Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nokian Tyres

Views : 13545

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 21:53   #21
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick lince View Post
It should be noted from Arianne's reply that 5mm/6mm was left on the tyres. Still if another 9000 miles are managed the 18,000 total only seems to be on par with other brands and not at all as good as other users.
Not too good when you consider the wear rate on my Vredstien's.

Check out.....http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51388

Roy
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 19:46   #22
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Nokian NRVi wear rate

Dear All,

The wear rate is indicative of our experience.

It's difficult for me to be very precise because we swap the summer / winter tyres around and I don't keep a record of the exact mileage (I've just consulted the invoices from the dealer for the latest 2007 Nokian tyres though).

We have covered 45,000 miles since our XC90 was new in April 2006. In that time the Continental Premium Contact OE tyres wore out completely. Again, it's difficult to be precise but I remember that I wasn't that impressed with the wear rate for the Conti's.

The Pirelli Scorpion (Snow & Ice) tyres are on the second winter. Their wear rate seems similar to the Conti's - perhaps marginally better.

The Nokian NRVi's appear to experience a similar wear rate too.

I've just asked my family whether my driving style is 'hard'. They say that the style is more 'touring coach driver'!

To be frank, I'm not sure how some folks get such high mileage from their XC90 tyres. Perhaps it's the rubber, perhaps their driving style or maybe their journey profiles. But my own experience is that the Nokian's appear only marginally better than the Conti's for wear rate - but they were only £100 a corner which is good value compared to the price of the Conti Premium Contact.

I am resigned to approx 18k - 23k from a set of rubber on this car. That's life.

No doubt much advice will now follow concerning tips and brands that will help my £ go further.......and it's welcomed as any budget savings without increasing risk will be well received.

Best wishes folks.

Arianne
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 21:40   #23
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Dear All,

No doubt much advice will now follow concerning tips and brands that will help my £ go further.......and it's welcomed as any budget savings without increasing risk will be well received.

Arianne
Are you using the Volvo Eco setting Arriane? (40 psi all round)

All the best.
Roy
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:11   #24
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Volvo eco-setting?

Roy,

What's the 'eco-setting' at 40PSI?

The guide on the inside of my fuel flap says that, for normal running, the pressure should be down at 32PSI (from memory). There is the option to increase the pressure when running 'fully loaded' up to 36-37PSI (again, from memory). But nothing to indicate as high a pressure as 40PSI.

And, forgive my inexperience but, does the amount of load actually inside the car make any material difference when checking the air tyre pressures? When we go to the garage our tyres are always cold and the car empty.

At 40PSI are there any implications for tyre integrity, road holding etc?

Thanks for the first of, what will no doubt be many tips.

Regards

Arianne.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 21:21   #25
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Roy,

What's the 'eco-setting' at 40PSI?

The guide on the inside of my fuel flap says that, for normal running, the pressure should be down at 32PSI (from memory). There is the option to increase the pressure when running 'fully loaded' up to 36-37PSI (again, from memory). But nothing to indicate as high a pressure as 40PSI.

And, forgive my inexperience but, does the amount of load actually inside the car make any material difference when checking the air tyre pressures? When we go to the garage our tyres are always cold and the car empty.

At 40PSI are there any implications for tyre integrity, road holding etc?

Thanks for the first of, what will no doubt be many tips.

Regards

Arianne.
I was told on the XC90 forum that the Eco setting is mentioned in the later XC90 handbook, by the guy who's done over 50,000 miles on his Nokian WR's using the Eco setting. I've been using it since last May without any problems re grip etc.

The way you check the pressure should be fine but I always use my own pressure gauge rather than the garage one.

All the best.

Roy
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 09:01   #26
bircham

On my 2007 MY xc90 D5 the tyre pressure settings are inside the drivers door on a little sticker. Normal setting is 32 but they have an eco setting of 39 psi. I tried it once but the ride ws awfullky hard on our country roads. I would imagine that if you did a lot of motorway miles it would make no real difference to the ride but would reduce your fuel consumption - I just couldn't live with the crashier ride.

Jon

PS I am running Nokian WRs (have done since November). They are no noisier IMHO but they don't have the same grip as the Contis. ( MInd you they were almost semi-slick when I got rid of hem at 14000 miles!). In the rain mud and slush they are absolutely brilliant.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:18   #27
tem
Premier Member

Default XC90 Tyre Pressures.

Regarding ECO Tyre Pressure, go to pages 153 and 154.

5.81Mb download of XC90 Owners Handbook.

http://www.volvocars.com/NR/rdonlyre..._tp9466web.pdf

tem.

PS - Once downloaded, consider saving for further referance.

Last edited by tem; Jan 27th, 2008 at 12:33. Reason: Added text.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 13:47   #28
GSMGuy
Master Member

TBH, I've been running mine @ 40psi for a month or two now, definately helped the economy, and I actually think the ride is BETTER - not so much "sway" so to speak, definately feels if anything, a little sprtier through the bends - no noticeable loss of grip or traction in the wet or dry, and no complaints from (pregnant) other half

So when I get my new Nokians in a few weeks, will be sticking to the 40psi setting - going to have a full 4 wheel alignment/geometry check & adjust done too - as rears are wearing more at the outer edges than anywhere else on car.

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 18:43   #29
Patrick lince

Having covered 8000 miles from new in the first six months of XC90 ownership, my conti's are showing even wear, but I reckon it will be a miracle if I get to 20,000 miles on them.

I am far too slap dash to actually measure the depth (attention to detail never has been a strong point) so it is only a guess, but I reckon I will be changing mine by 17-18,000 miles.

Thanks to all the owners who have put out opinions on their tyres. I will definately go with Nokians when it is time to change.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 12:56   #30
wattsy

I am to looking to change tyres but have seen the cost of Nokians escalate to £156 per tyre (for winter tyre) with MYTYRES.co.uk. Does this now make them a premium brand! I have been offered Pirellis from local dealer at £103 fitted but am conscious that they may not last as long as Nokians but 2/3rds the price. Any comments gratefully received.
wattsy is offline   Reply With Quote