Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

All Season Tyres......Goodyear Vector 4

Views : 11981

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2013, 15:13   #21
XC70 Driver

Hi macs

Did you replace all 4 tyres with the vectors or just two? I am considering trying the vectors on the front for the winter to see how they go (2WD). The rears still have 7mm so should still be good depth on the back for the winter.
XC70 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 18:11   #22
macs

Yes, I replaced all four tyres.
macs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macs For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 03:25   #23
Backhill1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivea View Post
I never mentioned snow in my post but I did recognise that in some areas of UK they could be useful but to make them mandatory is not necessary. The countries where there is some form of mandating have longer and colder winters than UK. Even though last winter was colder than average the temperatures for all bar 2 months were averaging above 7 deg C. Our climate is such that to mandate winter tyres makes no sense at all for the southern half of the UK and the costs would outweigh the benefits. It's best left to the individual to decide as in France where they are not mandatory but required if you decide to go into certain regions of the country viz alpine resorts where low temperatures and snow are virtually certain in certain months. Even in Germany true winter tyres are not mandatory only M&S rated tyres. The majority of European countries do not mandate winter tyres. Surprisingly this includes ones with far colder winters than UK ie Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Hungary amongst them. So the case for mandating in UK is a weak one. Hence my view that in many cases we are being 'conditioned' to believe that they are essential to safe driving in UK winters. One of my worries would be the motorists that leave winter tyres on all year when in UK our normal tyres are optimised for UK temperate conditions which prevail in a large part of the country for 9-10 months of the year as a minimum.
This is a really good point, my old v50 on winter tyres (wintrac vreidestein) were dangerous when the ambient rise to about 10deg+ very spongy and the traction control light would cut in on corners etc.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 14:14   #24
clivea
clivea

Yes I agree, I think when Continental say if you can only afford one set of tyres then they would recommend winters. But whilst this may have some merit in countries with cold and long winters I feel it is totally inappropriate for UK. The Met Office website gives a 30 year look back at UK weather and if you look at the statistics for the number of days where there is air frost it really is minimal. So unless you live and/or work where its colder or has regular snow (Scotland , Yorkshire etc) the case for mandating winter tyres in UK doesn't exist. If drivers wish to fit them it should be a personal choice.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 19:20   #25
XC70 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivea View Post
Yes I agree, I think when Continental say if you can only afford one set of tyres then they would recommend winters. But whilst this may have some merit in countries with cold and long winters I feel it is totally inappropriate for UK. The Met Office website gives a 30 year look back at UK weather and if you look at the statistics for the number of days where there is air frost it really is minimal. So unless you live and/or work where its colder or has regular snow (Scotland , Yorkshire etc) the case for mandating winter tyres in UK doesn't exist. If drivers wish to fit them it should be a personal choice.
Clivea,

I agree with your comments above, I am starting to think about just replacing my tyres with the Pirelli Scorpion Assimetrico which are OE as they seem fine very capable in the wet and dry. I know they are not great in the snow but I could use the snow socks I have as these are very useful in the winter when if you get stuck. I still have about two months before I have to replace the front tyres which gives me time to decided. I know winter and summers tyres would be the best option but I was hoping to run one set of tyres if possible, not so much for the financial aspect more the inconvenience of swapping and storing tyres.

One final question, how bad are the Pirelli Scorpion Assimetrico in snow? I had little chance to try them last winter (they were OK) but from what most people say they are not great?
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 20:07   #26
clivea
clivea

Thumbs up

Cannot really give much advice although I've stuck with Assimetricos since new but not really driven them in much snow. I've had no concerns during the winter at anytime but limited experience in snow. They were okay but if we get much snow I'd use the Note with All-Seasons mountain symbol Kumhos or my Pajero with Wild Peaks All Terrains. Hopefully someone else can give you a better report.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clivea For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 14:12   #27
steve...

Don't forget that there are WINTER tyres and FOUR SEASON tyres, sometimes called COLD WEATHER tyres.

Winter tyres are probably unnecessary unless you live on a mountain in Wales or Scotland, most of us need FOUR SEASON tyres in winter in the UK. These cope very well with warmer/dry days but will also not freeze in snow and ice like summer tyres will.

I use Nokian WRG2, WR A3 and Continental TS830P tyres and these perform very well in the UK and can be left on all year round if you want to. Fantastic in the wet and slush of our winters.

It doesn't help that even tyre manufacturers seem to erroneously label tyres as "winter" when they're really four or all season tyres.

Full on winter tyres are not great to drive on in the dry but for must of us in the UK, they are the wrong choice.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 17:38   #28
XC70 Driver

Cool

Hi macs,

How are those Vector Four Seasons getting on in this hot weather, have they stuck to the tarmac yet?
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 14:36   #29
d_aero

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I ran Nokian Entyres last year on a Skoda Yeti and found no difference in running terms between them and summer tyres. Noise and wear rate were both low. My car had 4wd so I can't truly comment on grip in snow other than to say the car did not miss a beat throughout another bad NE winter. Whether that was the tyres or the haldex system I could not say exactly but I would happily get them again if I was going to get one set only.

The Vredestein and Vectors were always highly rated on the Skoda forum as the best two on the market, Nokians came a close third. They were tyre obsessed there, especially people in rural areas where gritters don't exist so I would trust their views.
I have these on my S80. Found them to be very good in the snow and normal driving. Have worn really well, only down to 6 on wear guage after atleast 15k miles. Would happily fit again. Used to go fir performance summer tyres but will stick to allseason in future.

Remember to check the economy rating as the better ratings can easily save you money in the long run even if the tyre is a lot more expensive to buy.
d_aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 22:50   #30
XC70 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_aero View Post
I have these on my S80. Found them to be very good in the snow and normal driving. Have worn really well, only down to 6 on wear guage after atleast 15k miles. Would happily fit again. Used to go fir performance summer tyres but will stick to allseason in future.

Remember to check the economy rating as the better ratings can easily save you money in the long run even if the tyre is a lot more expensive to buy.
Hi d_aero

Was it the Vector 4 seasons that you have fitted to your S80 or the Nokians