than the 240, it is, afterall an evolution of the 240 design. They are very different cars, If I was driving to the north of Scotland i'd probably prefer a nice wafty 740 but for everyday motoring I think the 240 just drives better, I also found my 740 and 940s to be a bit unwieldly in certain situations. Maybe they were just a bit too big for me... and i'd saying that as an ex-lorry driver. Regarding the ebay 740.. its in the only colour less popular than white- gold!!!
Couple of surprising points here; the 240 and 740 are near indentical dimensionally - the optical illusion is that the 740 architecture(body)is more angular(an audacious styling departure for Volvo at the time), and therefore it looks bigger.

The 740 is so much roomier inside, and a much more refined drive - this makes it a great/better daily driver.

You mention colour"popularity"are you referring to when these cars were new - I presume not. If we're talking survivors here then gold is a rare colour - and don't you get so bored seeing all those damn silver cars? And there's me with a sliver 745!

Don't get me wrong I like the 200, but prefer the 700.

Prufrock.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 10:54   #28
brodgar
I've Been Banned

what is the colourcode for sliver 740 please???

must be a very special edition
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 12:15   #29
57RKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post

The 740 is so much roomier inside, and a much more refined drive - this makes it a great/better daily driver.

Prufrock.
I think that Volvo would have been be pretty disappointed, if after finally replacing a design conceived in the 60s, that they didnt make its 80s successor a bit more refined / better; wouldn't they ??
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 16:13   #30
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57RKL View Post
I think that Volvo would have been be pretty disappointed, if after finally replacing a design conceived in the 60s, that they didnt make its 80s successor a bit more refined / better; wouldn't they ??
Stating the obvious, but underlines my comments about the superiority of the 700.

This was when car manufacturers products did actually, objectively, improve over time.

Prufrock.

Tags
69000 miles, e reg., volvo740 gle