Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'engine emission service required'

Views : 6525

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 18:41   #21
AlteredCarbon

I've got exactly the same message popped up on mine tonight. Will check in the morning to see if it's a one off, or if some further investigation is required. My first port of call was here to see what the solution might be. I'll give the intake a clean and see how the MAF is first too.
AlteredCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 21:21   #22
AlteredCarbon

Well, spent a bit of time hunting for the problem today with no joy. MAF and intake all appear okay. Did manage to snap the plastic end off of the dipstick though which wasn't a great moment Guess I'll have to order a new one tomorrow.

Anyone local with Vida able to help me pinpoint the problem with a quick code read?
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 07:19   #23
lozza34

Default 'engine emission service required'

Hello I had this fault come up a few weeks ago on my 2000 V70 2.4 (140bhp).

Disconnected battery for 10 minutes, then re-connected and fault went away.

I'm overseas right now, but when I get back I really need to invest in a diagnostic tool to find out what the code is, and potential fault.

Any top tips on what tool to buy?

Thanks anyway.
lozza34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 22:24   #24
AlteredCarbon

Well strangely enough, the warning cleared of its own accord at the start of the week, so I thought it might have been a one off. However it returned last night, but the circumstances of which might shed some light on a possible cause. On both occassions when the fault has appeared on the dash I've been heading up a reasonably steep hill. Might just be concidence, but wondered if this might point to a particular problem?

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 01:28   #25
stuartggray
StuartGray

The Volvo Vida/DICE really is the only thing I know that will do it. Anything else is guesswork.
stuartggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 09:38   #26
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredCarbon View Post
Well strangely enough, the warning cleared of its own accord at the start of the week, so I thought it might have been a one off. However it returned last night, but the circumstances of which might shed some light on a possible cause. On both occassions when the fault has appeared on the dash I've been heading up a reasonably steep hill. Might just be concidence, but wondered if this might point to a particular problem?

Any thoughts?
I am having the same symptom which every couple of weeks the "engine service required" and orange triangle comes on. The cruise control also stopped functioning which was a huge clue as after connecting the laptop to my car the fault seems to be the brake pedal angle sensor. It also cleared its own MIL and the CC started working again so it was a soft fault. I plotted the brake pedal sensor on a realtime graph and it looked fine, so it's one of those annoying intermittent faults that happens every so often due to worn/dirty tracks or bad connections. Altered Carbon, if you have CC, does it work when the MIL is on and if you need some codes pulled gimme a shout as I am west of Glasgow.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan

Last edited by ShadeTek; Jun 14th, 2012 at 10:01.
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 23:15   #27
AlteredCarbon

Thanks for the replies and offer ShadeTek - Yosser was kind enough to help me out with some code reading via Dice tonight which has shed some further light on things.

Quick update for anyone interested - the fault code is 284: ECM 261A Long Term Fuel Trim: Upper Limit which has a few potential causes, including intake hose leaks, MAF sensor, low fuel pressure and o2 sensor.

Once the fault codes were cleared we took it for a quick run, which showed some clear hesitation/missing under WOT around 3-4k and a general lack of performance, but didn't throw any further faults back onto dashboard. We also monitored the MAF reading at idle which was within the normal range (0.88 if I remember correctly). Idle from cold is also a bit high (around 1800rpm) but has been like that since I've owned the car (Nov) so possibly not related.

One other thing we noticed was that the ECM Sensor Front - Bank 2 wasn't giving any reading. Is that normal, or does it potentially indicate an issue with the o2 sensor?
Bank 1 gave a number (without a "v"), whereas the ECM Sensor Rear gave voltage values for both banks.

My planned next stop was to diconnect the MAF to see how this impacts on the running, followed by some MAF cleaning and checking of hoses to look for leaks and take things from there.

Any other thoughts or opinions are welcome though!
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 08:57   #28
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredCarbon View Post
Thanks for the replies and offer ShadeTek - Yosser was kind enough to help me out with some code reading via Dice tonight which has shed some further light on things.

Idle from cold is also a bit high (around 1800rpm) but has been like that since I've owned the car (Nov) so possibly not related.
That is what my engine does from cold. It revs up to about 1800-2000rpm and sits there for about 10 seconds and then drops down to about 800rpm. When the engine is warm it drops within a second to 800rpm. Occasionally I get, for no obvious reason , a skittery start when the engine won't fire and it takes a bit of cranking to get it to go. It's not lawnmower syndrom as I am careful about that.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 00:39   #29
stuartggray
StuartGray

Shadetek, did you get to the bottom of this? Sounds like a duff ETM. (he said, months later)
Past - 1991 740 GL Estate Auto 2.0l
Past - 1985 240 GL Estate 5 Speed 2.3l
stuartggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 01:33   #30
westbranch

Default ESSR - high idle on startup

I had the same issue and found that using SeaFoam spray (carb) cleaner as directed with engine running does a good cleaning of the intake manifold plus other inerds, and will bring the cold start idle back down, after a run. Also used SeaFoam to clean the MAF, spray till it drips and let dry. this removed a MAF diagnostic code error... The ESSR can also be caused by a faulty TPS in the ETM that 2001 P2s are renowned for ... here is a good explanation, scroll about 1 page down http://xemodex.com/technologyimprove...epair-8644344r

HTH