Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Tyres for 2008 V70 T6

Views : 5935

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2011, 17:56   #21
cx90

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
Interesting winter tyre test that includes "All Season tyres" here

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...test-part2.htm

The conclusion seems to suggest that proper winters are the way to go.
Thank you very much, I think I will get the Continental Winter Contact TS 830
cx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 19:00   #22
tayandre

A chap on the S40/V50/C30 forum commented on getting good service from these folks based in Poland. Their prices do look very keen:

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 19:21   #23
oldsteve
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
A chap on the S40/V50/C30 forum commented on getting good service from these folks based in Poland. Their prices do look very keen:

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/
Yes that was me. Opponeo is a well known and respected (on the continent) Polish company who have only recently started to operate in the UK.

Just received a set of Continental ContiWinterContacts 225/50 R17 98 V For my V70 from them. Ordered online over the weekend, order was confirmed on Monday and delivered this morning (Thursday).

After much research I decided to go to 17" rather than 16" for winters on my R design V70 D5, currently fitted with 18s.

For my MY 2009, the Handbook recommends options of 225x55xR16 or 225x50xR17 - so not a lot of difference in footprint between the 16 & 17s. I particularly wanted V rated tyres as I may trial them year round - more comfortable than the 18s too.

Steve
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 19:55   #24
cloggers

Quote:
. I particularly wanted V rated tyres as I may trial them year round - more comfortable than the 18s too.

Steve
Handling, including braking, is much worse in the summer on wintertyres. They will wear very quickly and not give you good roadhandling, I am sure if you google wintertyres in the summer you will find loads of articles about how bad this is. Winter tyres are as usefull (and dangerous) in the summer as summer tyres in the snow...
cloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 20:29   #25
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:

After much research I decided to go to 17" rather than 16" for winters on my R design V70 D5, currently fitted with 18s.
Which 17" wheels have you chosen?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 22:22   #26
oldsteve
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggers View Post
Handling, including braking, is much worse in the summer on wintertyres. They will wear very quickly and not give you good roadhandling, I am sure if you google wintertyres in the summer you will find loads of articles about how bad this is. Winter tyres are as usefull (and dangerous) in the summer as summer tyres in the snow...
I have googled and read many tyre tests and most of the articles you refer to. But its not the case that ALL winter tyres wear quickly OR that ALL winter tyres give poor roadhandling, especially today as tyre technology advances. Just as with summer tyres, some perform much better than others.
I also agree that there are compromises in year round use, but many drivers including members of these forums have found the advantages of winter tyres fitted all year round CAN often outweigh the disadvantages. I decided to trial the WinterContis and find out for myself:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...test-part2.htm.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 22:30   #27
oldsteve
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
Which 17" wheels have you chosen?
I have a nice set of "Serapis" originally fitted to a V50. Just need to get my local tyre fitter to fit and balance them now.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 22:46   #28
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
I have a nice set of "Serapis" originally fitted to a V50. Just need to get my local tyre fitter to fit and balance them now.
The 17 x 7 "Serapis" wheels (which are listed as an option on the V50) have a 52.5mm offset whereas the listed V70 17 x 7 wheel options have a 50mm offset. Have you researched this with regard to suitability?
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 23:28   #29
oldsteve
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
The 17 x 7 "Serapis" wheels (which are listed as an option on the V50) have a 52.5mm offset whereas the listed V70 17 x 7 wheel options have a 50mm offset. Have you researched this with regard to suitability?
Sadly, yes, I have researched this. Yes, I need to get out more!

Firstly I found the following info relating to offset:

"Your car requires a unique offset. This is where the wheel will sit in relation to the bodyline of the vehicle, realistically you can go 5-7mm outside these recommendations, but always consult a technician if you are unsure, as there are often other factors that need to be considered. Offset is usually stamped on the wheel and is measured in millimetres of et (et is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as insertion depth)."

Then surprisingly I noted that the optional wheels available for the V70 have various offsets from 50 - 55mm:
http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories...lu/default.htm.

So offset doesn't seem to be an issue

Now, if the PCD (5 x 108) and offset (50-55mm) are correct, then it is only the centre bore that needs to be considered (will the wheel fit over the brake discs). After much deliberation I found this useful site:
http://www.wheelfitment.eu/index.php

Very useful for matching Wheels to vehicles (OEM and other marques).

Having said all that.............I've yet to try the wheels to the car, better do that before I fit the tyres then.

Anyway, hope that helps

Steve

Last edited by oldsteve; Aug 18th, 2011 at 23:53.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 01:23   #30
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:

Then surprisingly I noted that the optional wheels available for the V70 have various offsets from 50 - 55mm:
http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories...lu/default.htm.
Steve, I think you need to stay in a little longer.

The Gen 3 V70 wheels with a 50mm offset are 7" wide and the ones with a 55mm offset are 8" wide. (Compare Njord, Balder and Sleipner for example). You need to understand the implications of this and apply it to 7" wide Serapis wheels with a 52'5mm offset.

On Gen 3 V70s if you have 8" wide rims (with 17" or 18" diameter) with the 55mm offset you ought to also have the steering limiter to prevent fouling the wheel arches.

Finally, you need to trial the wheels with the tyres as it's the tyres that foul the bodywork not the alloys. You'll have noted the recommended tyre size for the 7 x 17 V50 alloy is 205/50/17 whereas the same size alloy on the Gen 3 V70 has a recommended tyre size of 225/50/17, i.e. 20mm wider.

Incidentally, the centre bore is the hole in the middle of the wheel, not the internal diameter - nothing to do with brake disc size.

I'd recommend changing your "Serapis" wheels for "Balder" wheels as they look similar (thick 5 spokes) but the Balder is the correct dimension.

Last edited by tommyweaves; Aug 19th, 2011 at 01:41.