Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water temperature gauge - errr.. not there!

Views : 12952

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2010, 00:00   #21
richardbell556

older cars even had oil psi ...now thats usful got in works astra other week for first time noticed that had no temp/ too stupid ... didnt know this about newer volvos but sounds stupid as a lot are used for towing caravans..
richardbell556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 15:45   #22
Westyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbell556 View Post
older cars even had oil psi ...now thats usful got in works astra other week for first time noticed that had no temp/ too stupid ... didnt know this about newer volvos but sounds stupid as a lot are used for towing caravans..
The Westfield I bulit had an oil pressure gauge, frightened me to death when it dropped to zero...eeek....

...connector had fallen off the back....phew!!
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 16:59   #23
longshanks8

Default eng management light

Hi, 99 V70 petrol has been fault free for a while,but today dreaded eng management light on,eng temp reading low ,fan ops appear norm,running for short while after shut down,fault code po 116 01 01 eng coolant temp ckt range performance on geniscan obd 11 reader,any ideas what parts to think about.not too much help from agents here in spain,thanks to all in advance you have come up trumps in the past.regds antonio
longshanks8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 12:07   #24
Tromps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I think both are vital but does anyone look at a temperature gauge these days ?
The answer is "yes". Here in south-eastern Australia we are experiencing another locust plague. (It has been a wet year - courtesy of La Nina). Consequently, it is necessary to fit a fibreglass fly-screen over the air intakes in front of the car's radiators to stop the radiators from becoming clogged with locusts - which one encounters in large numbers and are not easy to remove. I drove my V70 T6 from Adelaide to Melbourne on new year's eve - a trip of about 750km - and the temperature in the shade exceeded 40 degrees Celsius all day (peaking at about 46 degrees in the Wimmera - although 48 degrees was displayed on the dashboard of the car). I would have much preferred to have had, and been able to look at, a water temperature gauge rather than sit wondering when my dead locust collection would cause the engine temperature warning light to illuminate.
Tromps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 12:35   #25
tommyweaves
Premier Member

I like to have a temp gauge so that I can see when the engine's warmed up and I can get my boot down, but that's the only reason. Overheating engines in modern cars (im my opinion and experience) is extremely rare.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 22:49   #26
FWH

Not indicating when the coolant is warm enough to fully use the engine is crazy in my opinion.

If anyone does have a sequence of button presses that activates a "hidden menu" for water temperature, I would be more than happy to hear this.

However, there are a number of OBDII solutions available.

Either for pulling data into a smart phone or Garmin sat nav or, with their own display. Some examples below, I would be glad to hear of any feed back on the Scangauge or ideas or where to put the display.

Bluetooth dongle to connect to smartphone with app:

http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIAG.../dp/B003MQ89X4

Own display:

http://www.scangauge.com/products/

http://www.dashdaq.com/

For Garmin satnav with BT:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354
FWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 17:43   #27
Westyman
VOC Member

The ScanGauge thing looks good and I have found a price in GBP.

Is 2010 V70 D5 OBD2 compliant then?
1972 MG B GT
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 17:36   #28
FWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyman View Post
Is 2010 V70 D5 OBD2 compliant then?
Yes, must be.

Any ideas on where to mount a Scangauge?
FWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 17:47   #29
Westyman
VOC Member

Good point, just been out to have a look (in the dark!). I had wondered about just above the switch panel with the headlight switch but then it's hidden by the steering wheel. So I wondered about on the housing imediately behind the steering wheel but then it could mask part of the instruments - not that there's a lot to hide....which brings me back, sort of, to the OP!!
1972 MG B GT
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 16:49   #30
bobsy852

So it isn't possible at all to see the coolant temperature in these cars without the use of a diagnostics reader?
Some posts in this thread mention some hidden onboard computer (OBC) features?
Do any of these include the coolant temperature?

I don't want to have to fork out for a diagnostics kit when ever I come to change my coolant just so I can check it has bled properly and isn't overheating!
I'd also like to be able to check the coolant temp should I make a rest stop on a long journey (like the one I'm undertaking tomorrow)!
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote