Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Dipstick

Views : 12393

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2017, 13:15   #21
JDmac
JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
the dipstick is like any other , the upper line is MAX and the lower is MIN , the level should be around 2/3 up the marked area .. This should correspond to FULL on the dash gauge . But when they change the oil they should recalibrate the gauge , so that it reads full what ever amount they put in .
as long as the oil is between MIN and MAX and the gauge says MAX or very near that is Fine ...
Hi Clan, my manual dipstick does not have any flat surface or upper/lower lines.
the main part is all crosses ie X and the oil is just covering the ball end although the electronic one states oil level is correct & at the full mark.

Last edited by JDmac; May 13th, 2017 at 13:51.
JDmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 15:23   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDmac View Post
Hi Clan, my manual dipstick does not have any flat surface or upper/lower lines.
the main part is all crosses ie X and the oil is just covering the ball end although the electronic one states oil level is correct & at the full mark.
so the level is a bit low , but if you raise it to the correct level it will almost certainly come up with a message "too full" .
It needs the physical oil level topping up and then the oil gauge re setting with VIDA .
You did wait for a while before checking the level after the oil had settled i hope ...
Old May 13th, 2017, 17:59   #23
JDmac
JD

Quote:
so the level is a bit low , but if you raise it to the correct level it will almost certainly come up with a message "too full" .
It needs the physical oil level topping up and then the oil gauge re setting with VIDA .
You did wait for a while before checking the level after the oil had settled i hope ...
Yes indeed,Clan. Left two days as was not needed. That's the second time of recently checking. Will do an oil & filter change after the week end. 5.7 ltrs ,the same as the indy who has done the last two. Not using the car tomorrow - will be out in the Corsair Estate - made when cars were simple,cheers,JDmac
Old May 16th, 2017, 12:28   #24
JDmac
JD

Hi Clan, oil & filter changed - refilled with 5.7 litres - Technician dipstick showed it at two Xs from top. Turned the car round,then left till this morning. Electronic dipstick shows it as full this morning, but tech dipstick only shows on 3 Xs from bottom, which I would expect that's because of filling the filter & whatever is retained in the oil gallery.Measured what came out which was well over 5 litres. ,cheers,JDmac.

Last edited by JDmac; May 16th, 2017 at 12:47.
Old May 16th, 2017, 18:50   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDmac View Post
Hi Clan, oil & filter changed - refilled with 5.7 litres - Technician dipstick showed it at two Xs from top. Turned the car round,then left till this morning. Electronic dipstick shows it as full this morning, but tech dipstick only shows on 3 Xs from bottom, which I would expect that's because of filling the filter & whatever is retained in the oil gallery.Measured what came out which was well over 5 litres. ,cheers,JDmac.
That's good , so the mechanical level is fine now , The gauge takes 20 miles to read the correct level after an oil change so expect a high warning in a day or so ..
You need to reset the oil gauge in VIDA now so that it knows that MAX corresponds to the correct oil level which you have of course...
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 15:40   #26
Vic63

Default Service dipstick access

Quote:
the "service dipstick" is grey and near the bottom of the engine at the front, you will need a torch to find it .. the electronic reading is accurate , remember it needs 20 miles to stabalise after a change in level , like a service for example ..
Is this 'service dipstick' accessible from the top of the egine bay on an XC70 D5 2009 model - i.e without removing shields underneath, want to remove small amount of oil with a syphon extractor pump -
Vic63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 17:33   #27
FIBAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryppl View Post
Can anyone tell me where the oil dipstick is under the bonnet. I have looked in the owners manual and the picture does not resemble the engine at all. I can see where you would top oil up but not where the dipstick is to test the level of oil.
Engine is V70 D5 205PS

Thank you

Jerry
I had exactly the same issue when I bought mine 4 months ago. The salesman told me it didnt have one at all.
My instrumentation does not allow me to check the level, apparently it will tell me when it needs oil which I find a little unsatisfactory as I always checked my oil weekly.
There is a dipstick at the left hand side of the engine, very low down and very difficult to reach unless you have skinny arms, I doubt if mine has ever been out as when I did mange to squeeze my arm down there I couldnt budge it so I will have to make a tool to remove and replace it.
FIBAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 18:03   #28
green van man
Premier Member

I recently started a thread about the full sized replacement dip stick kit, known as the police spec.
The part numbers were given by a member here and he had obtained them from Volvo sweden.
Cost £63 without labour and took me 3/4 hour on my drive.
Sorry no idea how to link to the thread but think I titled it Full Sized Dip Stick.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote