Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Evaporator Temp Sensor Location ?

Views : 20096

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:44   #21
R3dbvll

This is getting quite frustrating.

Just spoke to Volvo (Lancaster in Reading) again. They say that the evan temp sensor part number I have is to do with heating and not the evaporator. They say the evap doesn't have a separate temp sensor, and that they would need to take a look at the car and diagnose the problem.

They also say that from what I've told them, the problem is most likely caused by a broken evaporator. On their books that is 6.5 hours of labour (£700) plus the cost of the parts (at least £200).

This is a joke. This is basically the only thing of any significance that is broken on this car, but it is quite important. I really don't want to get rid of this car because of this problem. There must be a way of fixing this.
R3dbvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:14   #22
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dbvll View Post
This is getting quite frustrating.

Just spoke to Volvo (Lancaster in Reading) again. They say that the evan temp sensor part number I have is to do with heating and not the evaporator. They say the evap doesn't have a separate temp sensor, and that they would need to take a look at the car and diagnose the problem.

They also say that from what I've told them, the problem is most likely caused by a broken evaporator. On their books that is 6.5 hours of labour (£700) plus the cost of the parts (at least £200).

This is a joke. This is basically the only thing of any significance that is broken on this car, but it is quite important. I really don't want to get rid of this car because of this problem. There must be a way of fixing this.
I bet they do!
Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong, but the refrigerant is contained inside the evap, & air flows thru it (like a rad). If it was broken, this would imply it has a leak, then surely you would have no refrigerant left & no freezing pipework.
I would source opinions from other dealers.
If the car hasnt been checked for codes, it might be worth getting it checked. There may be some generous chap on the forum whom would only be too happy to meet up with you.

If you want Vida, It will take a few hours to download:

http://www.soft4cars.org/index.php

Last edited by Marmitespreader; Jul 3rd, 2012 at 12:25.
Marmitespreader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marmitespreader For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:39   #23
R3dbvll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmitespreader View Post
I bet they do!
Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong, but the refrigerant is contained inside the evap, & air flows thru it (like a rad). If it was broken, this would imply it has a leak, then surely you would have no refrigerant left & no freezing pipework.
I would source opinions from other dealers.
If the car hasnt been checked for codes, it might be worth getting it checked. There may be some generous chap on the forum whom would only be too happy to meet up with you.

If you want Vida, It will take a few hours to download:

http://www.soft4cars.org/index.php

Thanks for the link.

I just spoke to PWcars (http://www.pwcars.co.uk), independant Volvo servicing about 30 mins away from me. They said it could be a number of things, including a problem with the compressor having an open circuit, and a number of other things. He said it is highly unlikely to be the evaporator, and thought what Volvo were saying was laughable. They do of course want to do a diagnosis themselves which seems fair enough, but said it would be a set price, and they would definitely tell me what the problem is and what is required to fix it. Might cost up to £75 plus VAT to do this.

If they can diagnose and then fix the problem for a 'reasonable amount', I'd be interested.

Anybody used PW cars?
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 13:11   #24
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

I just spoke to PWcars (http://www.pwcars.co.uk), independant Volvo servicing about 30 mins away from me. They said it could be a number of things, including a problem with the compressor having an open circuit, and a number of other things. He said it is highly unlikely to be the evaporator, and thought what Volvo were saying was laughable. They do of course want to do a diagnosis themselves which seems fair enough, but said it would be a set price, and they would definitely tell me what the problem is and what is required to fix it. Might cost up to £75 plus VAT to do this.

If they can diagnose and then fix the problem for a 'reasonable amount', I'd be interested.

Anybody used PW cars?
They are absolutely correct in the fact that it can be a number of issues, this is what the computer is for, £90, hope it goes sme way to curing the headache. Any work they do is guaranteed.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 13:16   #25
R3dbvll

I shall book the car in with them, and see what they say and report back.

Whatever the fix is, I'll update here as well, for everyone's benefit.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 13:33   #26
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Smile

Quote:
I shall book the car in with them, and see what they say and report back.

Whatever the fix is, I'll update here as well, for everyone's benefit.
PW appear to have been fair & open minded, we await some good news - Jim
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 17:26   #27
timh30

I created a thread (with fix) on this forum (as a guy had a similar problem there).

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...189#post103189
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timh30 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 19:17   #28
R3dbvll

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh30 View Post
I created a thread (with fix) on this forum (as a guy had a similar problem there).

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...189#post103189
Thanks....Marmite linked to that thread earlier. Very helpful. I'll see what the volvo indy says first; if they say its really expensive, then the hack approach might be better.....of course it might not be the evap temp sensor at all..
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 19:50   #29
timh30

Measure the resistance to check the IAT sensor. It should vary with temp.

The sensor was only about £13 (if I recall correctly), so its a relatively cheap thing to try. As I said on the other forum, the 'hack' just replicates the location of the sensor on the LHD vehicles.

Last edited by timh30; Jul 3rd, 2012 at 19:53.
timh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 21:12   #30
R3dbvll

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh30 View Post
Measure the resistance to check the IAT sensor. It should vary with temp.

The sensor was only about £13 (if I recall correctly), so its a relatively cheap thing to try. As I said on the other forum, the 'hack' just replicates the location of the sensor on the LHD vehicles.
Thanks for that.

how would I go about measuring the resistance? I'm afraid I'm quite a noob at this kind of thing.