Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£2K for new headlamps!

Views : 6225

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 17:08   #21
Arctic fox
XC90 D5 SE Lux MY08

As Shadeyman points out, if the car has the projector type Xenon Active lights, then there will be warning on the dash to advise lights set to RH Traffic. This can be altered by holding down the button in the car to change to LH Traffic.

That would alter the beam pattern to fail an MOT but you should see the warning on the dash every time you start up that the lights are set to RH traffic, when on LH Traffic, the warning does not display on a UK vehicle.
Arctic fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 18:14   #22
Mistero
XC90? How very Harrogate!

Failing that, here's a pair of headlamps that might suit. It's about the only thing left that's usable on this XC90.

http://vehicles.motorhog.co.uk/break...tomatic/33328/
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 18:33   #23
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistero View Post
Failing that, here's a pair of headlamps that might suit. It's about the only thing left that's usable on this XC90.

http://vehicles.motorhog.co.uk/break...tomatic/33328/
Hellfire that's some fire!
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 12:34   #24
blowupp

Much thanks to every one for the info and suggestions if you chaps had not weighed in we would be cornered!

Latest: After complaining via email we were contacted by volvo uk rep who phoned to say that Doves main dealer had told him; "...the headlamp beam deflectors are faulty".

JRL: not ageing - theres a bit of edge crazing but they are like new elsewhere. After talking to my missus: We believe Doves main dealer decided the bulbs were correct and did not change or test them just quoted for replacement headlamps!

Shadeyman : its got Xeon lights with metal covers of some kind (see pic) but no L/Rh switching info in handbook or console button; the manual shows stick on mask instructions.
Im not able to answer Sexton16: "is model D2S or D2R" where would this info be found? for info - the barcode image is from decal on left headlamp unit pictured.

If anyone can help I will come up with info and test promptly.
The info on my car from log book is: first reg 03/03/2006 XC90 SE D5 Auto Variant CZ71 Version CZ7146?? (sic) . Chassis YV1CZ714661286***

first time ive tried an image so just in case here is link to duplicate photo.
blowupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 12:44   #25
JRL
Master Member

Do what I did. Take the rubber cover off the back of the headlamp and take a picture using a small digital camera of the back of the bulb. It may state on the back of it which type it is.

If it does then try and get a look at another car, same age, same model and see if it is fitted with the same bulbs.

Or try Volvo again and ask if it is the correct bulb for your car.

I would also try another dealer.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 13:38   #26
blowupp

I've got D1S bulbs in the car currently. See a pic: http://goo.gl/T9OjUK

Just visited my very helpful local garage and they are going to order a few bulbs for appraisal. Will keep you all posted.
blowupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 13:58   #27
JRL
Master Member

Same as the ones fitted to my S60.

I replaced mine shortly after I bought the car due to the headlight performance being rubbish. The way of securing the bulbs on your car is different to mine and looks a lot simpler. After I replaced both my bulbs I noticed the passenger side wasn't correctly aligned. Had to take the bulb out and put it back in as although it was secured in the socket it wasn't pushed in far enough.

I wonder if it could be as simple as that? Incorrect fitting or just dodgy bulbs?

If you do go to take them out to try different bulbs do it with the key out of the ignition. There is enough voltage going through those bulbs to knock you into next week!
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 14:08   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowupp View Post
Much thanks to every one for the info and suggestions if you chaps had not weighed in we would be cornered!

Latest: After complaining via email we were contacted by volvo uk rep who phoned to say that Doves main dealer had told him; "...the headlamp beam deflectors are faulty".

JRL: not ageing - theres a bit of edge crazing but they are like new elsewhere. After talking to my missus: We believe Doves main dealer decided the bulbs were correct and did not change or test them just quoted for replacement headlamps!

Shadeyman : its got Xeon lights with metal covers of some kind (see pic) but no L/Rh switching info in handbook or console button; the manual shows stick on mask instructions.
Im not able to answer Sexton16: "is model D2S or D2R" where would this info be found? for info - the barcode image is from decal on left headlamp unit pictured.

If anyone can help I will come up with info and test promptly.
The info on my car from log book is: first reg 03/03/2006 XC90 SE D5 Auto Variant CZ71 Version CZ7146?? (sic) . Chassis YV1CZ714661286***

first time ive tried an image so just in case here is link to duplicate photo.
Your car uses D2R bulbs ,,

Again we only have the final diagnosis here not the initial symptom , what is not happening ? Is the beam pattern distorted ? Is the beam too high or low ?

If there is a fault with BOTH headlamps it is likely the car not the lamps .
Yes maybe a bulb isnt seated properly but try and find out what the symptoim is ...
Yes i would try another dealer too !
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 14:16   #29
JRL
Master Member

So that means the D1S bulbs he has fitted now are incorrect? If so then the first thing to do would be to fit the correct bulbs and go from there.

Or are D1S and D2R interchangeable?
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 14:19   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
So that means the D1S bulbs he has fitted now are incorrect? If so then the first thing to do would be to fit the correct bulbs and go from there.

Or are D1S and D2R interchangeable?
The D1S has the igniter as part of the bulb if i am not mistaken ?
Whilst D2R has it separate ..
NO the bulbs will not be interchangable !